Music as a Religious Experience?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PastorJay, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes, “transcendence” is more appropriate in this discussion. Unfortunately, the Ops term is too controversial.

To me, music can touch and inspire the essence of who we are and isn’t that why we pursue playing guitar?

P Thought, Greggorios and JL_LI like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
    No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

3. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

I agree with this. All religions correlate the here-and-now with something other or beyond, something transcedent. This isn't an ideal definition, of course, because there may be practices which we might not call "religious" but which do investigate the same sort of correlation. There is also the complication that that which is "beyond" is described with such antic variety, including even arguably in the case of Buddhism where that which is beyond is absolutely nothing; or in the case of Taoism, where line one in the basic text, the Tao Te Ching, that that which is beyond cannot neither be spoken of nor understood.

That's a bad sentence, but let he who is without sin cast the first stone,lol.

Larry F, JL_LI and P Thought like this.
  4. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Pishtosh. Anyone offended by adult discussion in good faith of any topic is a weakling.

5. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Elvin Jones is my all-time favorite drummer. Hearing him for the first time with Coltrane was a revelation. Until then, Ed Thigpen (played w/ O. Peterson) and Danny Richmond (Mingus) had been my favorite drummers. In the rock world (kinda), Ginger Baker is the one.

drmordo likes this.
  6. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Tell that to @buckocaster, not me.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    trev333 and Toto'sDad like this.
  7. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

Having seen them live 3 times in the 70's.....this moves me!

drmordo, Texicaster and P Thought like this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

@P Thought describes a musical experience as transcendent. I agree with him in his use of the word. For me, Mozart provides that experience, as does Prokofiev. Not being religious, what some get from reading the Bible, I get from physics, at least in the search for an explanation of why things are. So far as interpersonal relations are concerned, the concept of karma meets my needs. All of these are transcendental to me, bringing me to a higher level of understanding, experience, or meaning. SRV, not so much for me, but I understand how his music affects others that way.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Drew617, Frodebro, Greggorios and 2 others like this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"Roundabout" had transcendental power for me at one time.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I was thinking maybe “spiritual” would be a tdpri friendly word

Mandocaster68 and Greggorios like this.
  11. joealso

joealso Tele-Afflicted

Regardless of the word used to describe the feeling (religious, spiritual, transcendent, etc), I get it from music. It connects to something very deep inside me. I like to think it's my soul. I think of it as a deep level connection between me and the musician.

Some people get it from paintings or sculpture, others from books or architecture. What saddens me are all the people who fail to get it from anything at all. I couldn't live without that feeling.

JL_LI, chris m., Fretting out and 2 others like this.
  12. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The word "music" means "like or from the muse". A muse, whatever that is, is nothing if it ain't transcendental.

rand z and Greggorios like this.
  13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

That church organist guy from Eisenach was rather awesome.
    Some of his music gets played 300+ years after he was born.

14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I think that brain scans show that interesting things are happening when a person is deeply grooving to music. Akin to meditation’s effects in many ways. Our brains are very complex and it seems we feel great when we put our brains into certain situations. Interesting to speculate as to why it is evolutionarily adaptive. One possibility is that grooving deeply with others strengthens social ties, thereby increasing survival rates. Another hypothesis would be that this helps our complex brains operate more optimally- a sort of “reboot”, thereby enhancing fitness. For example, by reducing anxiety or depression and thereby enhancing cognitive fitness.

15. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

I'm a huge fan of gospel music- mostly more traditional stuff; I'm not religious, but I think it would be a better world if more people were. As far as what the OP is talking about, sometimes plain perfection gives me a feeling of something greater; I think I first got this from Bach; most recently from Imelda May. Sometimes the two cross;

16. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister

What hooked me on music early on was transcendent experiences.

For an understanding of religion go to "The Varieties of Religious Experiences." Despite being over a century old it is still a main text for Psychology of Religion courses in seminaries across a wide swathe of denominations.

loopfinding likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

RobRiggs and Torren61 like this.
  18. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

There’s certainly some crazy mystical shamanistic power involved in making air molecules vibrate in a way that makes people dance. It only seems mundane to us because we know how to do it.

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I experienced that. It was a 3,000 seat hall in Portland in 1972. The first half was good, and every song was to the point. The joints came out at the start of the second set. Everything about this set felt different, building in potential for a few songs, then the next thing I knew it felt like we all were on a church-sponsored rocket ship. The energy of the band and audience was in sync. It produced the effect of breathing as one. It was a totally enjoyable experience. Just lovely.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Given the circumstances you describe, you do realize you would have experienced the same dramatic effect from listening to a pocket transistor radio, or a light switch being switched on and off, and on, and off, and on, and off.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.