1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multiple Amps to one cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bradleyd15, Mar 5, 2021.

Tags:
  1. bradleyd15

bradleyd15 TDPRI Member

I am looking for a solution to a problem I have encountered recently! I have a few guitar heads but I have limited space for using them. I have them set up on a shelfing unit with a 2x12 speaker cab at the bottom. my issue is with switching from one amp to another. how would you go about switching amps without having to pull the cab out and manually switch the input at the rear of the cab and amps?

I was leaning towards using a double ended female 1/4 jack to go from the amp cables to the cab cable. with this could I essentially have an input on the front of the shelfing unit or would this cause issues with impedance or interference?

here is the jack I was looking at (Amazon UK link)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0725T93NJ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?smid=A37UIWTX9E7SG1&psc=1

For an example the signal chain would go:
    Guitar-instrument Cable-Amp-Speaker Cable#1-!/4 double female jack- Speaker Cable#2-2x12

with the variable being the Amp being switched between speaker cable 2 and the female jack.

2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Stereo cab?

Plug 1 amp into 1 half, other amp into other half.

Pretty easy to find.

3. bradleyd15

bradleyd15 TDPRI Member

I thought of it but its not what I'm trying to achieve. I like the setup i have. just want to be able to swap amps without pulling the head and cab off the shelf. would only ever be using one amp at a time and all others would be off. i have 3 amps going to one cab and at the moment If i want to switch amps I have to move 2 heads and a cab to rewire it all.

4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

5. bradleyd15

bradleyd15 TDPRI Member

Ideally Yes! but i dont have that budget currently.... was trying to cheap out on it and essentially do this manually!

to clarify I only ever power one amp at a time but want to avoid climbing behind my cab to switch my amp cables!
    Basically I want a front input 2x12 and cables ready just to plug into the cab input from the amp output

Thanks everyone for the help:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.