Music Man 210 65

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Aug 9, 2019.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

A buddy of mine just picked one up and has only sent pictures of it. I haven't seen it in person yet.

He said the only issue he knows is the half power switch doesn't work. It looks great, original MM speakers.

Anyway, figured I would check here first. Is the half power switch a common issue or problem? Anything to immediately look for when I get to see it?

Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

1/2 power switch on a Music Man doesn't really affect that amp the way modern amps significantly cut the volume/output so it may not be broke. I'm not a tech so I can't explain more, but I've owned a couple MMs. I also have a few new amps and the 1/2 power switches on the new amps make a much more noticeable difference.

3. Bowpickins

Bowpickins Tele-Meister

Do you mean that the amp does not have any output in lo power mode? Or that the amp does not reduce output volume when in low power mode? I have a Music Man 210 sixty-five that I just got, and I can hear a difference between hi and lo power mode, though it is very subtle. I am still learning my way around it, but from what I have observed: When set to 'Hi', you get the full 65 watts of headroom and a nice clean fender-like tone. on 'Lo' power mode, the headroom lowers on the amp to around 30 watts of headroom (my guess)? There is a very subtle volume drop on mine when I switch to 'Lo' power mode, and it does get a bit of edge to it's tone with my G&L MFD pickups. Also, on my amp, I notice that the indicator light's glow on the amp changes depending on what setting I have it on. When I switch to 'Hi' mode: The light is on full blast. When I switch the amp on 'Lo' mode, the amp's light gets just a little bit dimmer.
    My Music Man 210 is a very early first generation model with the sixty-five spelled out, and with the 12ax7 phase inverter. My amp was only lightly used as the amp only had one owner before me, who only played this amp around his house. Pretty much brand-new and everything is original. Except for one speaker which I just replaced because the original has developed tears in it. About to replace the other for the same reason. I am no tech, but I hope this can be of some help.
    Good luck!:)

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

MM did that half power circuit two different ways. The first method cut voltage to the entire circuit. That is not a good way to go about that. The second approach cut voltage to the power tubes and left the rest of the circuit at ‘proper’ voltages. There is a model number on that amp on the back panel. That might tell you what version you have there.

5. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had a 212 65 and 210 65- I assumed the half power worked but I could not really tell a difference either way...so maybe it works? Of course these are loud clean amps so its tough to tell if its working or not. I really like the clean tones but I struggled to get a good overdriven sound out of them

6. Wally

Duplicate post removed.

Half power does not result in a cut t 50% of the original. One has to cut the output power by a factor of 10 to accomplish that.

7. Wally

Overdrive with a MM amp. Ime, you dime the mids while pulling the treble and especially bass back a bit. Push the preamp to taste. They will overdrive in this manner.

8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I still haven't seen it yet in person, but he gigged it last night. Said he loved it, clean & loud.

As far as the low power switch, he said the light doesn't come on and no output, so definitely not working there.

9. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

That is probably my favorite Music Man amp.

I had a choice to buy either a '50's Telecaster RI or a MM 65 210. They really sounded good together and I wish I could have bought both. I still have the Tele!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.