1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music Man 112RD One Hundred

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by JayDee, May 11, 2010.

1. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

Hello all. ran onto one of these yesterday in a local store. I didn't know anything about them. The guy described it as kind of a Twin Reverb sound on the clean channel, but thru one 12in speaker. I plugged a cheap Tele copy into it and loved it. This thing was FAT sounding. For reference, I've been using a DRRI for a few years now. I hardly messed with the dirty channel. I didn't like the reverb as much as the DRRI's reverb. Also, it's a 100 watt amp, but the original speaker had been replaced with an Electro Harmonix 12VR8 75watt speaker. I don't know if that would only be a problem if it was cranked or not. BTW they said they'd take $400.
    I'm looking for anyone's thoughts who've had experience with these amps? Pros and cons? Thanks.

2. tubescent

tubescent Tele-Meister

i used to have one many moons ago
    from what i remember:
    pros - great general clean sound, very reliable, very loud.
    cons - bloody heavy, reverb not stella.
    the big pro is that is was cheap when i bought it and they're still cheap now, absolute bargain if you don't mind the carry. if i had a roadie (dream on) then i wouldn't blink.

3. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Tele-Afflicted

Tubescent pretty well gave the executive summary. Big, loud, clean and clear. Very well built. They were very much not messing around. Highly giggable and easy to work on when needed.

4. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Does anyone think that 75watt EH 12VR8 is gonna be a problem? The amp is 100 watts. I can't conceive of a gig where I would ever have to run it cranked. Keep it coming!

5. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

I am too am currently looking at a MM 75-112. A little different but not much.
    The sound is great but I wonder if I should just keep playing thru my PV C30 fot the little live work I do. I would have to trade the PV off to get it so I haven't made up my mind yet. The weight thing is a turn off for me. If I am going to bust my butt then I would rather haul a twin around.

The MM dirt tone is dismal though, but if you are like me, that wouldn't be an issue anyway.

For a good, smaller amp with twin tone, try to play thru a Fender Champ 25. They are from around 92-94 and can be had for less than $200.

But again, I think the MM amps are great, if you like it, you would be hard pressed to get that much clean tone for $400 IMO. Just eat your Wheaties so you can throw it into your truck with one hand!

6. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

I have an RD50 head. I LOVE it great amps!

7. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

I had the 112 65 watt version -- unbelieveable cleans, meh drive sound, heavy and LOUD! I don't think you'd have to worry about that speaker because you'll never need to turn it up all the way.

8. finntele1000

finntele1000 Tele-Meister

Hi, I just bought one a couple of months ago. An original, flawless one. I had one MM with 4x10" in late 70's until mid 80's. I can't remember the exact model but now that I'm older and can practically buy the amp I want - this is the one I ended up with. Incredible cleans and when needed, incredibly loud. The downside is the weight at least with the original speaker. What I just discovered was that a fuzz sounds just as it should and I'm talkin about original type germanium fuzz. I think that I have here an amp which is going to stay with me a long time.

9. turbofire327

turbofire327 Tele-Meister

I love my 112 sixty five, I would recomend any MM amp.

10. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

Ta da!

After a lot of research and help from all of you.....I did it!:D

Attached Files:

11. 3 Chord

3 Chord Friend of Leo's

Nice one, good for you!

I think I will go play the 75 that I have been eyeing up lately and see if it comes home with me.

12. tubescent

tubescent Tele-Meister

i also forgot how wicked they look! congrats

13. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Oh man...that is beautiful...what year is that? looks super mint!

14. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

Thanks! I don't know what year it is. I did a little digging online. Apparently the serial numbers don't hold any simple way of designating year. If anyone knows how to find out please let me know.

15. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I had a 112 100RP back when. Virtually the same amp just with phaser rather than dirt. Originally it came with an EV 12L speaker. Great sounding but heavy. Possibly a previous owner swapped it out for the lighter EH. If you can you owe it to yourself to hear it with an EV 12L. Tasty.

16. Big L

Big L Tele-Meister

I had 2 Music Man's : A 210-65 and a 112RD 50. Great clean sound, but way too loud for me. Any natural distortion would result in broken eardrums. Then they started to nickel and dime me...both around 30 years old after all. Sold both of them. I would get another 210-65 only if I could find one of the early ones, which had had a tube rectifier instead of solid state. Those are hard to find.

17. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

What's your take on the Electro-Harmonix speakers tone? I'm thinking about trying one out since they are very inexpensive, but thought I'd ask.

18. TWANGNUT

TWANGNUT Tele-Holic

Congrats! That thing is sweet!

19. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Holic

So far the speaker sounds good to me, although I can't compare to the original since I've never heard one. I rehearsed last night with it. Everything worked just fine. Tonight will be the first gig with it. I can't wait to get it out on the job. I still need to sit down with it and find the speaker's "blow up threshold" though rather than accidently kill it on the job.

20. Marky D.

Marky D. Tele-Holic

112 RD - Had One

I bought one new in 1980 for about $575.. 2-6CA7 power tubes, SS preamp, EV 12L Speaker. I think it has a 60/100 power switch, no? Mine had a warranty issue (relay) right off the bat, but the guy I sold it to is still using it w/ no problems. Good, clean (if heavy) amp for the money..

BTW, I sometimes ran mine through a straight Marshall 4x12 and it was huge... I wonder how it would sound w/ a Celestion G12H30?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.