Muddy neck pickup

DoubleTall

TDPRI Member
Hey, all. I picked up an Indio Classic (Tele) for less than nothing in a trade, and I'm fixing it up for a buddy. It seems pretty good, but the neck pickup is a bit muddy. I don't want to swap pickups, so three questions:

1. Has anyone tried putting a .047 cap inline with the pickup output like Seymour Duncan recommends on their site?

2. Does the cap value on a tone pot affect the tone when the pot is wide open, or just when it's turned down?

3. Could changing the tone pot from a dime-sized one to a full-sized one have any impact? Pretty sure the answer's no there, but I've never tried it.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
2. Does the cap value on a tone pot affect the tone when the pot is wide open, or just when it's turned down?
Minimally, but some. Bypass tone pot temporarily and see if it helps enough.

Realistically, Tele neck pups are muddy, or at least "warm and compressed, with a hint of spark at the top" just the nature of the beast. A Strat pup there will be very different.

DoubleTall

TDPRI Member
Additional info: I have a Squier CV50s Tele that I can plug into a Blues Junior and get three different but usable tones, and I generally play on the neck pickup. When I plug in the Indio, the B and B+N tones are good, but the neck by itself has the blanket over the amp sound. Just wondering if there's a cap- or pot-based solution.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You could try increasing your pickup height to bring it a little nearer the strings (or even a little further away)

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Hey, all. I picked up an Indio Classic (Tele) for less than nothing in a trade, and I'm fixing it up for a buddy. It seems pretty good, but the neck pickup is a bit muddy. I don't want to swap pickups, so three questions:

1. Has anyone tried putting a .047 cap inline with the pickup output like Seymour Duncan recommends on their site?
That will cut some bass but won't boost treble.
Maybe a little, depends. A 250k pot will cut more than a 500k.
3. Could changing the tone pot from a dime-sized one to a full-sized one have any impact? Pretty sure the answer's no there, but I've never tried it.
The pot's value makes the difference, not its diameter. Again, 500k vs 250k.
Some Tele neck p'ups are muddy, some are very shiny. Some are muddy because of the cover but I don't recommend trying to remove it without some experience.

gb Custom Shop

Tele-Meister
The cover on the tele neck pickup can have quite an impact. Not all covers are made equally, and the alloy itself can have an impact.

You can try different pot/cap values and pickup height, but also consider trying an open cover for the neck pickup. That alone can do wonders!

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Did you try Ask Zac's setup procedure? He has videos on Youtube. Neck p/u strategy is to optimize treble side for cut, and lower the bass side to match E to e volume. That removes exactly as much mud as you want.
If you have hidden Neck p/u adj screws, just remove your pickguard for a week while you get things dialed in around the house.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
You could try removing the neck pickup from the tone control.
1655517128176.png

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire