1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Music genres you hate

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by twangpimp99, Oct 18, 2014.

1. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

What's that music genre made by no-talent hacks where everything they do sounds the same, and everyone's blasting it on their stereo all the time? It's awful.

My favorite genre, on the other hand, is the one with all the talented people doing really awesome stuff that nobody has heard about yet. That stuff is just classic. How could anyone NOT like that?

2. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

[/end of thread]

:)

3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

To be fair, "cop killer" was a body count song, not an ice t solo song, so it counts as rock/metal more than it does hip hop.

Body count has always just seemed like a third rate suicidal tendencies to me.

4. cyclopean

Yeah. Kraftwerk made some beautiful music. I guess if you need guitars you could always listen to the big black cover of the model.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the music that I like and hate the music I don't like. I try to not listen to music I hate. I try not to decide that I hate something before I've listened to it. Sometimes I may hate something at 8:00 AM on a Monday that I loved at 10:00 PM on a Saturday night. Or the other way around.

“I hate a song that makes you think that you are not any good. I hate a song that makes you think that you are just born to lose. Bound to lose. No good to nobody. No good for nothing. Because you are too old or too young or too fat or too slim or too ugly or too this or too that. Songs that run you down or poke fun at you on account of your bad luck or hard travelling. I am out to fight those songs to my very last breath of air and my last drop of blood. I am out to sing songs that will prove to you that this is your world and that if it has hit you pretty hard and knocked you for a dozen loops, no matter what color, what size you are, how you are built, I am out to sing the songs that make you take pride in yourself and in your work. And the songs that I sing are made up for the most part by all sorts of folks just about like you. I could hire out to the other side, the big money side, and get several dollars every week just to quit singing my own kind of songs and to sing the kind that knock you down still farther and the ones that poke fun at you even more and the ones that make you think that you've not got any sense at all. But I decided a long time ago that I'd starve to death before I'd sing any such songs as that. The radio waves and your movies and your jukeboxes and your songbooks are already loaded down and running over with such no good songs as that anyhow.”
    ― Woody Guthrie

6. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Great quote!

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Agreed. Rock versions of classic carols especially, and course, McCartney's "Wonderful Christmastime."

Too many years working retail working my way through school...

8. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I was flipping the radio dial in my car the other day and I heard Imus say, "Even Bluegrass players don't like Bluegrass."

9. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

Can't believe it took 82 posts to have just one person mention disco....

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, despite it's cold reception back in the day, compared to a lot of what's out there now it has some great songwriting and killer musicianship.

11. cyclopean

Chic actually had some decent guitar playing.

I'll take italo-disco over the seventies stuff any day.

12. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That song gives "We Built This City" a serious run for the money. AWFUL.

13. hshight

hshight Tele-Meister

Runs away and leaves it in the dust, IMHO. Has there ever been a cheesier synth sound?

14. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I don't like rap, or hip hop or anything with a techno beat that goes boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom, boom...

I can't stand to listen to heavy metal vocals where the guy sounds like he is gargling vomit. It sounds like "music to slit your wrists by". They had it on in GC yesterday. I left quickly, they lost sales.

15. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Not much of a hater myself and like to listen to a good range of different styles of music! Saying that though I am not a fan of modern pop country at all. Nothing makes me want to turn the radio off faster or leave a building with it playing.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Are you the kinda guy who feeds the geese in the pond, until the pond is a fetid, stinking sewer?

There's two kinds of music, good and bad. When you let "bad" music survive and thrive, you absolutely will choke out good music from being heard, from being written, from being part of the creative process of modern folks.

You have to take a stand against music that is crowding out really good music. You can't sit on the sidelines in the hopes of not offending anyone - because your lunch money WILL be taken from you. :neutral:

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Look, clearly the word hate is heavily overused, used casually and I'm saddened, dismayed that this has happened. The "cheap" and profligate use of this word helps obscure just how terrible true hate is. Bad, bad stuff.

Ron Kirn has from time to time used a quote as his signature line which basically says, Bad Men win when Good Men don't do enough to stop them. I feel like I'm in a trap, where truly, dangerously bad stuff called music sucks all the oxygen out of the dialog and talking about what we like and love (as Getbent has done above) is simply not enough.

I like to get in people's faces, even in person, and scold them for listening to hateful music. They don't like it, and sometimes they tell me so. All I wanna do is make sure they understand I do care what they do and what they feel, and I do care enough to ask them to consider changing their conduct and trying to get them to play ball with guys like me and stop pretending they're so victimized by today's world that they can barely tie their own shoes. What a lot of self absorbed, whiny, underachieving losers. I wanna challenge them to be winners and stop playing the role of victim all the time. Their conduct is tiresome; they should know better. The interesting thing is, when you stop ignoring certain people or skirting around them, when you actually acknowledge they exist and things are not 100% well with them, they'll tolerate a lot of preaching because at least they know you know they exist.

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Hate's too strong, but I really don't care for (and therefore simply don't listen to) rap/hip-hop, most modern country, and present day "pop stars"

Outside of those, I can appreciate almost everything, from classical to heavy metal.

19. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

Boris, I can usually make very good sense of your posts, but after reading your last paragraph I had to go back to the OP and figure out if I was still in the same thread or if I had somehow migrated over to a thread called "Things about people that make me want to get in their face" or something.

20. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

And this is all so subjective because I LOVE Billy Joel. One of my favorite musicians...
    I find that he actually covers many musical genres while adding his own style to each. In fact Billy Joel actually composed an album of classical music for concert piano.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.