1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi scale thoughts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gangreen, Sep 23, 2014.

1. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the input. Haven't drilled holes yet. That's sounds right. Was having second thoughts about the high E.

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I put the saddle almost all the way forward on a high e and put that right on the scale.

3. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-1669715546.jpg

After much measuring I drilled the holes to mount the bridge pieces. As discussed I set the saddles in the middle of their adjustment range (~3/8"), put the treble E dead on its scale and the bass E 3/16" long of its scale. Connected the dots and spaced the others evenly, which didn't take much thinking because they were almost rubbing elbows to start.

image-1269211689.jpg

3/32" holes for the two mounting screws and 5/16" hole for the string to pass through and to hold the ferrule on the back.

image-4115121202.jpg

image-2694415901.jpg

Here's how the holes line up with the bridge base pieces.

image-2682483334.jpg

image-3046545474.jpg

Everybody smiling for a picture.

image-1960851841.jpg

Black. Everything black!

4. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-679110730.jpg

I just couldn't help myself. After getting the bridge pieces located this morning I had to run home at lunch and throw some tuners and strings on it just to see how it felt. Action is terrible but the neck feels good. We'll see what happens when it is set up properly. Was having nagging doubts this morning. I think it will be more than playable when it's finished and set up correctly. More than an ornament anyway.

5. vuduchild

vuduchild TDPRI Member

Could you expect the action to be right, right off the bench? I'm much more interested in seeing how the playability and intonation stack up.

Looks good from here!

6. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

No. I didn't expect the action to be good. Roughly slotted the nut just of the strings would stay in place. But it was playable and the height of the bridge pieces relative to the neck and frets were close enough that it should set up nicely once the nut and the neck or adjusted. Really wanted to see if my neck angle and the height of the bridge pieces was going to work. Looks like they will. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

7. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Spent some time adjusting the nut and string height. Plays well. Looking forward to getting this one hooked up to the big noisemaker.

image-2089781133.jpg

Cavity cover with the standard 3/4" MDF template.

image-2216642381.jpg

Cover in place.

8. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-2083220717.jpg

image-2333320787.jpg

Clears coats are done. Let them sit for a while before polishing.

9. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Sat for a few weeks. Went over the whole thing with 0000 steel wool to knock down any nibs or rough spots from the last tung oil coat. Vacuumed and blew off the dust. Applied a coat of paste was, let that dry and polished. Then 2 coats of shielding paint in the cavity.

image-906864500.jpg

image-507691.jpg

10. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

All dressed up and easy for the ball. Nut took a while. I can see why a perpendicular nut and angled 0 fret are used. The individual saddles are sitting directly adjacent to each other, i.e. the strings are as close together as they could get at the bridge. Wasn't a problem. Just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

image-4208851951.jpg

image-148240124.jpg

image-1053998918.jpg

Darrin

11. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Afflicted

Great Job. The first multi-scale I did I also used a nut. I was really unhappy with it. On my second one I used the zero fret with a perpendicular nut as a string guide. The guitar is sooo much easier to play barre chords on the first fret.

12. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice!

How is palm muting on that angle?

13. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

This came out very nice. I like that heel transition!

14. vuduchild

vuduchild TDPRI Member

I'd like to hear your first impressions on how it is to play a fanned fret, if this is your first time?

It's a beauty to be sure - I'm trying to take in the angle at the bridge - and if after a little practice it would be easier / better for palm muting. Do tell!

15. wadeeinkauf

Single Bridge - Saddle

I use these. They look much better than this picture and only $30.00 a set.
    http://www.rondomusic.com/saddle.html

16. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Do you think we are looking at the future of fret boards?
    If the marketing people can swing a good angle for it, it may become the norm?

Eddie.

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I see what you did there :). My opinion is that multiscales will always remain fringe. I have built a few and I like them, but the extra cost in tooling and reprogramming is not likely going to sway the bigger players to change their game. I think they look cool and work well, but I don't necessarily feel like I have to use them on everything.

18. wadeeinkauf

Future of fret boards?

Eddie,
    That’s an interesting question.
    The multi-scale has advantages in these types of playing as I see it.
    1. Because of the higher string tension on the base strings it is very well suited for alternative tuning of drop D, open G and drop C.
    2. Because of the higher string tension on the base strings it is very well suited for 7+ string guitars.
    3. I am not sure about the science but the greater scale length on the base strings seem to have a richer tone with more character. It is a very noticeable bigger sound. This is great for playing jazz chord melody style. The style where a single guitar plays the melody, chord, and base in the arrangement. My favorite YouTube player on this style www.youtube.com/watch?v=51qVlnvC6Zo

4. For me it is much more ergonomic and also allows me to get chords I cannot get on a single scale. (more room for my fingers on the fret board)
    I don’t see the multi-scale taking off as a viable product unless there is a major well known professional player using one and a major guitar maker produces one. I had never played (or seen one in person) until I make my first.
    Another thing I don't know why every guitar made does not have a zero fret. When you play your first one I think you will understand why I say this. One of the hardest things for me to do was adjust the nut correctly, AND it has to be readjusted or worse yet changed out if you change your string gauge.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  19. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

You lost me on the 0-fret thing. Please clarify.

20. wadeeinkauf

Sorry, it was a typo. I DON'T know why all guitars don't have a zero fret since in my opinion it is a much better solution. I have read that in the 70's some very poor quality guitars made in Japan had a zero fret and because of the overall poor quality the perception was that a zero fret was poor quality.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.