Multiple Guitar Mics / Comb Filtering?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Carl_Tone, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

So I mic 2 amps using 3 mics. Works like a champ in Samplitude.

Nothing but ugly comb filtering in Cakewalk. Maybe that’s why Cakewalk is free?

Never had that happen back in the day when it was Cakewalk home studio running in XP.

2. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Could be phase issues from the mic's ?

Frodebro likes this.
  3. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Combing is 100% a phasing issue that can easily be fixed by repositioning the mics.

Frodebro likes this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mic positions can easily influence phase. I suppose you may as well check the phase of each mic into the board.

5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

To get in phase, just ensure all the mic diaphragms are equidistant from the source.
    Unless you're using the phase effect to alter tone.

6. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

No... something else is going wrong.
    • Were the tracks recorded at the same time as your samplitude tests... with the same positions. If not, then all is not equal and the comparison cannot be made.
    • If things are equal... are you sure you don't have a channel inverted in Cakewalk?
    • Any plugins in play? If so, get rid of them until you solve the fundamental problem.

Carl_Tone likes this.
  7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

So far the best solution has been just to to do all the recording in Samplitude. It may be that Cakewalk doesnt play well with the AP 192 pci card. I like my mics where they are...they worked back in the day with CW home studio / win XP, they worked for several years with Samplitude / Win 7, but they have never worked with Sonar 8 & Cakewalk BL. I will though, when I get a chance, switch to 1 mic as a test. Thx

8. codamedia

Although it's been many, many years... I used to use an AP 192 Cakewalk/Sonar for quite a while and don't recall any issues.

If you have multiple sound cards on your machine (even just built in) make sure SONAR is using the AP192 for the clock... If Sonar uses a different audio card for the clock I could see there being some drift... and that may cause what you are hearing. I don't remember where it is exactly... but it should be in the "audio settings" for Sonar.

Carl_Tone likes this.
  9. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

Good call, I do have an old 2496 in there as a back up but it's not needed. So you would advise to physically pull it from the system?

10. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

First, congrats on using Samplitude. It's the underdog, but I really like that program. I have no idea how to use it, but the best recordings I've ever played on were done by a friend who was a Samplitude wiz.

Is the comb filtering happening when you're monitoring live in Cakewalk? If not, there's definitely an internal Cakewalk issue. If so, there does seem to be an issue with the input that Samplitude isn't encountering.

I'd remove the 2496 like it was an inflamed appendix. Won't cost you a thing but a few minutes of your life.

You could also download Reaper and/or Audacity to see how they handle the situation and have more data.

Carl_Tone likes this.
  11. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

Thanks Ben!

First Samplitude I had was in the 90's SEK'D Samplitude Studio or something like that...Pro X4 is great. Most outstanding feature is the object editing, it allows you to have a new set of sub mix controls open up on a clip so that each clip becomes like a track within a track and you can assign independant volume. eq, effects plugins on a submix level.

12. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

THANKS It was using the the 2496 for timing....much better now!!!

Digital Larry and codamedia like this.
  13. codamedia

I was reaching deep with that one :p
    I think Sonar is the only DAW I have used that doesn't automatically use the primary interface for timing... you always had to double check to make sure.

Glad it worked out for you... that's not always how it ends up :lol:

Carl_Tone likes this.
  14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Tele-Meister

I finally got CWBL to work. Problem was in setting up Audio input output panel. Seems it's ESSENTIAL to click APPLY before you click OK! It now worrks just as smooth as my Sonar 8 does.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.