1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Multi effects unit that can be used the same as individual pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Craig Williams, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I am after a multi effects unit that to put it simply would emulate having a bank of old school Boss pedals. Something simple with at least 4 foot switches. Expression pedal not needed. I would rather have a unit where I just on/off an effect with a footswitch rather than set banks and presets. I realize you can use a preset and turn things off (Amps, Cabs etc) but you always seem to lose something of the natural tone of your amp using these things. I would prefer this set up to multiple pedals, connections etc

Mainly use Delay, Chorus, Overdrive, Distortion (TS9?)

I do not need cabinet or amp modelling or emulation. I have a little Vox Stomplab now and it's just not really doing what I want.

The Boss ME style pedals seem to look ok with multiple footswitches but don't know much about them. Happy to use older technology too if simpler and sturdier. Any advice appreciated.

DeepDangler likes this.
  2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

These are fine.

Gingerdin, zencat, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  3. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Not sure what your budget is, but people love the Line 6 HX Effects. Tons of well-known stomp box emulations, but none of the amp sims.

Gingerdin, gkmacdonald and dr_tom like this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

You need an ME80. It’s a little more than you need, but the manual mode works exactly as you want, and it sounds like boss pedals. The expression pedal defaults as a volume pedal. Handy.

It doesn’t get much simpler. You just set each switch like a regular pedal. It’s got knobs for each one. I use mine all the time. Both as a headphone amp, and for gigging and rehearsing. Just make sure you read the manual and turn off the noise gate. It changes the way the unit sounds and responds pretty dramatically. Or just hit me up if you get one and I’ll tell you how to turn it off.

The other one I have that works awesome in manual mode is the TC Electronic Nova System. I love it. But it’s not nearly as simple to dial in and run.

Anacharsis, dezmoduo, zencat and 10 others like this.
  5. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Holic

An ME-70 would probably do the trick if the 80 is a bit too much.

timbgtr and SheldonP like this.
  6. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

And it allows to have effects before the amp and in the amp’s effects loop simultaneously. Great emulations. Expensive, but cheaper than buying the effects emulated.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The Boss ME50,70 and 80 all work beautifully.
    The 70 and 80 have loopers.
    I’ve owned all three.
    The sound great, and are intuitive to use.
    I generally don’t program them, but you can if you want.
    I used all three as if they were individual stomp boxes.
    You can find em’ used on CL and in pawn shops.
    I have paid as little as $75 for a ME50.
    My first one was acquired in 2003, and I used it for 10 years with no trouble at all.
    All three run on batteries, or AC adapters.
    What’s not to like, IMO?

timbgtr, Ron R, SheldonP and 3 others like this.
  8. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Afflicted

Nux Cerebus
    IMG_20200829_133755 1.jpg

Stencil, hotraman and richiek65 like this.
  9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

this is all any one would need.......

eventide-h9-max-227984.jpg

JuneauMike and Spooky88 like this.
  10. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

Most of em can do it, these days.
    Obvious answer is any of the Helix range, but I've got a ten year old Zoom G5 here that can, too... as well as my new Helix.
    I could even set up my 30 year old rack set up to work like that...
    IIRC, even my first multifx from the late 80s, Zoom 2020, could operate that way.

11. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmmm....
    They just dropped the price of the boss me 80 here in Germany. That looks like an interesting pedal.

leonard d rock and Jakedog like this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Boss ME would be obvious choice, I use a Boss GT100 with the amps sims off and in manual pedalboard mode. But the amp sims do their own thing tone wise too.

13. Craig Williams

Well I bit the bullet and happened upon an ME 20, older entry level ME unit but should do the job for me. Essentially only using it as a stomp box but as there are only three pedals, and realistically 4 would have been better, interested in looking at the patches. Anyone familiar with them. I am sure there may have been better choices but I am living in remote Thailand and you beed to make do with what you can get. Couple of specific questions I have....

Firstly it looks like there are 30 patches available, but in groups of three which seems weird to me. Unless I am missing something? So you are still limited to 3 quickly changeable patches which.... seems the same as being limited to 3 stomp boxes. So to change banks you either have to use your finger on the select button or hold the OD pedal for 2 seconds then change up or down with the corresponding pedal. Seems like a lot of time to select number 4 patch on the fly from say your number 1 patch? Am I missing something here? Seems like it would have been better to have 3 banks of 10 patches rather than 10 banks of 3 patches.

Can you set the EQ per patch or only globally for all effects / patches? For example could I make 1) a clean patch with delay store it, then boost EQ's and copy it to patch 2) for volume boost. Ie same effects as patch 1 but louder.

Are the effects on these decent? Similar to the effects you would get with individual pedals? Seems to me these things have become over processed over the years, to my ears anyway....I am just after very basic effects that enhance the amp, not detract from it. not trying clone or model

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

15. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I just ordered a me 80. just because of this thread. I will run it in stereo for sologigs in a hopefully not so distant future.

Jakedog likes this.
  16. Craig Williams

17. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

Back in 2019 I got a little Mooer Red Truck for a backup.
    Six effect clones plus tuner, $110 used.

Most of the knobs are tiny but the effect modules sound darned good.

Also has "preset" mode that lets you assign any combination of effects to each footswitch. Not true presets - turns modules on/off but doesn't store knob settings. Still handy.

[​IMG]

kLyon and bettyseldest like this.
  18. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I realise that you have already bought a unit, but.. I have one of these. If I want a relatively simple gig set-up, I set the delay to give me a little slapback, the chorus for the handful of fingerpicked songs we do, and the distortion at a fairly low gain to cover open G riffing. If you like the sound of the effects it is a great unit with a footprint about the size of my phone. The Red Truck in the post above or the Fly Rig might be better. though more expensive, options.

upload_2021-1-26_11-39-48.png

Attached Files:

stormsedge likes this.
  19. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Holic

Learning how a multi effect ticks can be a steep curve to climb. If you've been through it with the Stomplab, why not get a Tonelab EX ? It has exactly what you're looking for. You can turn off the cab sims and the amp choices, and use only whatever effect you need via 4 footswitches.

9y.jpg

AAT65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.