Music making me lose interest in drinking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ribsspare, Feb 8, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It happened to work out that when I learned to play guitar I was renting a room in a gallery home where the ad had said "No Drinkers!".
    But the two artists both played guitar and sang the usual songs of their youth, and we played every day. They also produced a non alcoholic product in the back yard.

When I started playing at parties and with other players, I went along with the drinking I'd normally do in a non dry town.
    I gotta say, as my interest in playing well increased, my interest in playing drunk decreased!

I've always had that sort of mania like thing that @getbent mentioned, and when not grabbing onto some dragon like playing guitar or climbing a mountain, I often needed a little something to slow down the racing brain.

Long story short, 13 years later I found myself with a whole new dope habit I couldn't shake on my own.
    It's been 20 years since I escaped that little SNAFU, but a lotta friends died trying to get out, some without ever trying. Some were really great players, wasted for wanting some relief from their own drive. Or their own demons, etc.

Just thought I'd mention that losing the desire to drink doesn't always lead down the best path!

william tele and getbent like this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah in my family true alcoholics only lose interest when they are buried in the ground. Then everyone else meets up at a bar and gets hammered to celebrate the loss. (Irish American)

I drank plenty (mostly in college) and lost interest right away as soon as I got out of that environment. Too many life experiences that are way more fun when you're sober... especially anything athletic or on the serious "adventure" side.

I can't really imagine playing music after more than one drink.. if you thought you need it my guess is you only needed it because of dependency, and you probably don't know how high your performance bar actually is.. you're probably better than you think you are.

getbent likes this.
  3. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Good on you. No one ever woke up regretting having had one too few. Go with it!

LocoTex, telemnemonics and getbent like this.
  4. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

When I hear myself play, I want to drink more than ever.

dptele, william tele and Shuster like this.
  5. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't drink at all on gigs. I'm an at-risk drummer now. Have to mitigate how badly I suck.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

There’s no doubt that certain substances, including alcohol, make one a better player in certain situations.

And I once did Layla to perfection (not perceived, I swear, just great) on an illegal substance that we’re not allowed to discuss here.

Does anyone think it’s a coincidence that the greatest players on earth “dabble” with this stuff?

7. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

That's great. Drinking gradually took me away from music and everything else i cared about, but I still couldn't stop for a long long time. Finally sober and life is great.

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh, I have MANY doubts about that. I don't buy your first statement 'there's no doubt'
    There are many many artists who will readily state that they 'thought' they needed it, but didn't.

it is the addictive/manic side of things that leads to the drugs not the drugs to the efficacy in performance... myths are awesome as long as you buy into them.

Good job on your Layla performance. One thing I know about performances, if you could do it once, you can repeat it. get to work.

nojazzhere, LocoTex and Harry Styron like this.
  9. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

The day I bought a jazzmaster I totally lost interest in whisky. But I still dig beer!

getbent likes this.
  10. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

No.

Shuster and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

One can paint an entire apartment on a certain substance in a few hours.

It’s not a stretch to think that one can also work a fretboard and bend strings like lightning with that same stuff.

Am I encouraging that? Or discouraging that?

Who am I to say either.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

OK I’m going with the assumption that you’re always at least half joking and often making a mockery of yourself for our entertainment.
    I’m often wrong on the internet though, while at the same time I do use a sort of self mockery that’s a sort of subtle trolling for the double edged sword of having fun and pointing out the tragicomedy of our collective serious discussion of gear and pop music.
    But here I’m not entirely sure which side of humor you’re on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

The only inspiration alcohol ever gave me was to consume more alcohol.

Keefsdad and LocoTex like this.
  14. Gigante_Miguel

Gigante_Miguel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I wasted too many years and dollars sitting around drinking and wishing I was playing

joebloggs13 and LocoTex like this.
  15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Music did the same to me... starting at about age fourteen. I ended up going to bars to hear bands and it was clear the only way I could really take them in was completely dry. By the second set my bandmates would be completely sloshed, facing each other across the table with their noses almost touching, telling the most incredibly stupid jokes and laughing uproariously. The next day I was the only one who remembered the band from the night before.

Funny thing.

Bob

16. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

Same! Never drink when I play. Way more fun, "present" and I reach new levels through accessing my ideas more readily. Hard to imagine all the jazz legends of the past who improvised their asses off totally wasted... Charlie Parker anyone

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

The OP says he is (was) an alcoholic. Maybe he's right. He has found the motivation to quit. As someone who drank for 45+ years, sometimes very well, finally not very well, I'm going to say, "Well done," and leave it at that.

TokyoPortrait, nojazzhere and LocoTex like this.
  18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Having an alcoholic, abusive father who walked out when I was 10 put me in complete control of alcohol for my entire life . (Have a problem with booze = I’m him . No thanks)

1 or two beers or drinks (or not) before a gig or at practice has never turned into anything more.

Most of my playing is at home and I don’t drink while doing that. ( Beer’s in the basement fridge -and I’m too lazy...)

19. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wonderful to hear how music is becoming a bigger part of your life and that it's taking you to a place you've not been before by overshadowing your drinking "habit".

I don't mean to over analyze your words in the post but the phrase "I've always considered myself as sort of an alcoholic or at least a person who loves to drink..." is a concern. There's a world of difference between those 2 things. If you were just casually using the term "alcoholic" as a convenient term for your post, cool, I get it. But if you are truly concerned about a real or potential drinking problem then take it seriously. Sadly for most people who are problem drinkers or alcoholics the booze eventually ruins most of the good things in their lives, including music. Don't hesitate to reach out if I or any of us here can be of help. Best wishes...

G

dan1952 and nojazzhere like this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't "drink", per se; however, I'll sometimes consume a Guinness while jamming by myself.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.