Music Criticism - I probably don't have anything new here

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jun 29, 2020.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I love to sing and play. my singing is good enough for the shower, if I'm home alone. my playing is so much fun sitting on the back porch or down in the storm cellar. Do you know how bread gets right before the green fuzzy mold begins growing. I wouldn't serve my guests bread that was just about moldy. Nor would I sing and play to entertain people, it would be inconsiderate of me to do, given my knowledge of my musical abilities
    victor9.jpg

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Early on the DEAD WERE KNOWN FOR BEING A GREAT LIVE BAND THAT DID A LOT OF IMPROVISING AND AS TIME PASTED THEY GOT BETTER AND BETTER ooooops.... and as time pasted their reputation of being great or mediocre,was fairly constant, you just never knew, so you'd buy your ticket and take your chances, when they were on, they where well worth it.

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I am one of those people who beat themselves up if I can't play something to perfection. I am my own biggest critic.
    It took me 26 years to find a note that was added to a chord in an Eagles song.

That's why I like to buy books and sheet music where it's properly written but haven't seen many good books for more than 20 years. Once, when I was a teenager, you could buy a song sheet of properly transcribed music for 40 cents and go from there. Now I have to rely on someone teaching songs correctly on the internet- most don't give me all that is needed.

4. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

From my own perspective, my playing is never good enough. It could always be better, so I am my biggest critic. On the face of it, this is a source of great frustration. However, looking back at past gigs and plenty of recordings this attitude has driven progress and I can honestly say my playing has got better over 50 years (well it would.....).
    I guess my point is music to me is a double edged sword, both inspirational and uplifting, but also frustrating and depressing at times.
    It's not a hobby but an addiction and a passion so I don't really pay to much attention to what others say.

Sounds Good likes this.
  5. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

All this pales into insignificance if you've ever attended a Karaoke evening. :eek:

dogmeat, Durtdog and nojazzhere like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

The replies seem to be debating whether a live performance has to be "perfect".....or if it's OK to "suck". Those aren't the only choices. Personally, most of my performances are (IMHO) far from perfect......but hopefully "good" and somewhat "impressive". When I hear a performer or band, I'm very pleased if their vocals are generally on pitch, they get the chords "mostly" correct, and they are, overall, pleasant and fun to listen to. I often hear elementary-level players who struggle, and I hope I offer encouragement and praise.....I was certainly there once. But where I may not be as supportive is with a bunch of guys, likely middle-aged, preening and strutting like they're all Mick Jagger, who have all played for twenty years, and are just pathetic. Hone your skills in the garage BEFORE you go inflict your awfulness on the public. Have a sense of "self awareness". I know I may step on some toes here, and I do apologize.
    The band I've been playing with often plays a "jam night", hosted by our bassist, where he lets people who are just terrible get up and play solo or with backup.....but they only play a few songs and get their performance "fix"....and then make way for someone else. Everyone gets praised and encouraged, and I'm happy to compliment them......but a four hour club gig?......please leave those to the "competent".....;)

8trackmind likes this.
  7. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

What do you want to bet those people played for free, or maybe some food, or whatever? Did you get your money's worth? Anyone playing for an unpaying audience in this day and age... getting paid top dollar so only the best local talent appears? Maybe it's part of a strategy to keep people from ordering a couple beers and then taking up a table for two hours.

On the other hand, I've heard of sound guys putting the monitor feed through a pitch shifter to help reduce feedback... could also cause havoc with hamonies!

8. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

In my band we spend a significant amount of time on harmony parts at rehearsal. It sounds great when the three singers nail it. Does it always work out in performance? Mostly I think.

nojazzhere and getbent like this.
  9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No matter how good you are playing a patio outside a restaurant somewhere people aren’t going to stop talking and pay attention anyway.

nojazzhere and getbent like this.
  10. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Beatles did that. They "sweetened" their otherwise non-stellar live performance, in the studio.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If you're good enough they will! ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.