1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mr. Jeff "Skunk" Baxter with Steely Dan

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doctorunderhill, May 23, 2020.

1. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

Have no idea. The evidence that MK used an OS is thin. I don't think that I've heard him state so directly. Who knows??? I do know JB is a fan of that effect because I remember him stating so in a old issue of GP. :cool:

57fenderstrat likes this.
  2. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

You mean,something like this? :)

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Richie Hayward(Little Feat) on drums. RIP Richie, you're still one of my favorites.

Been on a Steely Dan jag for the last few weeks. I bought "Can't Buy A Thrill" thru "Aja" on CD's.

Some wonderful listening there. Takes me back.

Baxter, Dias, Derringer, Carlton, Randall and Becker gave us some great performances.

If I left anyone else out, I apologize.

Stratohacker likes this.
  4. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Yup, 'zactly!:cool:

fnkmstr and lupowitz like this.
  5. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Afflicted

That's one of my favorite videos from the dark ages. Linda Ronstadt had some incredible musicians playing behind her - that's Andrew Gold playing the solo.

Another great Dan guitarist was Jay Graydon. In this video he shows Tim Pierce how to play his solo in Peg.

6. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

Skunk with his acrylic strat...

acrylicguit.jpg

It's gotta weigh about 35 pounds.

7. fnkmstr

fnkmstr Tele-Meister

Was on a Brecker Bros jag last night!

lupowitz likes this.
  8. SnidelyWhiplash

I remember a pic of him holding this very instrument in a 80s copy of the now defunct magazine Guitar For The Practicing Musician. It probably makes a Norlin LP feel like a Danelectro. ;)

fnkmstr likes this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I just thought of something funny (to me): The Skunk Baxter era of Steely Dan sounded more like what the Doobie Brothers were doing, the later version of Steely Dan employed Michael McDonald on backing vocals and some of those songs sounded like the style of later version of the Doobie Brothers.

lupowitz likes this.
  10. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Absolutely, a brilliant solo.
    Also, has been mentioned, My Old School and the pedal steel on Fire in the Hole and Pearl of the Quarter, among many others.
    There's only one Skunk)

11. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Yeah, Denny is great. There's some great playing of his on Katie Lied, too. He's a first class *electric* bebop player, with a great touch.

12. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Holic

Larry Carlton is a great, great musician. But I'm of the mind that his playing is much less interesting than the stuff Baxter and Dias did on the earlier records. They had to work to make something different; Larry was such an accomplished player at the time that he could just play it (anything...). Most good jazz players could play what Larry did, but try to get Joe Pass, for instance to make the sounds of "My Old School?"...
    This is, of course, just opinion (I know, everything here is...)))

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Denny DOES NOT bend strings!

( I learned this observation from our wonderful amp tech buddy- still listening for a bend!)

14. yyr123

yyr123 TDPRI Member

Hey had that solo on Do it again....amazing work

But yes I love me some Baxter

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  15. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I'm not totally sure what parts he played in every song, but I know that after "The Dan" broke up and it became Fagen & Becker + studio players he continued to be involved up through Aja. My theory is that I've heard a TON of great guitar work by Denny Dias for a long, long time.

Not to detract from Jeff Baxter's contributions, I love it a lot, especially the steel. Maybe the steel MORE. I just think Denny contributed... more, somehow, and maybe more foundational to the songs. Call me crazy.

Stratohacker likes this.
  16. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I liked Rick Derringer with Steely Dan, I still wonder what that chord is at 1:26 ...

Stratohacker likes this.
  17. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I like Skunk Baxter with all of his Steely Dan stuff, but I keep thinking of non-Steely Dan stuff that I maybe didn't realize that he played on... (P.S. the coiled cord is what gave him such great tone.. )

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

He was born here in DC. About 10 years ago we went to see The Ventures play at The Birchmere in Alexandria VA. We got in early before the doors opened and there were a few folks in the room. I saw Jeff chatting with some people at a table, and he got up and came over to chat with us.

As part of my work for the fed gubmint I had also attended a few talks Jeff gave on several occasions. His approach to the intelligence business was quite 'outside the box' of conventional intel doctrine.

During the show he gave his 'testimony' about how he was lured into guitar playing: his dad was in the US diplomatic corps and was posted to Mexico City in the 60s; Jeff was blown away by The Ventures' music and hounded his parents for a Fender Jaguar. And the rest is history.

He was sitting in with his heroes! What an unexpected treat that was; he played a Strat that night.

Jeff can surf with the best of 'em. He's a really nice guy.

teletimetx, Ronzo, rz350 and 3 others like this.
  19. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Best solo on the album! He used a burns guitar plugged into a cranked ampeg vt-40. He mentions in a very old interview that he smoked a joint, turned the lights down and let it Rip.

20. SnidelyWhiplash

Gittin it done with what at the time was new equipment. No PAFs, Blackguards or Pre CBS Fenders in sight.

Hmm... :rolleyes:

rz350 and 57fenderstrat like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.