1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi piece neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by alathIN, Nov 25, 2020.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

First attempt making a neck (for my resonator project).

Neck Render Capture.JPG

This neck is basically copied from a StewMac build your own resonator project.

It is three 1" thick pieces of wood laminated together, then the fingerboard is a separate piece. The middle piece extends longer as an "integral neck stick."

My idea was to use cherry for the two outer pieces and maple for the middle - just because I think it would look nice to have the lighter stripe down the middle and I am kind of fanatical about cherry.

I'm wondering if these are good wood choices, and would appreciate any other advice or things to beware of.

This shows where the join lines would go through the peghead.

peghead capture.JPG

Cutting those peghead slots through the join line makes me a little nervous... but I can't decide whether that's a rational concern or not.

(this is a solidworks rendering. The grain pattern is running the wrong way. I won't build the real neck like that)

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

There is absolutely no reason not to do a three piece neck - they are very strong and can be quite beautiful. I used a three piece neck on my tricone because I wanted the wood effects - I had planned on using flamed maple for all the trim so I ran id down the middle with mahogany on the sides.

The only thing that will be at all weird with yours is that you will have the joints running thru the headstock slot, I probably would have made the center piece thinner but I also know you want to carry that on into your neck stick. The outside pieces will get wider as they get closer to the heel and might look funny - you might want to look at that in your rendering. Also, you have shown this as a slot head which probably means you will want to put your truss rod adjuster in the body instead of the head - I did that with the tricone and provided a hole thru the cone well for a long allen wrench to adjust it. You'll also have to decide if you want a head plate or not.

Multiple piece necks are a good way to use wood that is not perfectly quartered - if you cut the outside pieces so the grain is mirrored it will the most stable. And as far as the slots are concerned, I do them on a drill press drilling out most of the waste, then chisels and rasps but a router will do too

A couple of pictures from the tricone

Tricone 5.JPG

Tricone 6.JPG

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

You should be aware that multiple piece joints may move over time due to the different grain directions and densities among the various species. You may end up feeling and seeing the glue joints telegraph through the finish.

Gibson Les Paul Uneven Seams on Body | The Gear Page

Obviously there are a lot of multipiece necks out there... but this way you know in advance that it can happen. I try to minimize my wood joints in all my guitars as I don't have climate controlled conditions to work in. I use quartersawn lumber in my necks and shy away from timbers that have a high dimensional instability.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    crazydave911, alathIN and old wrench like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.