1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mulholland Drive

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by reflected, May 30, 2013.

1. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

Yesterday I watched this movie for the 2nd time and I finally understand it. Well, I think I understand it, I have a theory and the pieces start to fit together. It’s one of the most brilliant movies I’ve ever seen. At the end one just sits there and thinks “What the heck was this movie about?!” It leaves you thinking for days!

I think Diane and Camilla were together, then Camilla run off with the director guy, Diane collapsed and hired a hitman to kill her. When he did, Diane went totally crazy and finally killed herself. The first part of the movie was a dream of hers, or possibly a flashback just before she died, a last glimpse at her life, but in an idealized way. Same characters, different roles.

The blue key is the sign that Camilla has been killed. In her dream it opens a blue box where all her shame and demons are closed ( old couple, man behind Twinkies, etc…)

The theater part tells us that what we think is real isn’t really so, it’s only an illusion (of Diane’s )

Then in the end the lady with blue hair says “Silencio” = death. The only thing that could shut Diane’s demons up and bring her peace.

I’m curious, what are your interpretations?

2. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen it a couple of times. The first time I realized a certain something later on in the movie...(don't want ot give it away for those who haven't seen it yet) I was really creeped out. I mean really creeped out.

That said, well...it was an ok movie. Lots of stuff going on to keep the mind thinking a bit.

3. reflected

reflected Tele-Meister

Oh please tell me, what is that you realized? Just say *SPOILER ALERT* or something :D

4. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

gave up trying to decypher Lynch, just think he's a great surrealist

5. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

That's pretty good. Could you explain some Herzog movies to me, while you're at it?

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

The secret to that movie ?

Naomi Watts.

Everything else is superfluous.

Lot of character/scene motifs from old 30's/40's movies also.

Lynch ?

Twin Peaks was the "Emperor's New Clothes" of TV.

But - his guest stint on Louie this past season was beyond funny. I think there were many re-takes cuz Louie busted out laughing (I would have)

7. ' burn 08

' burn 08 Tele-Afflicted

I just watched it the other day as well, for the first time. I'm not going to pretend that I "get it." But I was able to follow most of it. After they put the key in the box it took me a second to realize what was going on. But there were some things here and there that seemed sort of random that I might have to go back and watch it again to see if they make more sense now.

8. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Trying to find larger meaning in that movie is like digging through dirty laundry looking for the emperor's new clothes.

(Going back, I see someone has already mentioned the emperor's new clothes. If the suit fits...)

9. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Definitely one of my favorites, I have spent many hours pondering its meaning and trying to assemble the pieces in my head. I have come to the conclusion for sanity's sake that it is something to be appreciated as a gorgeous work of art and not a jigsaw puzzle. Laura Herring is so beautiful in this film it hurts.

10. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

If it weren't for the hot chicks, the movie would suck IMO.

The producer/writer is known for these kind of movies...in other words...stupid movies that sucker you in thinking there is a real message behind the plot when, in essence, there is none (other than to get you to watch the stooopid movie)

I watched it years ago, and...when the little people came out of the box...it lost all meaning of being anything other than a science fiction flop. (note: there isn't a such thing as little people who fit in a box)

Too bad it couldn't of stayed real to the end...it could have been a great movie.

11. Hi-Fi Jim

Hi-Fi Jim Tele-Meister

Cowboy: "Well, just stop for a little second and think about it. Would ya do that for me?"

Adam Kesher: "Okay, I'm thinking"

Cowboy: "No you're not thinkin'. You're too busy being a smart aleck to be thinkin'. Now I want ya to think and quit bein' a smart aleck. Can ya try that for me?"

12. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

I find it an interesting experience. It wasn't supposed to be a movie. He was shooting the pilot for his next TV show and then the deal went bust. So he arranged the footage into a movie. But there wasn't a written ending - so he just kind of cobbled things together.

To me it is a cool sort of psychological projective test. People project their own meaning onto the film. They create meaning out of ambiguity.

13. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I don't agree. Mulholland Dr is one of Lynch's few films with a straight forward idea behind it IMO. Once you realise what's going on every scene makes sense within this idea.

Mulholland Dr is possibly my favourite Lynch film. There are so many great scenes.

I highly recommend Lost Highway and Blue Velvet, too.

14. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I'm not saying anything else. :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.