Multi-Instrumentalists

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by klkampman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Guitars: fingerpick, rhythm, slide, lead in standard & multiple drop and open tunings
    Other: Banjo, cavaquinho, keyboards (my first instrument), bass, lead and harmony vocals

As I get older am more interested in bands that allow me to bring a variety of roles & instruments to the songs. As SheldonP calls it being the "utility guy." This is fun. I've done this a few times and would like to do more.

SheldonP and klkampman like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

upright bass, piano, and singin'

oh, and "tres cubano"

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

4. Nubs

Nubs Friend of Leo's

I played clarinet in the school band from 4th to 10th grade (haha I know what a band nerd!) After high school, I was a drummer in a few bands and actually cut a demo with my first band. I uploaded the songs on YouTube and if anyone is interested in having their ears bleed, I can post the links here.

5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a pretty solid bass player (I think rhythm guitarists naturally take to the bass).

I can do a good job on a mandolin if I'm given a little rehearsal time.

I play a little lap steel (as in, I've got to basically relearn the instrument each time I pull it out) but I can usually play well enough to add something to someone else's composition. Not so much at solos.

I'm a calamity on banjo, but that's an instrument I'd love to get better on. I marvel at just "average" banjo players. Amazing instrument, feels like playing 3-D chess.

Tried piano for a while, didn't take to it.

A later post reminded me. I play uke too. Not great, but well enough to entertain myself on vacation.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    klkampman likes this.
  6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

During my early ‘70’s teen years, I played trumpet for a couple of years...practicing a metal instrument in an unheated garage, during Alberta winters, somehow lost its alure? Later that decade, in grade 12, I got a Paul copy, including a square, European guitar teacher, stuck on bookish, uninspiring academics. My buddies had been playing longer & I was frustrated with the scenario, quitting till the early ‘90’s. In the early ‘80’s, I aquired a 7 piece, maple, Slingerland kit, playing for a few years...had fun jamming, but shoulda learned proper rudiments, selling the drums a few years later. All these decades later, I’ve obtained many instruments, including basses, a cheater banjo, mandolin & various percussion items. Without proper focus & practice, my development will stagnate...vocals are what come most naturally

7. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Afflicted

When I first went to NY, they all thought I was a primarily a saxophone player because I had broken my left index finger playing basketball and couldn't bend it at all - you dont really have to bend it much to play sax.

But I (did) play guitar, bass, enough keys to make demos, harmonica (lamely), played drums in a show once where we all started on different instruments and changed during the song (just showing off) :D

On drum machine - I convinced a well known guitar player that the drummer on one of my demos was this new guy I had discovered. He wanted to hire him for his band! We all got a big laugh out of it when I admitted it was me on drum machine (after making up a ridiculous name for the "guy" - which was a semi-obvious variation on my own name). :lol:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've played bass before with good success, and for a while I made a gallant effort to play keys, and actually played some on gigs.

9. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Guitar is my primary instrument but I also gig on Lap Steel and Square neck Resonator. I also play Uke, Mandolin and piano. I teach all of them

JuneauMike likes this.
  10. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I need to add that my keyboard playing days are long gone. I picked up keys in my early 20's when I decided to try a year of music in college. I kept it up for a number of years, but it didn't take much time laying off (when my son was born) until my skills were toast.

11. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

Mainly I play guitar but I’m pretty sound on bass, I can get by on keyboards (chords / vamp-ish stuff) and drums (but I don’t have the stamina to play a full set!) — and I’m learning lap steel, with my ambition being or have steel parts for 2-3 songs in our set within the next few months. I’ve already done some simple Blues-box slide playing on a couple of songs in our last gig.

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Bass, Violin, Little bit of Harmonica, Occasionally I dabble on a DAW.

13. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

I play Bass, Harmonica, and Keyboards adequately. I really enjoy playing Scruggs-style 5-string banjo, but only a slow-motion version compared to the real banjo guys who are all just wicked fast.

14. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Voice, Guitar, Bass, keys, in that order. Dabble on a few others.

15. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

I also play uke.

16. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

My primary instrument is drums, and is where I spend a good part of my band time. It's always hardest to find a competent drummer, while there's plenty of good guitarists to pick from.

Guitar is a close second. I'm not quite as good, but still improving. I'll play rhythm on both electric and acoustic, help write songs, muddle through some slide, and lay down accompanying tracks in the home studio for demos. I also thoroughly enjoy getting to switch to guitar when we can find a drummer willing to sit in for a jam/practice session or even the occasional gig. Lets me put my home built amps to the test too, which is great.

I've got a Dobro somewhere in my music room, but frankly don't get much time on it. It's usually an hour here and there of "hey, haven't played that in a while. Yup, still not very good at it."

17. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Guitar, bass, mandolin family, fiddle, dulcimer, banjo, keys.

18. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

Mandolin, various slidey guitars, bass on occasion, working on old-timey banjo.

D.H.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm a singer who wants to be a really good guitar player. I keep working at it.

I play piano (keys) and I can drum. I had two years of theory in college (sitting behind a keyboard) and drumming and bass come from hanging out with musicians for 4 decades. I'm getting old.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Besides guitar, I sing, play bass, lap steel, mandolin, tenor banjo, misc. percussion and musical saw. A little right handed keyboards, but not enough to play in a band.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.