Mushrooms in your neck of the woods.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Dec 11, 2019.

1. TheDams

TheDams Tele-Meister

And where I used to live, you can pick pleurotes du palicot on the sand dunes by the beach... reaaaaaally good in an omelette, w/ garlic and parsley.

brookdalebill, Stubee and johnny k like this.
  2. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

Cool. I pick them up in my mom s backyard. Got to the pick out the worms a bit, but still very very good.

3. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

The chicken of the woods is a wood loving varietal, I usually find them on the white oaks here.

johnny k likes this.
  4. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

The literal translation is poulet des bois, and that s not a name ive heard speaking of mushrooms. I m going to check them out though.

RoarDog likes this.
  5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I really like mushrooms, but I’m scared to pick them and eat them, same with oysters, love them but I’m scared of them.
    I’ve never known a case of mushroom poisoning, but I’ve seen how damaging a bad oyster can be on a human. I saw it about ten years ago, a story of the contaminated oyster beds in the north east. Before that I’ve eaten oysters in several forms, raw being the most popular with me.
    Mushrooms I leave to the experts and hope they get it right.

johnny k likes this.
  6. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I believe shiitake literally means "oak mushroom" I have several acres of white oak so procuring logs isn't an issue. We're planning on growing some. I have most everything I need to get started dowels, pressure cooker, liquid culture etc. I think I would like to start isolating the most robust rhizomorphic growth in agar and do jar to jar transfers under a flow hood (don't have one yet).

johnny k likes this.
  7. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

In northern Michigan we have a lot of mixed woods, farms and abandoned farmland etc and there’s a great variety of mushrooms. The only ones I’ve ever picked are morels.

There are a number of edible fungi that others with knowledge do gather. Years ago I was in a State forest in early Autumn hunting squirrels or just scouting deer sign. I came upon an older guy carrying a bucketful of different mushrooms and tree/root fungi. I’d seen a number of the ones he’d picked but had no idea they were edible nor that fall was even a time to gather them. He said they were edible “if you knew what you were doing” and I do not.

I keep this in my iBooks and it’s very interesting reading! 98AA2974-3BE4-4A7B-A157-561C016C3418.png

johnny k likes this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We just love to come across them while hiking, and just look at them. The job of someone else to eat them.....or not. My girlfriend is totally fascinated by these fruiting bodies that emerge from where-ever the "real" organism is hiding. I sure appreciate them now far more, than I did before we met.

johnny k likes this.
  9. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

At certain times of the year round where I live there are literally thousands of Dutch Cap (magic mushrooms) I have thought about trying them but unsure about dosages etc so have never tried, but the birds always seem to be 8 miles high. :D

johnny k, BB and brookdalebill like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Murica made of furriners!

johnny k and drlucky like this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Puffballs and inky caps are the two I know, but there are mushroom hunters in the area who will take paid students out to show them how to safely pick other wild mushrooms to eat.
    Puffballs are probably my favorite wild mushrooms, fried in butter they are delicious enough to not need any other foods alongside.

I suppose there are poisonous varieties of puffballs though?

johnny k likes this.
  12. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

13. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Death Trumpets grow well around here. Great for drying, and crumbling into various dishes through the following months.
    Insane amounts of plain Field Mushrooms this year. Plenty of Armillaria (Honey Fungi) always. And usually we find a few head sized Giant Puffball's (but not this year) which are always glady eaten.
    There are Porcini to be found, but I don't seem to have as much luck at finding the good variaties as many of my friends seem to.

johnny k likes this.
  14. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

There's an interesting connection between Christmas, fly agaric and Siberian shaman too much for a post but a very interesting Google search.

johnny k and BB like this.
  15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Here’s one from downtown Branson, about 20 years ago

upload_2019-12-11_13-27-41.jpeg

johnny k, brookdalebill and RoarDog like this.
  16. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I've heard of a toad stool but, that's an actual stool!!! What a find! For those reading this post, I'm about 45 min north east of Branson where this specimen was found. Chicken of the woods are edible and non poisonous however care must be taken with all edible wood loving species due to their ability to grow on wood that may be slightly toxic. Here most grow on various oaks and that's not on issue.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    johnny k likes this.
  17. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

After heavy rains we get some popping up on the golf course but my son's 9 or pitching wedge usually dispatches them.
    The only mushrooms I ever ingest come in a can because I'm pretty sure they won't kill me (or anything else).
    My days of free-range mushrooms are over.

johnny k likes this.
  18. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

Can you send some my way?? I need some magic in my life......

johnny k and brookdalebill like this.
  19. Mr. Neutron

Mr. Neutron Tele-Meister

What are the white fluffy ones that grow on the west (wet) slope of the Cascade Mtns. here in Oregon? Mushroom pickers are annually getting lost during Archery Hunting season, and have to be found and rescued.

Side note: Elk like to eat these white fluffy ones, a lot. I've seen places where the Elk have pawed and nibbled them right down to the dirt, typically at the base of older growth fir trees. And a short distance away will be piles of poop that looks like someone left a giant pile of marshmallows in the woods......

Gotta go. Gettin' hungry........

johnny k likes this.
  20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

B69BFAE3-8FBC-4FF8-BA8F-16BE3896615A.jpeg B84E0E2E-FFF2-4696-B8F9-7591052E05C0.jpeg

Here’s a couple from here.
    The first grew out of a tree stump, the second was growing in a potted Morning Glory plant.

johnny k likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.