1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi effects unit that can be used the same as individual pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Craig Williams, Jan 26, 2021.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used a Boss ME-50 for years with a muff and tube screamer. Worked great, always manual mode. I actually prefer it to the ME-70 I tried for a few months last year.

I was going to suggest the Boss MS-3 but it’s a bit more involved. It’s strength is presets but manual mode would cover you just fine as well.

2. kilroy6262

kilroy6262 TDPRI Member

I use an ME-70 I got several years ago. Four pedals, just like you asked for, plus a rocker pedal that doubles as a volume pedal and a Wah (plus other features I never use). It is programmable too, and it's not hard to do. My cover band does a Pink Floyd medley and the ME70 makes it really easy to switch between very different sounds with a tap of the foot (Have a Cigar >>In the Flesh >>Run Like Hell). The downside is that some of the effects aren't of a quality equal to what you'd get out of a dedicated unit IMHO. The phaser and flanger are mediocre at best, but surprisingly the Uni-vibe sounds great. The delay effects work really well.

3. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

I'm not much of a "pedal player". Although I've collected numerous pedals that I like over the decades. I think the idea is to have a good controller like a gigrig to initiate bank changes. I have a G2, the only complaint is it doesn't have an extension to remote the pedals from the board and it does slightly "color" the tone.

4. phaedrus

phaedrus Tele-Meister

One more vote for the Boss ME70 or other variants.

I had one for several years, it's a great pedal. Does exactly what you are asking for.

Kinda sorry I sold it.

5. dezmoduo

dezmoduo Tele-Meister

I'm in the "ME" camp. I started with an ME50 and wore out the volume/expression pot. Replaced that pot and I keep it as a home unit after buying the ME80.

Stomp box style in an easy to use/setup stage rig. The ME80 line out is very usable. as well.

Dez
    NYC

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Do you notice any difference in sound quality and feel/dynamics between the two?

7. gkmacdonald

gkmacdonald TDPRI Member

I had an ME80 and it worked well and didn't break the bank. But the new Line6 products are much better in my opinion.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to try some of the new ones. I’ve heard good things.

The last thing I tried personally was an M5, and I couldn’t return it fast enough. My brother has the flagship Helix model and swears by it. But he lives over a thousand miles away so I haven’t gotten to play with it.

northernguitar likes this.
  9. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

Me too. And, if you want to use presets, the GT-10 switches between banks (four patches per bank, each of which can include any or all categories of effects or models) with just the click of a footswitch. It's a couple generations old now so even though it's a pretty powerful unit they're not that expensive on the used market.

I realize the OP already got his MP20, but other people will no doubt read this thread looking for info on this topic.

tonyp145 and GreatDaneRock like this.
  10. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

My band-mate has an ME-80, and I think it mostly sounds pretty terrible. But that may be user error. The base tones on any digital multi-effects box usually need significant tweaking.

I have the Line 6 Pod Go. It's an impressive piece of kit, but I definitely had to do some tweaking of the different effects to get them where I wanted them to be.
    Anyone who is thinking of the Helix world should look at this option-- more than anyone needs to get the job done, IMO.

11. engine7

engine7 NEW MEMBER!

I’m surprised that nobody has recommended the Boss BE-5.

[​IMG]

It’s from the late 80s. Before multi-effects pedals became more sophisticated, Boss put the guts of six separate pedals into one enclosure, so you get an authentic analogue compressor, DS, OD, digital delay, noise reduction and chorus. There’s send/return and tuner out. It sounds great, and everything is immediately tweakable. No memory, no presets, perfectly old skool.

12. timbgtr

timbgtr TDPRI Member

I'm firmly in the ME-70 camp, but I picked up a Tech 21 Fly Rig which does the basics and is relatively tiny.

dezmoduo likes this.
  13. teleMc

teleMc Tele-Meister

14. teleMc

teleMc Tele-Meister

upload_2021-1-29_21-49-53.png
    These are great...

lupowitz likes this.
  15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

I used a Boss ME-70, and I think (not 100% sure) that you can set it up to only use overdrive OR distortion, but NOT BOTH. They may have fixed this with the ME-80 and later models.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  16. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

I have a little different take that is similar and the reason I buy a certain brand on pedal.

First off I am an old school pedal guy and I like individual pedals. I tried one of the new-fangled BOSS RV-500 reverbs, paid all the big bucks for one pedal and was severely disappointed and medium range pissed. I watched a whole bunch of YouTUbe videos that all do spectacular jobs at convincing you there are (somehow) great sounds inside the thing. I bought it online... was all excited to get it... unboxed it like a kid at Christmas tearing into his new G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip... Plugged it in... went through all 12 factory presets and... (Price is Right you lost music) "wum pump boo bummmm" -- Every factory preset was crap and the one thing I could have used, the shimmer reverb, was so out of control and useless it was ridiculous.

The ONLY way to get a decent sound out of the over-priced boat anchor was to peel your reading glasses out of their case, put on a pot of coffee (or two or three) and dive in to the "War and Peace" sized manual.

Not my cup of tea (or Folger's) at all... I boxed it up and very quickly took it to the local store and sold it for wholesale. P....U....

Then I was reading about how the Source Audio One Series pedals were very "user friendly" right out of the box. I like friendly, I hate too damned techno related its a waste of money... I've been playing electric guitar since 1975. I wasn't born in the generation where a smart phone was attached to my head in the birth canal, and I didn't get my first laptop or tablet computer at age 2... I'm used to buying a pedal, it has between 2-4 or 5 knobs on it, you plug it in and you start getting great sounds out of the second you wang the strings. I don't know at what point pedals and effects got so damned complicated and over-engineered (king of the crap IMHO would be the Line 6 Helix-anything, so NOT ME). Every 6 months to 2 years Line 6 comes out with some new "OH MY GOD, YOU JUST GOTTA HAVE IT" product, which they soon out-date after a very short life cycle. I don't like their business practices this way, and I pretty much boycott their stuff much like I boycott all Peavey-anything for a different reason.

Enter Source Audio's One Series...
    https://www.sourceaudio.net/products-one-series.html

Looking at them from the outside they just look like a stompbox. I can deal with "normal" stompboxes. A switch on the front for on and off, a few buttons to tweak, "wah-lah" you have fun. The first one I bought was their Nemesis Delay. I was going by the multiple articals I had read about them being "user friendly" and I found one in the used market. So like a hungry bluegill fish I bit the worm...

Yum... tasty

IMMEDIATELY after plugging it in and hitting the switch to turn the effect on it produced toneful, use-able heavenly tones... EVERY preset inside was gorgeous and use-able without having to first become a rocket scientist to get the goods.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And... if you want to go deep with a One Series pedal, they have a free desktop "Neuro Editor" that is also (wait for it...) EASY TO USE !!! And... if you buy ONE of their One Series pedals and use the editor you have multiple effects in the same pedal. Plus... the interface GUI of their editor actually makes sense. It is very much like the view of a DAW plugin where you grab the knob with your mouse, move the knob up or down, then release.

For example (as far as the "multi" part goes... The Source Audio (One Series) L.A. Lady Overdrive has people-friendly knobs on the front... and once you plug in via USB to your computer and use the Neuro editor, it has FIFTY MORE algorithms inside you can use. Distortion, fuzz, overdrive, preamps and more.

Each of their One Series pedals has multiple algorithms available with the Neuro editor. Plus each pedal has either 4 or 8 presets where you can save the algorithms. Instead of needing to buy the phaser, the flanger and the chorus, using the Neuro editor all of the modulation algorithms are available to just one pedal. All of their One Series pedals are MIDI capable, so that allows you 128 presets inside each pedals. You can store the presets you love, or you can create entire scenes of multiple effects (like distortion, phase and elay and reverb) all at the same time, and can call them up via a MIDI foot controller.

If you want to see all the available SA One Series algorithms, you can download the Neuro editor, install it, and it will run whether you have pedals connected to it or not... then do this with the program open:

(Toolbar at top) >> "View" >> (Hover over) "Show Offilne Device Editor" >> A list comes up of all their One Series pedals, chose one and the GUI for it will open >> Click on the drop-down arrow and a menu of all of the available algorithms pops up.

Very easy...

I couldn't get the entire screen into a screen print, but here is the GUI for the L.A. Lady Overdrive (looks much like a DAW plugin)
    L.A. Lady.jpg

Here is a screen print of the GUI for the Nemesis Delay that is in the Neuro editor (I would have had to scroll down and take multiple screen prints to show the whole thing)... but you get the idea anyways...
    Nemesis Delay.jpg

IMHO this is way more useful than having to sit on your buttcheeks and pillage through a Line 6 manual fo days just to get one sound. At least that is what I'd have to do. Maybe you were born with a cell phone attached to your head and came up through the techno generation... I did not. And Source Audio makes the pedals "for the rest of us."

I need multiple effects as I play for my church and we do (what I would call) "cover music" of the popular Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) of the day. Each week we learn 3-4 new songs and they would like to have them "just like the CD". The church I go ot is (well) HUGE. (They roll in 18,000 attendees over several services) and we have a large roll call of musicians who volunteer each week. I am one of 25 other guitarists that rotate in week to week. They have a similar number of auditioned and approved bass players, drummers, keyboard folks and singers. The band is never the same people any given week. Add to that we have something like 200 singers in out choir (when they use a choir) and an orchestra pit where they (on special events) hire local horn and string players from the local Musician's Union.

This is how we roll >>
    1) We get notice that we are up for a service in a couple weeks
    2) The music director uses a web site called "Planning Center" to give us the songs we will need to learn, we get the songs on a Thursday.
    3) We have all the next weekend and the next week to learn our parts at home.
    4) There are no rehearsals
    5) We meet in the Green Room back stage Sunday morning at about 6:30am and meet the fellow musicians we will be playing with that morning.
    6) We play through the set of songs and the singers who are also meeting for the first time work out their harmonies
    7) We go out on stage and do a sound check. The sound engineer tweaks us all in and sets levels, etc...
    8) We play through the set one time at full volume
    9) We go back to the green room and wait for the service, when the second hand passes the "12" we are back on stage and the service starts and we do the songs (from memory, no music stands).

So doing this form of CCM cover music every week I need every type of effect pedal on hand, but I don't necessarily need every type of effect on every song.

Next week I am upgrading my entire board with all Source Audio pedals. I am pretty much buying one of everything they make except for the C4 Synth... I don't have a need for that.

I make my own scale model mock-ups using Microsoft Excel and this will be my board once the shipment of new SA One Series pedals comes in.
    Pedalboard 1-30-21 (proposed scale model).jpg

Off to the sdie I also have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah (if I need it that week) and a BOSS FV500-H volume pedal for swells, etc...

The MIDI controller I have on there is a Disaster Area DPC-5 Gen 2... it is both a MIDI controller and a send/return looper. Its a very small footprint with a lot of functionality...
    Disaster Area - DPC-5 - Gen 3 - 01.jpg Disaster Area - DPC-5 - Gen 3 - 03.jpg
    I also don't use any guitar amp on stage or back stage. Instead I have a GFI System Cabzeus speaker/mic placement simulator and direct box. I also have a Strymon Zuma power supply. The Cabzeus and the Zuma are mounted to the underside of my pedal board with Velcro. I am also ordering the Neuro Hub pedal that connects the smaller sized One Series pedals to the MIDI controller, that will be Velcroed to the underside of the pedalboard as well. Here is a view of the underside of my board with the Zuma and Cabzeus attached...
    Pedalboard 3-14-20 - 02 back.JPG

The Cabzeus is a pretty much set-it-and-forget-it device so no need for it to be on the front of the board. I am also considering putting my Diamond CPR-1 Compressor on the underside as I leave it on all the time.

So... as far as a "multi effects unit that operates like a stomp box"... this is my answer. Source Audio One Series effects which out of the box are very understandable and useful... which become amazingly full-featured effects using the free SA Neuro editor.

This actually took longer to explain than I first imagined, but maybe someone else will benefit or add to this idea.

Back in the 1980s I saw the arrival of some of the first rack mount multi-effects units. Even back then in my 20s I thought they were too complicated and then most sounded like a plastic computer chip. They had one rack space multi effects then some companies came out with a 2 rack space preamp and effects al;l-in-one... I have never liked the all-in-one idea. 2 of the guys at my church have the Line 6 Helix boards and I will admit they have great sounds in them. Both guys also complain about how long it takes to set up one patch for one song. -- Homie don't play dat...

Is all a big money thing. Now there are companies who sell patches or specific CCM songs, etc, etc... In some ways its cool, but in a couple years all this Helix stuf will be out-dated and Line 6 will be pumping the market for the next "OH MY GOD YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE IT" device. Like just a few years back the M13 mostrosity of a board was "ALL THE RAGE"... it was suppose to be their newest latest greatest version of the best possible thjing on Earth... blah... My take on it is and was it was too big and clumbsy. But its all part of the money making Line 6 evolutionary process which will not stop, even with the Helix system. Mark my words, Helix will be yesterday's news in a couple years, Line 6 will be billionaires, and they will be force-feeding the next generation of whatever computerized doo-dad they want to market.

Minus all the super-complicated (to me) mumbo jumbo of the Line 6 stuff (and other brand such as BOSS, etc, etc), I'm going with the Source Audio One Series that are easier to use and as deep in algorithm use as a I need.

17. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I got tired of bring the enormoboard to my jamspot (bass players basement). I wanted a simple, second board I could just leave there. I scored a Zoom G3 for $60 and had a TS-style OD and a Nano Big Muff! The drive pedals go in front of my Orange.
    The Zoom G3 is patched into the FX loop and is only setup for modulation fx. It works great! The effects on their own dont colour the tone much, and in the band mix, I can’t tell a difference. However, psychologically, I don’t think these fx match up to my beloved analog DOD Chorus, EHX flanger and Ibanez Delay pedals.

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

GearGeek, for a guy who likes to keep it simple your rig sure is complicated!

I’m not a Line 6 fan boy at all but I think adjusting the Pod Go by usb plug in to laptop app is just as intuitive as what you described.

Rock on, whatever works is what works.

19. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Glad that I read through (mostly).
    OP stated that that his used ME-20 was doing the trick for him and now I'm intrigued because this is a piece of gear, or actually a line of gear, that I was unaware of.
    I will be researching these products; I been stuck in limbo too long.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Grab a used Line 6 M9. You see lots of them on pro boards to this day. Tom Bukovac, David Grissom, others.

The drives in it aren't very good. I don't use them, so you'll want to have a couple of your favorite dirt boxes on the pedalboard. But the M9 is super handy for delays, reverbs, modulations, EQ, and even some of the filters are decent.

I've had one since they came out and I still use it all the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.