Multitasking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kbold, Jul 14, 2019.

1. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Today, while thinking about something else, I emptied a new packet of ground coffee into my coffee plunger instead of the storage container.
    Luckily I realised my mistake, thinking how unclever that was, and thankful I hadn't taken the next step of adding hot water. Strong cuppa that would have been!

Are there any other multitasking buffoons out there, or am I the only one.

Greggorios and Fretting out like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I am single-minded and bad at multitasking. I accept that. Like at work: I'll be asked to juggle multiple tasks and I'll nod and ignore my boss and continue on doing one thing at a time. Sometimes I get caught but most of the time no one notices.

My wife says women are natural multi-taskers. I guess I'm too masculine. I know, weird flex.

Greggorios and Fretting out like this.
  3. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

4. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I was recently driving behind a woman who was all over the road for miles. It appeared she was folding laundry. I was laying on the horn and yelling "DRIVE YOUR FORKING CAR!!!" out the window.

Shuster and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I can rub my belly and tap my head at the same time.

6. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

There are also the multiasking buffoons.
    you gonna sell?how much?do you ship to...?

Stringbanger and nojazzhere like this.
  7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

Every morning at work I make a cup of coffee (instant + whitener, sorry) & a pot of instant porridge/oatmeal with cinnamon & dried fruit.
    A simple task, you may say. It was until recently.
    I have put coffee in my porridge, dried fruit in my coffee & added boiling water, cinnamon in my coffee (ok) & coffee whitener in my porridge (which actually improved it).
    As my grandfather used to say 'don't worry, it all goes down the same way'.

kbold, RodeoTex and mad dog like this.
  8. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Afflicted

There have been multiple study's suggesting that multitasking actually reduces productivity. Though most multitaskers are often too busy to read any of them.

Teleterr, bumnote, Greggorios and 5 others like this.
  9. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

The great myth of the 21st century.

10. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah but can you walk and chew gum?

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Now that’s a tough one, but I’m working on it.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

There's "multitasking", then there's "MULTITASKING"......as a driver who sincerely tries to be focused behind the wheel, I can actually feel less focused if someone calls my cell and I have to answer. It is an uncomfortable, "not fully in control" feeling.
    On the other hand, I can play somewhat complicated guitar parts (Rock and Roll Woman, I Feel Fine, Hazy Shade of Winter, etc.) and sing the vocals at the same time. But I guess that is not "off the cuff" multitasking.....it's more muscle memory and practice, huh?

Ricky D., Shuster and Greggorios like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

In Texas Monthly magazine once, in an interview with some Department of Public Safety officers, one told of following a car at 70MPH down the highway, swerving between two lanes. When he finally pulled her (yes, it was a woman) over, he discovered she was changing her baby's diaper in the seat beside her.......AT 70 MPH!!!!!!! ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    1 person likes this.
  14. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

On the money Mad Dog. Multi tasking is completely self delusional. Besides the autonomic nervous system our brains can only address a single task at a time. It can switch back and forth rather quickly, or as quickly as a specific brain and age can accommodate, but still, one thing at a time. The danger is in what can happen while the first task is "idling" while we mistakenly think we're still in control.

15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I am a multi tasking ninja. The challenge is how many tasks at once. The problem occurs is when one task stumps me for a few minutes and then I have to crank back up all of the multitasking over again.

16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I'll often arrange a bunch of tasks in my head, to try and have them all completed in the shortest time. So I'll put on the washing machine, as soon as I get up in the morning- before I visit the bathroom or put on the kettle. I prefer to get my news from the radio, while I'm driving, cutting grass or washing dishes, rather than sitting in front of the TV. I practice guitar, while watching sports and I break cooking down into phases, to be more efficient. For example, I always like to pre-soak beans and pulses, or I'll prepare vegetables, while doing the laundry and getting the news.
    If I drive to the shops, I'll try to do everything I want or need to, in one trip. I don't especially enjoy wandering around and browsing, nor unnecessary drives.

Not sure why I've developed these habits. Nobody would mistake me for a tidy minded, organised person, in other respects. Not sure if it's Multi-tasking, either. Co-ordinated activity, maybe?

don71 likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

my wife frequently interrupts me when I am working on projects and I jump out of my shoes startled and then upset. My kids make fun of my 'dog hearing a weird sound stare' when I am thinking about things. I listen to music when I work often to reach a trance like state where I am fully concentrating on one thing... kind of the opposite of multitasking... One of my mantras with my team at work is 'focus to finish' which is to say, don't get distracted and get this one thing done and then another... and another... I have a super busy day today... MANY tasks I want to complete... I am starting in 6 minutes... yeah, I'm like that.

BigDaddyLH and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know I was retiring when I retired. I thought I was going to find another job. But every interview I went to, they (always they, hiring all seems to be done by committee these days) asked me if I multi-task.

I don't.

No one does. You might do one thing for three seconds and something else for four, but you're always doing one thing. The problem is that when you fragment your tasks that way - that is, multi-task - you end up putting your coffee grounds into the plunger.

No one hired me, so I finally settled back on my Social Security laurels. Looks like the whole world is now being run by people on very, very, very strong coffee.

nojazzhere and kbold like this.
  19. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Someone asked Canadian author Alice Munro why she had an office instead of writing at home. She said her kids didn't understand that when she's looking out the window she's working.

20. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I know this sounds wierd but i start projects in every room and as I migrate through the house I work on that project eg

yesterday i was repairing a Yamaha P120 electric piano ( on the coffee table in the living room, no other place big enough to dismantle it ) and my tools were in the studio so I went into the studio to get my tools and I had a dell monitor dissassembled to re cap it, worked on that but needed to get my coffee from the living room went in with the appropriate tools and had my coffee whilst working on the piano, then went back into the studio to resolder caps.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.