Music Director Wanted

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by Preacher, May 7, 2019.

1. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Maybe, but OP said, "My wife works for a recruiting company and they are needing to fill a position at a large church. The Music Director will be in charge of the worship bands for multiple campuses and assist the worship Pastor at the main campus. This is a PAID position and you will need to move to the area the church is in."

Multi-campus church
    Doing a national search
    For the ASSISTANT to the worship pastor.

This place might not be mega but it ain't small potatoes.

2. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

With the invasion of those vile keyboard players into worship music, multi-layered synth sounds (that mirror pop music) is slithering further and further into the hearts of misguided worship leaders.

Most of modern pop is created on computer, so when that “sound” comes to church, so do the computers.

It’s not all bad. We can’t seem to keep a real keyboard player, and the Loop Community app is a big help filling that spot sometimes, rather than taking someone off their primary instrument to (poorly) fill in on keys.

3. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking more generally. In the case of the OP, you are correct.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I don't know how I missed this thread I started so forgive me for being late to the party.

I will try to explain what I have been told.

As far as the size of the church, they are up to a half dozen campuses and each campus has a campus pastor and a worship team. They do individual worship at each campus and the music director is responsible to get the campuses the music and schedule team members and such as some musicians play on a rotational basis while others are "members" at the campus they attend and serve there every Sunday. So they are a pretty big church, no idea of membership totals but they are big and growing. And as far as assisting their Worship Pastor, apparently their worship pastor has a recording deal and is a bid deal as well.

As far as Ableton, I am sure they are doing things like most large churches do that use loop community or buy the tracks so they can "fill in" where needed. Our old church did that and programmed a lot of loops and such into the house mix. I am seeing more and more churches use it and some of those churches are not big. I helped fill in for a church of about 120 in MO a few months back and they used it which shocked me.

It would not shock me to see a church come up that does not incorporate a worship pastor to sing and lead songs like we are used to. I think the trend of EDM and ElectroPop will lend itself to a Worship DJ who will create and mix a worship experience instead of having a "team" and even "instrumentalist" on stage. I stated this to some of our worship team once (and I am old) and you should have heard the negative responses coming from even the younger people. Some stuff about worship raves, and mosh pits and the like, but who would have thought twenty years ago a guy could just sample pop music, mix in beats and have a concert where they fill up stadiums to listen to someone who doesn't actually "play" but mixes and samples live.

it is a crazy changing world we live in.

Again if anyone knows of anyone please PM and I will get you the information to send to my wife!

5. ravindave_3600

This would sadden me, but I would not be shocked.

In the year since I gave up my regular position as Worship Leader I have visited many churches. I was surprised that at the 2 "coolest" ones the lights were turned off and the WL didn't say a thing to the congregation after "Good morning, church. Let's worship." It was very much a solitary experience instead of a corporate one and, I think, a great deviation from the Church's teaching and practice over the millenia.

It wouldn't be a big step to DJs.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@ravindave_3600 I agree with you but I think it is much closer than we think. As a society we are stepping into a very individualistic existence. While information and knowledge is at our fingertips and advancement in communication is making the world a much smaller place, we as a society are excluding ourselves from interactions with one another. As that trend continues the church is going to have to work to let people know that inclusion is much better than exclusion.

studio likes this.
  7. ravindave_3600

My late 20's drummer recently told me, "Identity is one of the defining problems of my generation." Identity is found in context with others, not in shutting ourselves off. A church that practices isolation is teaching something the Church never has.

mRtINY and SBClose like this.
  8. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

PREACH DAVE!

Along with Goldilocks, I'm gonna add you to the list of peeps I want to start a church with.

9. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

It has already happened.... just happened across this last night as I was practicing for Sunday...

So I am not saying it was good or bad, but if I were in a certain area and the demographic was such that this would be what everyone is used to, I could see myself doing this.
    I know there will be those that flame it, say it is new age and crazy and is not really godly. But I can think of some other church people who said the one who came from heaven was a devil and spoke lies to the people of Israel...

10. ravindave_3600

Oh would we EVER have a worship band!!:):D:cool:

GoldieLocks and mRtINY like this.
  11. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

With the lights on...

preactor and ravindave_3600 like this.
  12. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Will there be an update?

13. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

As in is the position filled? Yes I hope when it gets filled, they are still interviewing people SMH.

I did receive another PM today so if you know someone please have them contact me.

14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I know a guy who probably would like to at least know about the opening. I can't really say he's the right guy for the job, but then again my sense is that the job is way more manageable for one person than your OP would suggest. But that's always the case with job descriptions.

I think it would be useful to say where you are for starters. You said its in the Midwest but your location is "Big D" which suggests Dallas. That is decidedly not Midwest. If you want to send me a link to the job opening I'll forward. If its been filled, well that's ok too.

15. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I think my Church is looking to hire a Music leader again... Nobody is coming forward. (I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy).

mRtINY likes this.
  16. ravindave_3600

I'll do it! I like BC, I like you, and I get hard of hearing when people tell me what to do.

GoldieLocks likes this.
  17. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I doubt it pays enough to live off of. And 90% of your job is herding musical monkeys and endlessly changing the keys of songs. But i'd hire you.

18. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Anybody in NE Ga? Been looking for about 2 years now!

19. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Hiring or looking to be hired?

20. preactor

preactor Tele-Meister

Hiring for a small country church; less than 50 members.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.