1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi scale thoughts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by gangreen, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I see what you did there :). Come on, start another one, you know you want to (says the guy who just finished the first of 6 concurrent builds...)

As far as pitfalls, I would say to remember that hammering frets is going to be about the only way to go to get them seated nicely, and a zero fret makes life SO MUCH easier when it comes to the nut. On my just finished build, I used a standard nut straight across behind a zero fret. You just need enough downward force from the string across it to keep from getting some open string howling (a problem on the D&G strings on my strat neck, which will soon be remedied). Other than that, you are probably golden.

2. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

Yup! link is below :D

3. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-1253306662.jpg

Making the neck/body center piece. 2 walnut and 3 mahogany strips 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 48". Drilled holes to keep them aligned at the ends with 16d nails. Glued and clamped excessively to edge of the bench which is dead flat.

4. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Bit of greaseproof paper may of saved you gluing your bench up there mate ;)

I like the subtle colour choice for the laminate.

5. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

No worries. Has several layers of polyurethane on it.

6. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-2272858270.jpg

A rough approximation.

image-4180479984.jpg

Each of the wings has a 1 3/16" back and 9/16" top. Plan to route the cavities and then chamber the remaining solid areas. Will contour the top. Still trying to decide about switches, etc. The wings as you see them are about 1/4" larger than the shape lines (on the bottoms surfaces) show.

7. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-941966025.jpg

Started the control cavity from the back. Used a 3/4" MDF template and bearing bit in handheld router. Went about half way through.

image-2632159936.jpg

Drilled through the rest, flipped it over and took the cavity the rest of the way through with a flush trim bit. This is the top side of the read pieces. Sanded the pieces to close to their final shape. Sitting on the MDF body template.

image-3460145009.jpg

Rough lines for chambering. Have to really concentrate on this so I don't chamber from the rear.

8. KWhatley

KWhatley Tele-Holic

Going to be nice and light by the looks of it.

9. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

I used pretty much the same design for my last neck through mahogany wolf. has good balance.

10. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Tele-Holic

I dont know how i missed this thread. If it was me, I would bump the parallel fret up to 8

11. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

For my own edification, why 8?

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

The parallel fret selection depends on a few factors. It will affect how much angle is needed in both the nut and bridge, and will also affect ergonomics. The tradeoff being that chords are more "normal" when the parallel fret is lower while the upper frets will have a more extreme angle, which could impact playing on those frets, especially solos. With the parallel fret up higher, the higher frets don't slant so much, but lower fretted chords may become difficult. I find that the chording is impacted less to an extent because there is plenty of space for chords with the lower frets, while the reduced spacing of higher frets exacerbates any problems with fret slant. However, as I said earlier, all personal choice. I like the 7 or 8, as it is a great balance.

13. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-994360319.jpg

Wing chambers routed leaving 3/8" on the back and 3/4" around the edges.

image-304652333.jpg

Roughly how they will line up with the center piece.

14. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Decided where I wanted the bridge end of the fretboard to sit on the center piece. Form that point to the nut the lay back is 7mm. Was 15mm on the previous neck through but the fan fret bridge pieces are ~3mm shorter than the Schaller 3D bridge. That was my hard-won figure after spending some quality time with a straight edge and many spacers. Remains to be seen. Cut that wedge with the band saw, cleaned up the surface with a Stanley #7 and flattened with a few light passes over the jointer to have a good surface on which to attach the fretboard.

image-1357501496.jpg

Routed the 1/4" x ~3/8" Chanel for the 18" spoke nut truss rod. Then routed a 1/2" deep channel perpendicular to the long channel for access to the spoke wheel.

image-3906789798.jpg

With the fretboard sitting in place.

15. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

image-444235573.jpg

Going to have a flat head stock parallel with the fretboard. Contemplated a lay back. Maybe next time. Ran the body over the table saw to match the wings' thickness. Then took the neck down to 13/16".

image-2056194589.jpg

I'll carve the heel when it's all glued up.

16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Are you doing a zero fret? I just did one on my most recent multiscale, which also has a flat headstock. It required string trees for the 4 highest strings to get enough downward force over the zero fret, but made making the nut a TON easier (I just used a regular nut with extra deep slots, mounted perpendicular to the neck center line, like normal). I made a nut with appropriately angled slots on my one before and that was a pain to get, but I did come up with a trick to make it less of a pain. But after doing the zero fret, I don't think I'm going back.

17. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Not on this one. I already cut the nut slot. Consider trying that on the next one so I can also lay back of the headstock. I'll be using a string tree for this one. Would you mind sending a picture of your zero fret-nut-tree-headstock?

18. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

I don't have a close up on hand, but here is the full frontal shot. I will see if I can get something more zoomed in if you need.

[​IMG]

19. gangreen

gangreen Tele-Afflicted

Looks nice. Is that a homemade bridge or a heavily modified telecaster bridge?

20. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

Bridge is home made. It's just 6061 aluminum. I wanted to do something a little nicer looking, but it would have looked funny to leave a gap between the front of the bridge and the pickguard.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.