music and codes.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I like music when it gets away from its standard codes. I am thinking bloodshot bill or hasil adkins when it comes to rockabilly.

Does it legally qualify as rockabilly ? The purists would probably say no. I like it. Getting away from the codes a bit makes it better to me.

The same apply to the song introducing the fearless flyers, in the funk style.

Funk ? to me it sounds like it. It is fun. Maybe a bit too clinical for the purists.

A last one. Portal.

Does this qualify as death metal ? or as music ?

I don't know but i like it.

So the codes are not meant to be strictly followed. Maybe not even loosely followed.

My take.

edit and i am not talking about the dress codes, or the tribe codes among these people.

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
I don't care if it's rockabilly or not, bloodshot bill is great (and he plays my favorite model of electric guitar). I just call it rock and roll.

Vulfpeck is funk.

Metal is all just metal to me. Does every band need to have it's own subgenre, or just every town?

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't care if it's rockabilly or not, bloodshot bill is great (and he plays my favorite model of electric guitar). I just call it rock and roll.

Vulfpeck is funk.

Metal is all just metal to me. Does every band need to have it's own subgenre, or just every town?
Yeah. Rock and roll is wide though. It probablys goes from early beatles to chuck berry to matchbox 20. And so on.

Yeah BB is awesome.

JamesAM

Tele-Holic
so i think this is different from what you're talking about - it looks like you're more talking about music that doesn't fit neatly into a single genre - but throwing standard song structure conventions out the window is one of the low key things that completely turned music on its head for me. Getting away from the "code" of A-B-A-B-C-A-B is a revelation. The absolute king of this was roy orbison:

Song Structures: Roy Orbison and Kendrick Lamar | Disc Makers Blog

Running scared, for example, is just 4 verses and a resolution at the end (A-A-A-A-B). Orbison did all kinds of wild, off the wall stuff like this, and people think of him as one of the best songwriters in history! people who break conventions (whether they're genre or songwriting or anything) are really cool to me.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
What’s not rockabilly/RnR about bloodshot bill? They call all that vulfpeck stuff “berklee funk” but to me it just sounds like rehash of late 70s/early 80s fusion that had funky stuff in it.

Anyway, I always liked this band even though they mess with aesthetics a lot. It’s mostly 60s stuff in it but also a lot of anachronisms like synthesizers or krautrocky stuff later on. But it works, they feel like they’re from no particular time:

bottlenecker

Friend of Leo's
Yeah. Rock and roll is wide though. It probablys goes from early beatles to chuck berry to matchbox 20. And so on.

Yeah BB is awesome.

Yeah, rock and roll is a useless term because rock people kept using the term. But I don't think matchbox 20 is the same kind of music as chuck berry. I wish there was an easy term for what I like, I mean that's why we label, but genre labels are meaningless.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Code is inviolable. Music is not. Rockabilly seems at first glance to be coded in the Mixolydian mode but thirds and fifths are dropped when called for. I play a jazz/blues number in A Dorian and there’s one place that just screams out for an F. Code? Nah. Guide? More like it.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah, rock and roll is a useless term because rock people kept using the term. But I don't think matchbox 20 is the same kind of music as chuck berry. I wish there was an easy term for what I like, I mean that's why we label, but genre labels are meaningless.
No probelms dude.

johnny k

Poster Extraordinaire
Code is inviolable. Music is not. Rockabilly seems at first glance to be coded in the Mixolydian mode but thirds and fifths are dropped when called for. I play a jazz/blues number in A Dorian and there’s one place that just screams out for an F. Code? Nah. Guide? More like it.
YOu sire, are talkiking gibberish. Rock and roll is 1, 4, 5, of course dis disquilify oney dont ! but still...

cyclopean

Poster Extraordinaire

Vulfpeck is funk.

There are a ton of varieties of metal that sound nothing like each other. Boris and at the gates don’t sound anything alike.

Doomguy

Tele-Meister
I've been trying hard to get into Portal after hearing Phil Anselmo recommend them. I like death metal, I like noise, but I just don't get Portal.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
The same apply to the song introducing the fearless flyers, in the funk style.

Funk ? to me it sounds like it. It is fun. Maybe a bit too clinical for the purists.

It's funk mixed with a bit of bluegrass and jazz. Not terribly unusual if you listen to Primus, Stump or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.