MT-2 DIY "Waza" mod with switch and two LEDs - help requested

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
I realize the MT-2 is probably not the most common pedal around here, but I think this is just general electronics stuff and I've found the people on this forum helpful so I figured I'd ask.

It's possible to significantly change, and some would say improve, the sound of this pedal by removing the C35 capacitor. This gentleman has posted an easy-to-follow tutorial on rigging a switch to go between stock and modded, and I want to do almost the same thing. Relevant bits start at 1:40 ish, but he's just wiring a switch to the resistor and mounting it to the chassis.

He puts his switch near the top right of the pedal. I'd like to diverge slightly as follows:
Replace the LED with the switch, so it's centered
Add LEDs on either side of the switch, one above the Level knob and one above the Dist (gain) knob. I plan to keep the original for the stock tone and add one for the modded tone. Switch = modded, blue LED; switch = stock, red LED.

I have very little idea of how to do it. I think I'd need an DPST (one pole for the LEDs, one pole for the C35 bypass) switch, and of course I'd need a second LED. Possibly two new LEDs if I can't make the stock LED fit in the new hole, and I guess some sort of LED holder?

Schematic attached that I found on the web.

Anyone want to try to walk me through this?

Edit: corrected mod description terms, thanks tubejockey

Attachments

• Boss-MT-2-Metal-Zone-Schematic.pdf
    383.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

tubejockey

Tele-Holic
First, C35 is not a resistor, it's a capacitor. Second, the mod does not bypass it, the mod opens or removes it. I would probably just lift the cap out of the board then reinstall it with one leg bent up. Solder a wire from the leg to the switch, and another wire from the opposite pad to the switch. Put a drop of hot glue on the cap to secure it.
If you want to get tricky with the LED, you could use a bicolor LED or use a switch with an LED in the tip.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
First, C35 is not a resistor, it's a capacitor. Second, the mod does not bypass it, the mod opens or removes it. I would probably just lift the cap out of the board then reinstall it with one leg bent up. Solder a wire from the leg to the switch, and another wire from the opposite pad to the switch. Put a drop of hot glue on the cap to secure it.
If you want to get tricky with the LED, you could use a bicolor LED or use a switch with an LED in the tip.
Thanks, edited. Yeah, he had completely removed the capacitor in a prior video but got requests to make it switchable, so the video shows a different starting point then I'll have.

How would one wire a bicolor LED with this setup?

guitar_paul1

Tele-Afflicted

I thought you wanted to control 2 leds, that's all. One side gives hot to either led and one side shorts or doesn't short the C35.

Interesting circuit there in the MT2. We didn't spend much time on "gyrators" in school (and that was like 30+ years ago). I didn't even recognize the circuit until I did some digging.