Multiple Teles- Why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bravescoob, May 2, 2019.

1. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I love the fret wear rationale; I first heard that on here a couple of years ago and have seized it:lol:

But seriously - one normal SS, one tuned down to Eb, one open g five string, one esquire - those four are a minimum for me:)

The ergonomics of a Tele work very well for me, which is another reason.

Of course you need a few other voices, so an LP and a Junior are also must-haves for me.

2. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i've got a standard config tele and a custom with p90s. that's about all the electric guitar i need

3. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I have a mostly stock Baja 50's with Callaham compensated saddles as my 'regular'maple boarded Tele.
    I have a MIJ 50th Anniversary with a rosewood board and a Chopper T bridge / Twang King neck(like the Richie Kotzen model) for a different sound.
    Then later today (hopefully) I have a G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy in Ash with the full humbucker in the neck arriving via UPS. So, yeah, they are all different so I totally need all of them :)

4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

If all teles were the same, I'd see no point to having more than one. But they're not. My two partscaster teles could hardly be more different. I could have a few more that would be equally distinct, tonally, in feel, weight, pickups, woods ... almost any way you care to assess them.

To infer great similarity just based on model name is not always warranted.

5. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

Well assuming you’re not my wife in disguise....I have 5 Telecasters, 2 Stratocasters, 3 Archtops, A Nylon String, A Taylor Acoustic, A Gypsy Jazz Guitar. All have different tones and uses. I am a full time player and teacher, so they all get used on a regular basis. The Telecaster thing though is clearly an addiction and obsession of the highest order. An even bigger problem is the number of overdrive pedals I went through trying to find my current setup. I keep all of it so when I die all my friends get a guitar or a pedal....hahahahaha!!!!!

petemoss41, NewKid and knockeduptele like this.
  6. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Each guitar, even with similar specs can be different, they are made from unique living things, then add in different pickups, bridges, string gauges, colors, inspirations, control configurations. Also, tastes and needs change as well, so one may add another guitar to meet those as time goes on.

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

why not?

8. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

You always need at least a second one to keep in Albert Collins tuning.

fenderchamp likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I only have one but if I got it stuck in my head that I needed another guitar, particularly a humbucker equipped guitar or a P90 equipped guitar than I don't see why I would necessarily want a Les Paul or something instead of a 2nd Tele with a different pickup setup.

I am used to the scale of a Tele & the body shape of a Tele so I think it would be natural to consider another Tele as the first choice for a 2nd electric guitar and then try and come up with reasons why I should get something else instead for that 2nd electric. As others have said it doesn't hurt that Teles tend to be reasonably priced and bombproof compared to other guitars too!

10. Bigmo500

Bigmo500 TDPRI Member

I've also wondered why the multiple Telecasters.
    I have one Telecaster, my most recent guitar, a Tidepool Player. For the first time in my life I needed a country twang voice and it delivers in spades.
    Each of my four guitars is a different brand, look and purpose. A black cherry flame PRS SE Custom 24 for rock leads, a black Gretsch Electromatic ProJet for classic rock rhythm, and a red Yamaha acoustic-electric.
    My next guitar will be a hollowbody or center-block. Each with a different voice depending on the song, but primarily because I like the variety of guitars.

11. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I currently have 5, 2 are on gig rotation. The others see gigs now and then. They are not the same, they don't sound the same ( to me ) . I've owned multiple guitars my whole life, it just something I've done. I'll buy another if I run across one that I like and suits my playing.

I don't play Golf , i don't own a Motor Home, or a Boat or a Cabin in the woods etc.. I do have a Jeep though.

I did just sell a few amps and acquired a Dr Z Maz 38. I did go thru about 6 different Acoustics before settling on the 2012 Taylor 414, does any of this count ? or even matter ? I only have ONE Acoustic. Wait... I forgot I have a Guid I bought new in 69 which I never play. I look at it !

I buy stuff I like, I keep stuff I like, then maybe one day sell it . I have ONE Tele which I may sell, maybe. I can't decide ! I'll let you know ! :(

12. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I prefer my P90s in a Telecaster body.

I prefer my Humbuckers to be Wide Range.

I prefer my Filtertrons in a Telecaster body.

I like the sounds and playability of a '52 style Telecaster.

I love the alternative voicings of a Broadcaster-equipped Telecaster.

I sometimes want my Telecaster to give me the simplicity and discipline of a single pickup palette of sounds.

I sometimes need an extremely versatile platform, to maximise the tonal options available in one guitar....a Telecaster.

I need a Telecaster entirely devoted to and set up for playing slide, in open tunings.

I need a beater Telecaster, for use in sketchy venues and to be taken around on public transport.

It's all about personal preferences. Some guys like to own at least one of all the famous guitar brands and shapes. I don't really care for Les Pauls, 335s or Strats but, in common with many posters on this forum, I'm rather fond of the Telecaster design.

;):rolleyes::cool:

13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

My guitar collecting affliction has nothing to do with need or rational thinking. The Devil makes me do it.:)

DHart likes this.
  14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

I spent a couple of hours in a music shop today trying out different Teles. I already have two Classic 50s MIM, one is near standard bar upgraded pickups, the other (my avatar) has a lot of mods including humbuckers. They are both very different sounding and also feel quite different considering very similar specs, but 2008 and the other is 2015, so different neck profiles and aged differently.

I tried pretty much all the current range, including a CS double bound that they just got in secondhand. So many different feels/frets/radius which I compared to a Classic 50s they had in stock so I had a reference (it still felt a little different to mine though).

I was only playing into a Boss Katana set to the clean channel, but they all had quite different sounds, especially on the middle position. Some more 'funky' sounding, others a bit more piercing, others a bit more mellow. All the sounds I could use at some point though. I found I didn't get on with models with 'tall' frets and wasn't keen on the compound radius of the Elite series (but did like the sound and Gen 4 noiseless pickups).

I managed to leave without buying anything as I wanted to have a think about the options. I have converted my 'standard' Tele to an Esquire with Eldred mode wiring this week and like the result, hence why I'm looking for a 'better' double single coil Tele to fill that space.

I'm sure in the future I could also add some kind of Cabronita (I have a Gretsch, so I guess it's a natural progression). It's not rational really; my avatar Tele covers a huge range of tones already and that's before I fit the mid boost kit that is next on the mods list. The only 'rule' is that they have to be either 2 tone sunburst or white blonde as then my wife assumes it's the same guitar if I should buy another one...

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly !

MOMENT ='s > Desire ='s > Gotta Have it Factor .

I think money is the lowest of the conscious thought factor but does figure in somewhere ! :)

Beachbum likes this.
  16. telemaster03

telemaster03 Tele-Meister

I have four. I'll probably buy more.

Because I can.

17. 20000 Roads

20000 Roads Tele-Meister

I have a B bender Tele that is strung with light strings and is voiced like a 56-ish. Then I have a black Nocaster with a black pickguard that I string with heavys with a wound 3rd and it's voiced like a particularly dark early 50s. The first is wonderful for classic country and rock, and the other is an absolute killer for jazz. I'll acquire more once I have a stable living situation.

18. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1 TDPRI Member

There is a Muddy version? :eek:

I'm guessing they are expensive. :cry:

19. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

Reverends are great and way under appreciated. I have a Rocco and a Double Agent OG. I checked out the Eastsiders and almost bought one, but I HAD to have a 7.25” radius neck in my life again. By the way, have you played a roasted maple neck? My Double Agent has one. They are amazing.

Attached Files:

Skamania and TeleTex82 like this.
  20. Chino

Chino Tele-Meister

I have about 14 guitars. I just bought my AVRI ‘52 Tele, but I also have a G&L ASAT Standard with custom Rio Grande pickups (make it sound more like a Tele) and a Tom Anderson Hollow T Classic. I bought the AVRI because I fell in love with the vintage Tele sound but I want another Tele with a more modern sound, at least more modern than a ‘52, to replace my late 60s-early 70s Tele that got destroyed many years ago. :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.