1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music I love that you probably don't: Pylon

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by THX1123, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Pylon RAWKS!

basher likes this.
  2. orbit_caster

orbit_caster TDPRI Member

Love Tractor, from Athens. Saw them at a nearly-empty Satyricon in Portland in the 80s - one of the best shows I’ve ever seen

basher likes this.
  3. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

Not a single mention yet of Curtis Crowe and 40 Watt?

4. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

His guitar sound and style are something I love and appreciate. I wouldn't say I've tried to emulate it, because it is quite unique, and I had been playing for 20 years when I really got into Pylon. He has still been a huge influence. I played an old Yamaha electric guitar once that sounded kind of close. I should have bought it.

I love bass-driven songs with sparse and inventive counterpoint guitar. Pylon excel at this, as do Gang of Four and The Fall, and Pixies too.

It is hard to write a "simple" song that other people think is good. I spent months crafting 3 songs on our upcoming album that are constructed like that. It was also a challenge to get the drummer and bass player onboard with the concept. My mantra was to suggest that they could play whatever they wanted but to stay true to the framework of the simple parts I wrote. I asked them base their decisions on keeping the feeling I was after as the most important thing. Out of the 3 songs I consider 2 to have been successful.

Lawdawg likes this.
  5. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

This also

basher, Lawdawg and radiocaster like this.
  6. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

As a life long better bassist than guitarist I really got drawn to their groove. I can’t hear M Train without moving and smiling. And I agree there’s a uniqueness that reminds me of Gang of Four.
    Personally, I’d pick a unique voice and soul any day. I can say in the southeast they were actually quite popular for a while.
    Here’s my Chomp. Look, it was on sale!
    Being in my teens and regularly seeing Pylon, REM, Love Tractor...fun times. And being close to that scene actually made getting gigs and tours and college/indy radio play much easier around the country for myself and other bands from Atlanta, Athens, etc. NY clubs were particularly receptive.
    upload_2021-3-7_9-32-36.jpeg

Lawdawg and basher like this.
  7. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

Nice! They reissued the Pylon albums last fall. I read an interview with GO4 in which they claim to have actually asked Vanessa to be their singer.

I got my first tattoo in Athens on the way to Mardi Gras in 1996. We checked out the 40 but it was a weeknight and I don't remember who was playing, so they must have been unremarkable. We did get to party with The Connells in Tuscaloosa after their gig there until the manager tossed us from backstage because we were keeping the band from getting their **** together and leaving, that was cool.

I enjoy a lot of the music from that area and that time. DBs, Let's Active, REM. Always liked the B-52s also.

Killing Floor likes this.
  8. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

My youngest son is a fan, and he’s 13. Both of my boys really dig the hardcore 90s, cheesy 80s, and classic 70s rock. My daughter is 17 and hooked on hard bop jazz and 60s Motown. Go figure. Hard to define “dad rock” anymore...unless you’re old enough to make the claim but too young to be someone’s tax dependent. Anything goes these days, and I find it refreshing. But if you happen to know someone’s “dad” who “rocks” like this, he’s probably making better music than anything on today’s top 40. Legend.

9. THX1123

THX1123 Tele-Meister

I did some searching and there doesn't seem to be any concrete definition of Dad Rock.

Art and music used to evolve primarily via the rejection of older art forms. The quest was to create something new and relevant using new language and technology, so the idea of finding your parent's music itself as boring or irrelevant is not bad, or new.

My line of work (at Universities) has allowed me to interact with young adults over the last few decades. In my experience the instant and free access today to older music forms that previous generations never enjoyed allows curious and interested young persons to find and like relevant music from any time. I am constantly surprised by the variety of opinions. In my experience it is as likely that a college-aged person will love Joni Mitchell or The Dead Kennedys or Pink Floyd as they will some contemporary modern rock/pop star or rapper. In my experience the young persons who view their particular generational reinvention of the wheel as novel or better are those who typically view music and art in myopic and very generational terms.

The ideas and messages in those Dead Kennedys songs might actually be as relevant today as when they were written.

I found some commonalities in Dad Rock definitions:

- Any music that persons who are not Dads (or Dad age) enjoy dismissing as not relevant
    - Music made by artists who are not the same age as (or younger than) the person who is using the term
    - Music that was created before a person using the term had developed their own sense of identity, taste, and relevance
    - Any rock or pop music that existed before auto-tune, the extinction of physical media, and the quantized homogenization of the current state of commercial rock and pop (OK, this one is my contribution)

Maybe the most essential common thread is that using the term pejoratively often gets a reaction from people who like older Rock music.

Bedder18 likes this.
  10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

Shut up I love Pylon.

11. Bedder18

Bedder18 Tele-Meister

accurate :)

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The first song posted reminded me of stuff I was listening to in the 90s, like Cop Shoot Cop.

Actually, it's entirely possible I've heard Pylon before, friends' tapes or whatever.

13. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Man do I love Pylon, I still have my vinyl copy of Chomp hanging around somewhere. Hindsight 20/20 it's not surprising R.E.M. and the B-52s were more commercially successful, but neither can hold a candle to Pylon in my book.

The most recent box set has been on steady rotation in my playlist since it was released in November.

hepular likes this.
  14. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Dad rock," or in other words, "rock."

Chester P Squier likes this.
  15. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

radiocaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.