Multiple Teles- Why?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bravescoob, May 2, 2019.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

All mine have unique personalities, histories, pickup configurations, neck shapes and applications. If I could find one that did it all, I would. But as it is, I have two set up with heavy strings for jazz, two set up traditional and one set up as an Esquire. Two of the 5 were finished by me. 4 of the 5 were built/assembled from various parts by me. They're all better than guitars that cost twice as much. But I'm pretty content with what I have at this point. The Esquire (along with a bunch of other equipment) will likely be sold to cover school expenses. What can I say? I like to tinker with gear. I don't have a wife, children or a girlfriend, so it keeps me occupied. Mostly these days, though, I'm spending more time working on my playing and songwriting...

Bruxist, nicod98, DHart and 3 others like this.
  2. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

The Tele is the ultimate modding platform. I wouldn't want 2 the same, but there are so many options.

As others have mentioned. Lots of people collect lots of things. If you're good at buying guitars the value in the collection is never really lost (unlike many other things), so why not? If you've done it right you can always downsize & get your money back (should you actually find the only guitar you ever want to play).

DHart, El Tele Lobo and Manothemtns like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oh, and as to why all teles? I don't like Gibsons (except one acoustic i have) or most other brands. I can't afford Gretches or archtops or even most nice flattops. And teles are versatile, man. You can play anything on them. They're also durable. Accidents that would WRECK a Gibson or Gretsch often don't even knock a tele out of tune. Plus, they're modular design makes them an ideal platform for modding and customizing. You can't do that with many other brands. My dad was a hot rod customizer in the 50s. I guess it's in my genes...

2 Headed Goat, Flaneur, DHart and 2 others like this.
  4. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I had three. Because, teles...

[​IMG]

but now Im down to one, my grail.. AV62

[​IMG]

but I have a couple more planned purchases.. a thinline, a tele with P90's, a cabronita, a 52' Broadcaster/Nocaster/Esquire and a bunch more..

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've never simultaneously owned more than one Telecaster. I DO own several different six-string electrics, and two distinct basses. (one Hofner, one Fender) But as I recently mentioned in another thread, I've been considering building a copy of my #1 Tele, as a back-up/spare. It is so unique from ANYTHING off the rack, that if something happened to my main one I'd be in a world of hurt. But other than that, I don't feel the need to "accumulate" a pile of Teles......;)

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I love the one I have enought to want another one. But maybe with a Rosewood board

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

They look purdy...

IMG_20190306_091304.jpg

8. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

I've had a decent amount of different guitars. But traded/sold some of them because once I really got down to playing a Tele, I realized the configuration just worked for me. I don't want it complicated and it just suits my style. So I got different T-style with different options but with similar controls. But there's still some other that I like to mess around with! IMG_3210.JPG IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3750.JPG

9. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Meister

I probably wouldn’t want more than one of any given model of Tele, but there are enough different models to keep me collecting for a while.

Here’s my two Player series Teles.
    172EFA33-CACC-482A-8BE9-0A4F5AD1CA1F.jpeg
    41ED5727-AAC2-4726-820C-CEFFF6EDAFF5.jpeg

El Tele Lobo and tery like this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Some need an LP, Strat, Tele, SG, Jazzmaster ... But a Tele can be all those things.

Or just different colors.

TokyoPortrait, El Tele Lobo and tery like this.
  11. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

13. You should have an Esquire.

I know, technically a different guitar. Still a T-body and you should have one.

- D

JJOVa, PlainAllman and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've got 7, but they all do different things. One's got a rail in the bridge and a Strat pickup in the neck, one's got a Hipshot bender. 2 Rosewood necks, 5 Maple. One Partscaster has the bridge pickup wired straight to the output jack. A stock Fender and a 'stock' Danocaster. A double-bound black one with a Strat neck.

Like someone said, great modding platforms. The possibilities are endless.

And as far as Gibsons go, who says you can't own both? :) I've got a few Gibbys, and I love them as much as I love my Teles.

- D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Greg_L

Greg_L Tele-Holic

I have two Les Pauls, two SGs, an LP Jr. Zero Telecasters.

Being a Gibson guy, having two Les Pauls is no big deal. I'm weird for having only two! They're different...even though they're the same. So I can totally see why people that like Teles would want many of them.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

This.

Tele's are great guitars and very versatile. Because of its versatility, it makes a great platform different configurations. Pine, Alder, Ash bodies. A Charlie Christian pickup in the neck and its a jazz guitar.

15. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I really don't see how the OP question could be anything more than phishing on a Tele forum so I'll just answer that it is because I don't have one of every color with every pickup combination and every fretboard combination yet.

JJOVa, G-52, Phrygian77 and 7 others like this.
  16. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Re-frets are expensive!

You need enough guitars so you will never be forced into a situation where you must pay for a re-fret.

17. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

I love my LPB MIM and just ordered a new blonde road worn 50s. It's like having children. No matter how many you have, you love them all, and besides it's fun getting them:twisted:

18. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Meister

1. 1996 52AVRI. I keep this one stock. Sounds the best and plays the best.

2. Fender parts Tele which lets me explore and educated me on how to work on guitars before I touched my '96 (leveling/dressing frets for example).

Differences include Wilkinson compensated bridge, Lincoln hat PU switch knob, height adjustment screws on pickguard, 4-way switch. Reversed colors (mint guard and dark fretboard). It also has a "swimming pool" route for pickup exploration--at one point I had a P90 for neck and may do a Strat configuration in the future. I may get F neck plate as a nod to 70s Teles.

3. Warmoth Cabronita moded for P90s. I hope to find a vintage looking bridge for this guy. This is my most modern spec Tele (flatter neck radius and jumbo frets for example) and probably least favorite :( Fun to mod things though. I will learn to shape necks on this huge trunk.

In the photo you can see them in the back. I took this photo for my Jaguar thread.

19. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I have no idea why. But-----I have 4 natural finish ash bodies, all with maple necks, same pickups, 3 with the same bridge, all with the same tuners, all wired the same way.

20. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

Because he who has the most guitars wins

Some family happy snaps of my T girls, I made the rosewood looking one because I wanted one with a P90 and was always fond of George’s tele

I bought the right handed one for my daughter, one day she’ll probably get it but meanwhile I’m learning to be ambidextrous

They have a sibling or two of the strat variety and even some of those cousins made upstairs at fender of the Gretsch variant.
    And dare I say it I have a couple other ladies of the other G variety and their lovely Asian cousin known as Dotty (if you know what I mean)

The optimum number of Guitars is the amount you have plus one

DFD0F27D-431A-44BB-9344-6CE8C4FAC56D.jpeg 5193B11F-16D9-4836-A8D9-0F6334BF09EB.jpeg 8B9820DC-F53C-477F-838F-B66B7FF72276.jpeg
    1BA1CAFC-26E5-4094-A2C1-4C15A46C8628.jpeg

Ivorytooth and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.