1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music Man St. Vincent signature?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by regularslinky, Feb 18, 2016.

1. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Let's not get this locked like the last thread on this guitar!

Comments.
    0. that inlay makes my eyes cross.
    1. 7lb5oz? I thought it was going to be definitely light. That seems average.
    2. 25.5" scale -- again, I thought it was going to be for smaller guitarists, but that's cool.
    3. triple mini-hum: not exactly firebird, but interesting nonetheless.
    4. Five way switch: besides each pup on its own, it has B+M+N and B+N. How common is that? I think I would have added a pull pot for all seven.

Still, cool.

4. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I love the way it looks. The wood choices sound cool too

I am not a huge mini humbucker fan :(

5. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

7.5 may not seem light on a tele forum, but it's lighter than a lot of guitars. It might not be easy to find light enough woods that actually sound good to keep a production guitar under 7.5 lbs with three pickups and a trem. If all she wanted was light weight she could just play a Jackson dinky, but they are absolutely toneless imo. Who wants that?

6. BigDaddyLH

For light weight they could have gone headless. The Strandberg Boden OS 6 Tremolo is 5lbs: http://strandbergguitars.com/product/boden-os-6-tremolo/

7. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

That other thread got sad right quick.

I like this guitar, but then again, I like unusual designs. I've owned an RD, Surfcaster, Yamaha SGVs, Bo Diddley, Iceman, on and on.

I'd love to buy one, but that pricetag will stop me. If they had a MIM for $800 I'd be in, but MusicMan doesn't really do that.

As far as Annie's playing goes, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but there is no denying she is very skilled and has an original approach to playing--which is more than I can say for most guitarists--even my favorites.

Ex-riverman likes this.
  8. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the link to the reviews. Now I like it even more. Too bad about the other thread. I know next to nothing about the artist, except that she designed a very cool guitar.

Not sure it is worth the $ though.

9. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I like the looks of it. I think she's cool too.

10. bottlenecker

I agree about her playing. I would say this guitar and her playing may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I usually don't enjoy things that are. I very much enjoy Annie's playing. It has grit and an edge, and doesn't sound like she's trying to innovate for its own sake, but also gets away from rehashing classic rock cliches.
    I can't afford this guitar, but I'm glad it's expensive. That means EB sees the value of it and produced a full quality version with no dumbing down.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Looks like the ugly cousin to an explorer or a old Gibson RD without curves
    Leave it to marketing to sell it to a niche group.

12. bottlenecker

It's a signature model. It should be made for a niche group of one person.

tintag27 likes this.
  13. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I think it's a good looking guitar, but like someone else said, not too crazy about mini humbuckers. Personally, I would go with a couple P90's or 3 Lipstick Tube pickups.

14. Mekhem

Mekhem Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I think its a new and interesting design, so +1 for that.

6 Months ago I knew of "St. Vincent" but could not have picked out a song if my life depended on it, but this got me thinking. Maybe I should check out what kind of sounds she is targeting with this. It turns out I like some of her stuff. Not all of it of course, but I can say that about a lot of newer artists. What I did get immediately when I started to listen to her is that she is pretty unique in her musical style and I appreciate that.

The kerfuffle about the ergonomics I think is pretty amusing actually, couldn't this design be just an evolution of the Strat arm contours, and the offset design for jazz players.

Anyway:
    MIA +
    Mini Hums +
    Unique +
    Good color choices +
    Another tonal option +
    and... Cheaper than a PV +

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I never see the MM guitars on the cheap. Never see the chains 'blowing them out.' Which would be my only hope for buying a $1900 guitar.

16. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Wait 20 years and they'll do a Sterling model like they did got for the petrucci guitars.

17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

After watching and listening to this demo,

I've concluded that I like everything about this guitar. If I were to find a used one at a price I could justify ($1900 guitar + my skill level = DOES NOT COMPUTE), I'd be all over it.

18. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

Annie Clark has some good guitar genetics: her uncle is Tuck Andress, and she spent some amount of time being sort of a "roadie" for him in her teens.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  19. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Thanks for posting.
    I've heard flattering things about this model, but I'd not seen one.
    It looks like a George Jetson guitar....

20. BigDaddyLH

This is the basic quandary for sig guitars, eh? MusicMan could have created a single custom shop guitar for Annie and called it a day, but they are plugging a signature model, so they are hoping someone wants it, too. They have to walk a fine line.

Suppose I'm famous. (I guess you can stop right there :lol:) I dream of a custom Tele with a neck-through-body construction, 7 string, headless, fan- fretted with a compound scale of 25.5-to-27. No one else in the world would want this Tele! So how do you decide when to make it a unique custom shop guitar versus a signature production model? Do you nudge the artist toward more mainstream options and also away from overly expensive options?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.