MultiFX: Boss GT-100 vs DigiTech RP360XP

Archtop Bill

Tele-Holic
I never have been much of a pedal guy. I only owned two in my life, a Dunlop Cry Baby and a Boss chorus. I sold them both in the early 90's.

I am gassing for a multifx all of a sudden in large part because I think I would enjoy a looper. Since some loopers cost as much as some multifx, I am leaning in that direction. The GT-100 and RP360XP have some handy features for recording, MP3 input and they could tie in to the PA at work. Most of the time I would use this with my Super Sonic 22 and maybe occasionally with the headphones as a standalone. They cost $500 and $200 respectfully. Anyone have experience with one or both? Is the GT-100 worth the premium?

Thx

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
I own/use various multi-effects units for gigs, practice, and recording, but I don't have experience with either one of those units mentioned.

You mention the looping feature. Keep in mind that many of the multi-effects (no idea about the 2 you mentioned) limit the loop time of 30 or 40 seconds. Now that is plenty of time for say a 12 or 16 bar progression (which of course is a LOT of songs) but not long enough to practice (for example) Gilmour's guitar solo on Another Brick In The Wall. So...just FYI. I think my Boss ME-70 has a 40 second loop time, and I find its loop feature adequate for many guitar practice applications.

lefty73

Tele-Afflicted
If you're just looking for a looper, a TC Electronic Ditto, for example, would be a much better choice. They're about $70 used, and around $100 new.

Why pay a premium for effects or amp models you're likely to never use, especially since you state "I never have been much of a pedal guy" right off the bat? That's not a bad thing AT ALL, it just begs the question why you'd want to jump into a MFX unit primarily for the looper.

Junkyard Dog

Friend of Leo's
Yeah, if your ONLY intended application is looping, then a multi-effects system is likely not the best choice...esp. not a $500 model. Now if you see one used for $50 or something, and/or you may use the other features for recording, etc., then that's a different story.