Music Man RD 112 50 amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ian Hooper, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I recently sold my 212 65. I never did change the speakers from stock but I too found the amp sterile. I enjoyed its clean tone (especially with humbuckers) but any overdriven pedal did not sound good with this amp. I decided to keep a silverface twin and sell it off.

3. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

for schematics...

go to the MusicMan amp site (http://www.musicmanamps.com/) and then follow links to the schematics page. You should really register on the forum there -- lots of help available!
    FWIW, I'd first replace the filter caps (and associated resistors) before anything else. Also if this is running 6L6s consider getting some of those Russian surplus 6P3S (but get the "E" versions that can handle higher voltage)-- cheap as borscht but buy a batch as you'll need to match them up. Been running these in my RD112-65 with no issues.

4. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I have an RD 50 Head that I run thru an Avatar 2x12 cab with Hellatone 30's. Mine has a great clean sound and it can get dirty with the best of them. I don't feel there's anything sterile about it. It sounds as good to me as the old Fender Blackfaces did, but as I said, has the ability thru a gain control to get a pretty good distortion as well. The pair cost me $ 450 a couple years back. I've posted more than once that I felt these amps were a great amp at a great price.

Mike

Attached Files:

5. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's

I have an RD112-50 that I "found" a couple of years ago - see this thread.

I sent it up to Ed Goforth (a poster above) for a rebuild and some mods - got the full treatment on the amp. The job wasn't cheap, but the results were tremendous and worth every penny. Can you say, "Robben Ford's Dumble tone" five times, real fast?

6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I had that RD 50 head and traded it, like an idiot. Excellent cleans, a very worthy sound in many ways. Warm, nothing sterile about it. Don't let the low resale price fool you. I've not tried the combo, but that head impressed me.
    MD

7. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

I know what your'e talking about. Had a RD65 1-12. I ended up swaping the stock speaker out for a Celestion Modern Lead 70 which helped with the sterility.

Although the main issue I had with that amp - was that it kept shuttting down on me when it got too hot.

8. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Albert Lee can tell you all about these
    Music Man products,,,,,he is a SUPER picker.

9. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

Great story!

I bought the same model in '83. I guess the speaker and 12AX7 made a difference because I remember the cleans being very Fender-like. The OD left a bit to be desired but back then it was the latest thing.

I sold mine for $300 too back in '98. I had a cover, the manual, schematic, etc.

As I said the clean was nice but the thing weighed a ton so I really don't miss it.

10. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I love my thirty year old Musicman............

HD-212 One Fifty. It's got more power than yours but I run it on the low power side all the time. Mine has a pair of EV 12" speakers which are really great sounding and can carry a heavy load if need be. I use it mostly for guitar but sometimes I use it for pedal steel. It's like a twin on steroids if there ever was one..........Here's a shot or two of mine........JH in Va.

Attached Files:

11. BeauZooka

BeauZooka TDPRI Member

I had one just like that with the 2 EV's. Way too heavy!
    92 lbs according to http://www.musicmanamps.com/

12. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

That's a big "10-4" on the weight of this amp but....

Fortunately I don't have to "carry" it around. Amp weight has never meant anything to me. If it's heavy, just use a handtruck. With this amp (which has casters) I just roll it to the side door of my van and grab the handle with both hands and lift it in. At the gig I just lift it out and roll it in. For that little bit of lifting the sound of the thing more than makes up for it as it's great for "soft" gigs or outdoor gigs where you're not miked!...It'll blow the roof off of any venue with power to spare and won't ever break up unless you want it to!..........JH in Va.

13. Krex1010

Krex1010 TDPRI Member

First amp I ever bought was a mm rd50, bought it used in the late 90's for $100, I hated it back then, I was 18, could barely play and wanted crazy effects, plus I lived with my parents and couldn't neverr turn the volume up without getting yelled at, so the amp went into my moms attic, fast forward to two days ago, I have my first tele, bought it a few days ago and I wasn't happy with the sound through my current amp, I remembered the old mm amp, got it, turned the volume up and holy crap! Thing sounds awesome! Just goes to show how a bit of experience and some volume can make all the difference, I would have sold that amp for $50 ten years ago, really really glad I didn't.

14. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I missed that first mm rd 50 head so bad, just found another. The limiter side sounds awful, bigtime hum on the reverb, but the clean channel sound is so fine I could care less. This is anything but sterile. A very big sound, warm and kind to the ears.
    MD

15. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I had the same amp and also found it to be a little sterile for my taste, particularly with a Tele. I was getting ready to put a new speaker in it when I came across a deal on a Working Dog amp that fit my taste much better. I sold the MM to a guy who plays a lot of jazz with a 335 and he loves the amp.

16. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This thread was a zombie HOWEVER...

I think this should be posted. There is an Estate Sale listed in North Austin this weekend that has several amps and includes this pristine example of a Musicman Amp.

[​IMG]

Somebody should snap this up. I have no affiliation. I simply pull up the Garage Sale ads and search for "Guitar" and I find some deals that don't make it to the "Musical Instruments" postings.

Here is the link to the stuff on sale including some cool old tube radios.
    http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/LeftoversAustin/Tip Of The Iceberg Sale/

Lost_N_Austin

17. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

A little sterile is a good description. I worked on one for a friend and another friend gigs with a 50w 2x12 that makes everything overdriven he plays sound like a "Boston" song. Kind of 70's fizzy. Overall not a bad amp, though. Just doesn't quite have a sound all its own.

18. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

That looks to be in great shape. I love these little amps, but no, they aren't meant as competition for nuts down Marshalls. Put a Screamer in front of em and they cover miles of territory though.

19. otstratman

otstratman TDPRI Member

I got a "brand new" Music Man RD 112 Amplifier for my 15th birthday 08/15/1982 from Zafp's music in Norristown, Pennsylvania. I remember I had a Vantage V600 Guitar with matching Guitar Case. It had (2) humbuckers, a string through bridge, and decent tuning machines. I swapped the pickup's for a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and a DiMarzio PAF in the Neck. That electric guitar and that amp really sent me on my way. I loved the built in "Gain" tone and not having to use a "Gain" pedal. I think it was one of the first few companies who offered channel switching? Anyway I ended up selling mine to move up to what I still play now which are Marshall Amplifiers. I did have a chance to purchase one in MINT condition is the late 1990's. It was just okay honestly. Fairly or unfairly a lot of people compare the Music Man RD112 to the Fender Deluxe Reverb. The Fender Deluxe Reverb sounds bigger and fuller thus better. All in all not a bad amp but not a great amp either.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

very cool. I had the RP which had a phaser... I used that phaser like crazy! I loved all the MM amps I had... I never heard nor thought to compare it to a deluxe... your setup as a kid was awesome!

My last MM had el34 in it, so about as different as you can get to a fender....

man... that amp had a lot of ass... deep and full and bellowed... liked it a lot.. the key was swapping out the op amps and making sure it was completely right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.