Music Industry Remnants Want Changes To Youtube

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i hardly watch music videos on youtube anymore...sorry i dont want to sit through a 30 second ad

plus there is so much more to youtube now that it can survive if they pull all videos off there

until they put 30 second ads on every stinking non music video...then i am done

3. Deckard

Deckard Tele-Afflicted

Adblock.

guitarguy97 and unclefred like this.
  4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ads, Grrrrrrr.
    Boo on the ad industry.
    Grrrrr, hate, hate, hate em'.

Honest Charley likes this.
  5. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Well....you could pay for the content instead.

6. falcon5romeo

falcon5romeo Tele-Holic

Adblock. No video commercials. Youtube is my default for checking out new music.

7. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

the music industry should give up trying to monitor copyright. it's impossible to do, because there's always going to be *someplace* you can find it for free if you want it. besides which, if they get with the program instead of fighting against it and provide their own high-quality content, they can generate massive revenue from their uploads.

if all those lets players and vloggers can do it, surely an entire industry can get its **** together and figure it out. or maybe change is just too scary.

cnlbb likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Depends on what their genuine objective is. If they anticipate being able to snuff out virtually all uncompensated use, that's simply not possible. But if they want to give those who do pay a sense that they (those who pay) are not suckers; that paying is a cool thing, that at least a significant number of people are paying and also "enough" of those who don't pay are sanctioned, then carefully chosen fights do make sense. Also, if they don't make a stab at protecting their rights then the law will regard those rights as abandoned and all you have left then is a wasteland.

Imagine I am waiting in line to make a turn in traffic and some people are being cute, pretending not to understand what's going on and cutting in in their large pickups and SUVs at the last second. I can tolerate a certain amount of this cheating but when I see scores of people cutting ahead of me, day after day, that's when the guy in front of me pulls a gun on one of them. Better to have a cop writing up a few of the scofflaws. A few writeups, even if the trial court dismisses most of them, is all you need to keep most people honest. If 85% of the people cheat and it is right in our faces, that's too much to ask people to tolerate.

telemnemonics and Jakedog like this.
  9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Although I am not very concerned that Christina Aguilera, Katy Perry, Garth Brooks, Billy Joel and Rod Stewart making ends meet in the music business, stealing anything is not right, no matter how rich the producer of it may be.

The old model of radio play being the "free samples" that drive desire and demand for sales of music doesn't seem to be much of a factor any more, but isn't YouTube something of a replacement for that?

Are the crappy quality, ad-bracketed YouTube videos of their stuff really hurting music sales? In my case, it's the opposite. When I see/hear something I like and want to own (LOL, well, you know what I mean, I guess you are not allowed to 'own' music any more) I'll download it or go buy the CD. YouTube has crappy fidelity, even for my old ears, and it's not as convenient as my ipod.

I suspect that this is more about the middlemen fronting a few big stars to whine about their "losses" than the rank and file musician getting just compensation for his/her work. The music industry has already demonstrated how much they care about those folks.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you, Rick.

I kind of split the baby. I hear something I want on Youtube and go find it on CD at a used/new record store. The used CDs are readily available and have decent fidelity. More than good enough for the car, tolerable on the home systems. I'd buy all new CDs but I'd go broke if I bought all these in new form. I convince myself I'm driving revenue for the artist since a lot of folks only buy new CDs when they can see they can get a few coins when they resell them to the used CD places. Some folks have written off CDs entirely - I don't know how much help an artist gets when there's heavy demand for his or her CDs in any form.

But you know, most CDs I find to buy are still replacements for ones I lost in Hurricane Katrina. Hard, hard to pay full retail twice for the same recording.

11. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Herding cats.

12. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I buy CDs of all my music. I don't know why, but the thought of buying individual songs as a digital file just turns me off.

Doctorx33 likes this.
  13. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

It's no different from buying a 45 rpm single.

14. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Buying single a single download is much better than a cd with only a single good track. The industry pumps out a lot of junk. I don't often find a collection that lets you explore an artist, a group of songs that stands together as a whole.

Mr. Lumbergh and amplifiedhermit like this.
  15. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Based on what I read and hear , it appears that the entire thing needs to be restructured .
    It appears that the problem is with the recording industry , not the artists . This does not imply that the artists are not being harmed . Instead , it states that the recording industry is incapable of dealing with this issue within it's current structure .
    That structure must change/adapt or perish . It is incumbent on the artists to make this happen .
    If I were a rising star with the guts , I would demand that none of my music be sold from the source in a digital format . This way , all digital formatted examples of my music would invariably be illegal . Find my music on the internet , demand prosecution immediately and follow through .
    The artists need to learn how to protect themselves from the industry that is designed to feed off of them to support the recording industry .
    Yes , there would be screams , slings and arrows , but that will only serve to prove the value of the action .
    It's high time that the industry works for those that actually create the product instead of the status quo .

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent idea, ban all promotion, especially the free fan videos. I assume you would have to be rich enough to constantly annoy TV viewers with you music. But then again, people can also pirate that.

17. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Its like 1965 all over again... todays music market is a singles market, not an albums market.

I think the real issue as far as "the industry" is concerned, how many people are using youtube to listen for free and never buy anything, versus how many people listen and then buy?

I often wonder how does so much copyrighted stuff wind up on youtube anyway. You can find practically anything up there. Does it fly under the radar, or do the copyright owners know its being posted, and leave it alone with the hopes that somewhere, somebody might hear it and buy it?

18. amplifiedhermit

amplifiedhermit Tele-Meister

The RIAA and their ilk can shrivel up and die as far as I'm concerned. They're middlemen who have never been in it for the artists, they're not suffering (revenue streams just change), and they've never been interested in being fair to customers (remember all those CDs with only a couple good songs that you weren't allowed to return?).

The fact is most of what the old music industry did can be replaced by software on the internet. We're not- as they'd like us to believe- about to descend into a musical dark age if they should suddenly disappear. In fact, if we got rid of the middlemen who soak up all the profits, we could be on the verge of something new and wonderful for both artists and consumers, given the right platform. Instead of $10 albums with $1 (if even that) going to the artists, how about $5 albums with $5 going to the artists? More people would buy albums and artists could make a living.

On a side note, one thing I wish people would get past is this notion of people "stealing" music. That doesn't even make sense. To steal something, you have to take that thing away from someone else. Listening to a song someone uploaded to Youtube is not stealing any more than going over to your friend's house and listening to albums is. And downloading songs from a torrent isn't stealing any more than making a cassette copy of your friend's CD was back in the day. Its copying, sure, but not stealing.

In some ways, things are a better for artists now. If you buy a digital album you can't sell it used later, or buy used digital albums for a few dollars. And that "unauthorized" Youtube video someone uploaded has ads around it and the revenue is going to whomever owns the rights because of Content ID. And in general, the more people get exposed to new music, the more likely they are to discover artists they like. And if someone becomes a fan of a band, they're 100% more likely to spend money at some point than if they've never heard of them.

Sure its not perfect, but the last thing any artist should want is to prosecute their fans for essentially liking their music. Metallica tried that years ago and it blew up in their faces. I agree there could be more of an effort to find ways to get artists paid- especially indies- but it needs a light touch, not an iron fist. One thing I do know is that if you make enemies of your fans, they will never buy your stuff, period. But if you don't alienate them, even if they never buy an album, they might still buy a ticket to a show and buy a t-shirt, which can be quite lucrative.

Back to my main point, you can bet that if the RIAA has their way, they will continue to come up with new and sneaky ways to assert more and more control over this emerging digital landscape, and it will all be for their benefit, not artists and certainly not consumers.

19. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

A lot of my thoughts on this have already been posted, but I would think that any artist would want their music to be heard by more people. CD sales aren't where the money is anyway. As others have said, if someone stumbles on to an artist's music through Youtube surfing and likes the band so much that they buy a ticket to their next show, that's another fan and more money than the band would've had otherwise. The mega acts are at a point to where they don't need the exposure because they're household names. How many artists have we heard of from these forums, or by stumbling on to by accident on Youtube? I would say that having access to music for free in a medium like Youtube can be very beneficial for the lesser known regional type band.

20. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/3301938?hl=en

Short answer, you can cut yourself in for ad revenue.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.