Music Criticism - I probably don't have anything new here

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I do wonder, though... I was in food joint/bar, sitting outside listening to the live music. Guitar player, bass, rhythm guitarist (also lead vocalist) and drummer. Everyone was having a good time, as did I. I found the music mostly un-listenable. Mostly because their singing and harmonizing were out of tune. That said, my instinct told me not to make any comments about the music, and I did indeed keep my mouth shut. Now I'm back at work and my co-worker has some type of music mix comes on and some type of out-take of Fleetwood Mac doing "Go Your Own Way" was on. It was not the normal version, but some out-take or studio warm up version. It was completely out of tune and the singing was horrible. It struck me that Fleetwood Mac would never want anyone to hear that version of the song. Then if further struck me that I wonder if the band at the bar joint knew how bad they sounded.... I quit playing baseball (I was not a great player) because at some point I knew I wasn't good enough for my own standards....

Where am I going with this? I've heard of musician's that are perfectionists. So I guess to be honest that is the type of musician I want to listen to. But I also don't want to criticize. I'm curious if some musicians are aware of their own limitations, but the thrill of being on stage is just too irresistible.

ping-ping-clicka and tah1962 like this.
  2. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

If I ever suck I'll quit.

However, I should point out I play in Chattanooga and not Nashville. It's not the gold standard. Kinda cheap plastic.

I do hit my pitch. :lol::lol::lol:

PS: I try very hard to not criticize people's playing. But really, if you can't hit the damn pitch, what are you doing?

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  3. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

Depends on where you set the bar. These days it's nice to see people trying to play music in general... A lot of people quit playing guitar altogether. Hobbies tend to get drowned out in a world of technology. My problem is not that I don't want to practice more, it's just that when I get home I'm too tired to force it. And if I force it, it sounds bad.

Some bands really suck, but remember, at least they are trying!

The radio stations play worse bands than any live act out there anyway.

gimmeatele and 8trackmind like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Remember the Fleetwood Mac concert of The Dance? When I saw it on TV, it was very good. Well, I read some comments later from people who were there that what they witnessed and what was televised were two different things. Many things, especially vocals, were completely re-done in "post"......meaning the singers went into a studio and basically re-sang their parts. Apparently it's very common in filmed performances before released to everyone else. That MAY be what you heard. Who knows? ;)

Torren61 and tah1962 like this.
  5. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Our world needs people with limitless grace for others, and our world needs harsh critics. We need both.

corliss1, Torren61, boneyguy and 8 others like this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Fleetwood Mac aside (They were a great band. So no need for any criticism here.)

Good music is good music, and mediocre, or bad music is just that. Just because a band is getting paid playing at a joint doesn’t automatically make them special. I have heard horrible live acts over the years, and I have heard bands, duos, trios, that were phenomenal. It’s all subjective to the listener.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    tah1962 likes this.
  7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There's not perfect and there's completely oblivious, somewhere in between too as well I suppose. No one in my band is perfect. But we're good and people have fun.

8trackmind and superjam144 like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I rather enjoy up and growing bands to see how they are coming along. No, not because my timing sucks and my wife, the bass player says that I should stick to instrumentals, but because I can relate to their struggle. I have watched some young bands around here, mature and grow as musicians and I find it delightful to witness. Now, I suppose if I paid $100 for a ticket to watch a band, I would expect a bit more, but even the best pros have their off nights.

It does remind me of how I feel welcomed to enjoy music:

9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I hope people tell me when I suck. Its happened with ppl I deliberately asked, but not yet with random concerned citizens.

When told, one can:
    Get better.
    Be angry and keep sucking.
    Blame the sound guy.

Life's all about choices.

Wildcard_35 and superjam144 like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

When Ozzy Osbourne and his band recorded the Speak of the Devil live album, it was actually two different concerts on consecutive evenings, and they took the best parts of each to make the album. But if you go onto YouTube, you can find songs from the other evening, and Ozzy Osbourne sounds absolutely terrible. Beyond terrible.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Your example of Ozzy is different from what I posted about Fleetwood Mac. Two different yet "live" concerts, and taking the best from each. (in Ozzy's case) F.M., in post-production sweetened the performance in the studio and then passed it off as "live"........a bit of subterfuge in my book. ;)

12. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

I kinda like to hear the occasional off key vocal by a famous person. I would rather hear that than the criticism of that singer by a perfectionist who hasn't achieved any success in the field.

Wildcard_35 and superjam144 like this.
  13. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I figure if someone has the guts to perform in public then if I don't like them I can leave. If they ask for critiques sure, give them some. But no need to get nasty even if it's bad. Just tell them where you thought they were lacking

8trackmind likes this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I just read the the Wikipedia article about that Ozzy Osbourne album, it's pretty interesting. There's a lot of stuff I didn't know about it.

one of the things I learned was that all his vocals were in fact repaired in post-production. The YouTube recordings that I referenced earlier were actually soundboard recordings that were eventually made into bootlegs. He sounds absolutely terrible on those.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I don't mind bands or musicians sucking,even Danny Gatton & Tommy Emmanuel sucked once. What bothers me is musicians or bands that suck & don't know it & insist on subjecting us to the cacophony. Perfect example: I play guitar,pedal steel, bass, & banjo, & sing; pro level. BUT... I'm not the world's greatest banjo player, but I know it, and a band usually has to twist my arm to get me to play banjo onstage, because I don't wish to subject someone to my banjo playing. Why can't more people feel this way?

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

It's often a moving target trying to hear yourself on stage. In addition, it always sounds a little different wherever you play...and each of us sound a little different from day to day. Most of us can't afford a sound guy for a bar gig.

Add in the jitters, the fact that Steve's shoe is untied, you've lost count of the drinks the drummer had, the bass player isn't going to help load out and you've now lost your concentration as well.
    But hey, these are just excuses.
    A band making that kind of money (probably split $500 or so) should be more focused on their performance and sound just like the record.

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

What I struggle with is when someone is struggling or is not very good, and everyone around me is swept up in something that is not there... and I'm not wrong and if I say something, the response is that they are 'authentic' and it is 'supposed to be' like that.

Listen to the link. A lot of bands cannot do anything like that ever, period... I heard this

and thought... how do you have the stones to go out there with that.

Personalities aside, one of the clips belong and the other... not so much.

Jakedog likes this.
  18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've been singing for seven years or so now. From the feedback I receive I must be tone deaf - it sounds perfect in my head while I'm doing it, even when I'm monitored it sounds great to me in the monitors; just like the original. However, the feedback I receive isn't very rosy. It's hard to find out you suck at something you've worked at.

IMO if you haven't paid money to see someone, they have the right to suck. More power to them for getting out and trying it in public. Heck, I give money to buskers sometimes even if they don't have any idea how to play or sing, just for the effort.

Sounds Good and 8trackmind like this.
  19. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

I just want to find someone, anyone that likes to play what I like...any genre from the 40's thru 60's will be ah plenty...yeah I'm old school if that's what you wanna call it, I don't

gimmeatele likes this.
  20. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

fundamental rule of the universe..... everybody rocks! and everybody sucks....

there is a rock to suck ratio though... where you are on that curve is a long story with lots of variables

8trackmind likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.