Multiple Teles- Why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bravescoob, May 2, 2019.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Multiple Teles - why?

Why not? :)

bravescoob and Flaneur like this.
  2. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'm going to try to use wine as an analogy…

Fender = Red Wine
    Gibson = White Wine

I can try a few samplings of red wine and a few samplings of white wine and pretty quickly decide whether or not I have a preference for one over the other (obviously, some people simply love both). For me, I was able to say pretty quickly that I'm a confirmed red wine drinker. I still tried plenty of white wine along the way…but I always woke up with a headache.

Anyways, within the realm of red wine, there are so many different types - Cab Sauv (Tele), Merlot (Strat), Pinot Noir (Jazzmaster), etc. Unlike the more obvious decision between red wine and white wine, learning my preference for a particular type of red wine took more time (and a lot of sampling). The differences are more nuanced. I really had to enjoy multiple labels of each type before I could hone in on my preferences.

It took years, but I've learned that a Cab Sauv (Tele) is definitely my favorite type of red wine. Other types of red wine are certainly enjoyable (and familiar) - but, now that I know my preferences, why would I want to own something that's only my second or third favorite? It'll just sit in the cellar.

So, I'm sticking to Cab Sauv's. There are still so many labels to explore! Here are three that I own right now (all made with California grapes, haha) -

[​IMG]

Of course, I'm still happy to go to the wine store (guitar store) and try some samples (play other types of guitars in the store) - but it's unlikely that I'm going to leave with anything other than my beloved Cab Sauv (Tele).

Chino, bravescoob and mimmo like this.
  3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Meister

1) Nashville
    2) Cabronita thinline
    3) 69 style thinline, standard Telecaster pickup pair
    4) 72 style thinline, humbuckers

And that's without a single plain old Telecaster. :)

bravescoob likes this.
  4. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I love telecasters. I buy different models with some variations, but simply put I love them.

bravescoob likes this.
  5. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

It's all been said by now in this thread. That fact has deterred me from posting my own comments before now. But, as a guy that has four teles and planning for a fifth to be custom built, I'll go ahead and chime in, even if my reply is largely just a reiteration of the comments of others. First, here are my four teles, each one built by Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars.
    My Vox Pathfinder 15Rs and my Logan Custom teles.jpg

Alternative pickups. I have three brands of pickups in those four teles. The two on the left feature Wilkinson single coil pickups (vintage style tele pups, with the exception of the P-90 in the neck position of the first, the mahogany). The Butterscotch Blonde has a set of DiMarzio Twang Kings. Last but not least is my "Firecaster" (made from lumber salvaged from our house fire in 2010), which has a set of Bill Lawrence Keystone tele pickups.

Alternative switching/wiring. The two on the left (mahogany and honey blonde) both have the traditional 3-way switch. The BSB has a 4-way switch, and the Firecaster has Bill Lawrence's 5-way switching to go with the Lawrence Keystone pickups.

Alternative bridges. The mahogany and the honey blonde "Logo" thinline both have the vintage style ash try bridge (the mahogany in gold, the honey blonde in chrome). The BSB and the Firecaster both have Bob Logan's stainless steel bridge plate. Also, the BSB has a "straight plate," with the alignment of the bridge pickup being straight versus slanted.

Alternative necks. This isn't a real important aspect to me. As you can see, all four of mine have maple for both the neck and fretboard. But in general, this gives the option for having different fretboard materials and/or different profiles and radii, if one so desires. And although all four of mine are maple, two are Birdseye maple and two are plain (well, is some subtle figuring). I want all my tele necks to be the same profile and radius: Medium C and 9.5".

Alternative colors. As tery said,
    While that comment was likely said in jest, there is still a touch of truth to that reasoning. Superficial differences, yes, but still that plays a part (pun intended). I like that my four teles each has a slightly different look. And of course the look of each one appeals to to me.

In addition to the different categories of alternatives mentioned above, as El Tele Lobo said,
    This is definitely true of my four. Each has its own history, coming to me at different times from the same custom builder, and their own personality. Each has its own personality and distinctiveness, even though the body and neck style looks the same. Yes, the differences are subtle, but they're real, and I notice them even if no one else does.

JL_LI, bravescoob, mimmo and 2 others like this.
  6. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

is there a set limit ? As many have stated above, me as well, they are not the same. Similar but different. Different stories, different histories , different era's, I've probably owned 20 or 25 different teles over the years, Now I'm stuck with 5 !

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    bravescoob likes this.
  7. Woollymonster

Woollymonster Tele-Meister

One boutique DeTemple '52 Spirit with one piece ash body, hard maple quarter sawn boat V neck, Fralin Blues Special pickups.
    [​IMG]
    One Fender Custom Shop '59 3 Tone Sunburst with two piece alder body, '59 C profile WW10 quarter sawn maple neck with Brazilian board. Custom Josefina hand wound pickups.
    [​IMG]
    Both sound, play, and feel awesome but uniquely different. I could not live without either one!

I prefer quality over quantity. Others don't and that's okay! Two LP's, Gretsch Duo Jet, Strat, HD-28V, I'm set for life.

bravescoob and heffus like this.
  8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If I find a shoe that's really working for me, I might keep an eye open and if the price is low enough I keep buying until I have a dozen (or until I can't find them anymore which usually happens much sooner). You just make sure there's nothing dumb going on like a blown rubber layer under the tread that disintegrates. Why? Because there's nothing more infuriating than finally finding something you like, and then you go to replace it and it doesn't exist anymore. This idea that we can always count on the availability of good Teles - now, we don't know that for sure ever, do we? You cannot find Cunife pickupped models anymore; you can't get Brazilian rosewood anymore and soon enough you may not be able to get rosewood boards at all.

bravescoob likes this.
  9. esetter

esetter Friend of Leo's

Why not?

bravescoob likes this.
  10. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

One with singles, one with buckers, one set up so i can pretend to be a competent slide player.;)

bravescoob likes this.
  11. Slippery Jack

Slippery Jack Tele-Meister

I bought number two as a spare when I gig. I wore out the frets on number one, then the bridge pickup packed in. So, instead of having it all sorted out I bought another one, white that went well with the band outfits.

Then I had number one resprayed in a different colour, refretted, and a replacement pickup.

I do actually play them all regularly in the band. But, to be honest, one would probably do. I do have other guitars that would be ok as spares.

I've even got the same sounding pickups in them so they all sound the same.

bravescoob likes this.
  12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

We have winner!!!

bravescoob likes this.
  13. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

One is Nashville style, one is a normal tele, then backups for each!

bravescoob likes this.
  14. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

I'm back to playing guitars after a long hiatus. Good to see the questions didn't change much.

To me, no two guitars sound the same. This is what I have (at the moment)

- MIM 72 Thinline with Filtertron type humbuckers and maple fingerboard . My favourite tele.

- 69 Thinline partscaster with Fender noiseless pickups and rosewood fingerboard.

- American Highway Tele fitted with Bigsby and maple fingerboard. More of a test Tele with multiple pickup combinations. The neck cannot be adjusted so I made it open tuning.

- Semi hollow Tele with a single humbucker pickup and rosewood fingerboard with flatwound strings. I intended this Tele for more Jazz type sound. I want to replace the pickup with a Bartolini humbucker but funds are a bit low at the moment.

I still have a black solid body Tele in the shed that needs a neck and other stuff. I'm not planning to do much fiddling around as I'm simply enjoying playing again.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    bravescoob likes this.
  15. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, why? :confused:

I tend to be very practical, so I just don't get it; but to each, his own. ;)

bravescoob likes this.
  16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i'd consider a second guitar of the same make for a backup instrument for live use. i'm probably going to do that at some point.

bravescoob likes this.
  17. bravescoob

bravescoob Tele-Meister

I think this was a good synthesis of the previous comments; thanks for sharing! Lovely Teles you've got there for sure.

LGOberean likes this.
  18. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

No it aint.
    There’s s lot of things Keith Richards has done that I feel no need to emulate.

In open G, having that bottom string tuned to D is mandatory for me.

Why only use 83.3% of your strings?:D

LGOberean likes this.
  19. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Before I bought my AVRI, I was checking out those Vintage brand ‘52 Teles and I have to say, I loved the Wilkinson pickups. Really inexpensive but beautiful tone!

20. HMZman

HMZman NEW MEMBER!

I have an American 2015 HH and would love to get a traditional American Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.