1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi effects unit that can be used the same as individual pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Craig Williams, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Not sure how similar they are but not terribly fussed on the Vox drive sounds, at all to be honest. I did use one for a few years but only used basic delay and Chorus so did the job. I want to do something a little more diverse now and the little one wont cut it. Though for what they are they're very good. They're made by Korg right? or its Korgs technology. Vox own Korg I think. I like the way they work and easy to use once you get going, but one of the issues they do get a bit noisey, and it's electrical noise coming from inside the machine.

On another note, always had a problem trying to boost volume using these sort of pedals. For eg my first preset a clean tone with a little delay. For lead to boost volume without adding distortion or gain. Then copy it to an adjacent patch.

Something I never really thought about before, is in the 3 band EQ section that most of these units have...EQ set at flat
    (12 oclock), should keep your out put the same as input. If I simply boost Highs, mids and lows on the EQ is that going to give me an overall volume boost without effecting tone too much? I read somewhere today EQ is nothing more than volume boost / cut.
    is that right?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

There is a noise reduction feature on the EX and it works great. Go read the manual, it might make you change your mind.
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/550759/Vox-Tonelab-Ex.html

As for EQ settings. I was always under the impression that all you can do with EQ is substract. Meaning when all knobs are at 10, that is your amps native EQ. I was confirmed that the Katana series are like that. Dunno about others. Makes sense to me.

3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Had a Vox Tonelab EX and sold it. It didn't sound very good and Vox has discontinued it. I now own a Boss ME-80 and it is perfect for me. It would meet all the needs that OP mentioned. I run the stereo outs of the ME80 to two Fender SuperChamp XD combos. It sounds huge and glorious.

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I had an ME20 about a thousand years ago. I don’t remember if it will do what you’re asking. I got rid of it for two reasons- first, the drives sounded cheesy as hell. Really fake. Second- what I call “speed bumps”. The patch changes weren’t smooth. Very abrupt. Like a hiccup going from one sound to another.

I used to set up the banks of three pedals as a clean rhythm, a dirty rhythm, and a lead patch.

I’m using the ME80 and the Nova System now. The drives on both sound great. The Nova has a dedicated clean boost. The ME80 has several pedals that can be set up as a clean or solo boost. Including an independent eq section.

See what you can do with the ME20. If it doesn’t work for you, I’m sure there are Boss dealers that ship to Thailand. It can’t be that hard to get the 80.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

Take a look at the Line 6 M9 and M13. I think they’d do what you want.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I got a Line 6 Pod Go. It is about as intuitive as anything could possibly be that has this many features and flexibility. You can run it in preset mode or stompbox mode. It is very easy to tweak and program.

I created a number of presets that include amp and cab/IR simulation for when I want to go into a DAW, headphones, or PA. Each of these presets is easily switchable to stompbox mode so then I can turn on and off the individual effects just like an old school pedalboard.

But I also then made basically the same presets in another bank of presets that have the amp/cab/IR removed for when I want to go into a guitar amp. Again, very simple. And once I have selected a preset then I generally put it into stompbox mode.

I think that the cabs provided by Line 6 were kind of meh. I downloaded a single IR from Worship Tutorials.com, and that dramatically improved the tone to my ears. I have been perfectly happy using that single IR for all the presets I created that use amp/cab/IR simulations.

BorderRadio likes this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I doubt you’ll see drives added in the future as there is no way they will even please 2% of their users. They included a “loop” insert that you can assign to any part of the chain within the pedal. You simply add your fave drives. The thing is tiny, so its possible to make a very small yet powerful board.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  9. MilwMark

For me the point is to be the board.

It works brilliantly for that for me. Crunch from the amp/guitar volume knob. Use the Plethora Mid boost comp for leads. One PS. No patch cables. Done!

10. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

Digital Larry likes this.
  11. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Holic

I'll add my vote for Boss ME-50 and ME-80. Direct and simple to use in individual switching mode or memory mode, sound good.

I also own an ME-20 that I use for overdrive and phaser on my Rhodes piano. It's not in the same class as ME-50 and ME-80, IMO.

BorderRadio likes this.
  12. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

I use a Boss GT-10 the same way you do. Amp sims off, never even experimented with them.

Vermoulian likes this.
  13. MilwMark

How do you compare the 50 and 80 for sound/feel quality?

I was quite happy with the sound and feel of the 80. It’s just bigger and more than I needed. The 50 would be perfect. But I’ve never seen one in a local shop to try out.

14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Boss ME-70. But only one effect can be assigned to each of the 4 pedals in manual mode at any given time.

timbgtr likes this.
  15. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

I bought an old Digitech RP500 for $50 some years ago, and it works great for what you want. I don't think I'm using it as effectively as I could, but I set it up like you want. 5 buttons - compressor, delay, drive/distortion, modulation, reverb.

I use the software to modify a preset to include the 5 effects I want and how I want them to sound, and basically have 5 presets arranged next to each other with different modulation effects on each one, but everything else the same. Easy to switch between the presets for 5 different stompbox setups. It has hundreds of stompbox and effect emulations to choose from, and most classics are included. They mostly sound very good, especially if you tweak them in the software. Tuner, bypass, and tap tempo buttons always accessible. Lots more power and features available that I don't use, like amp and cab sims, and a looper.

It's a discontinued unit, so there's that, but the software still works on my Mac, and it is possible to do all adjustments without the software if necessary. Sturdy build and cheap. There's also the RP1000 - same deal, just more. 2 rows of buttons.

grguitar likes this.
  16. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Line 6 HX Effects. Turn up to 6 effects on and off as needed. A lot more under the hood once you get familiar with it.

Fluddman likes this.
  17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I picked up a Zoom G1on for $30 on craigslist. Have not gigged it yet, but it is beer-proof and full of features.

Lashdog likes this.
  18. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Holic

I don't think I can answer well. I only have a rough perception because I used the ME-50 as a beginning guitar player. I sold it before I got the ME-80. I wish I had kept it. The ME-80 is a better unit with more effects. Most of the effects in the ME-50 probably match up to the ME-80. But I'm not sure about the overdrive/distortion of ME-50 as compared to the overdrive/distortion plus preamp section of the ME-80.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I received the ME-20 today. Perfect little unit for what I need. The effects are exactly the same as Boss pedals. I have a Super Reverb so no need for modelling. Still can't get the distortion I want (not for a single coil guitar anyway) but I don't really think it exists in a pedal. The best lead overdrive I ever had was an overdrive in combination with a TS9 double stacked into a Super reverb. I think the Strat lead / boost sound I have been looking for lies in the compressor. No overtones or chunk, just singing sustain with a volume boost. Very solid basic useable unit for under $50. Very happy

MilwMark likes this.
  20. Malc Brown

Malc Brown NEW MEMBER!

I treated myself to a Hotone Fx stomp pedal several years ago and it works via Bluetooth to whatever pedal you need and sometimes 2 pedals . It’s got so many choices of effects. It’s my indispensable pedal . It emulates everything you could wish for.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.