Mox (or Nox) AC15 combo

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Been using a Vox AC15 with old farts band and I love it's tone and volume, but it has two flaws. It's awkwardly sized to transport in my car. It's too heavy. I've been spoiled by my 27lb Super Champ that's smaller than a BJ. The AC15 handwireds are too big/oddly shaped (and exxy) and still weigh 50lb with a Blue.

As I have some suitable power and output transformers around I'm inclined to make a downsized 75% AC15 - bigger than an AC10 so I can fit a 12" speaker. Marshall Origin 20 sized.

Don't need tremolo, don't want reverb on it. Don't need the normal channel which I don't use. Ditto effects loop.

I'm thinking of using the AC4C1 preamp swaged onto the AC15 power amp, with a PPIMV and cut control. The AC4 seems to have the Topboost preamp tonality, the AC15 has the power. If it ended up a bit less loud - not an issue as I can only use the AC15C1 on about '4' master now.

So it'll have gain-treb-bass-master-cut. I'll make a ply cabinet and hopefully the whole thing will weigh 40lb instead of 50. The bit of ply I have will be slightly wider than a Tweed Deluxe but similar deptth and height.

I have some nice fawn tolex and oxblood grille cloth. I can't decide whether to badge it Mox (mock Vox) or Nox (not Vox) .

Last edited:

GlideOn-Designs

Tele-Meister
Unpopular suggestion:

Modify the vehicle to make it more accomidating for the amplifier. Bumper lip covers help avoid scratching the vehicle, wrap it in a U haul moving blanket to avoid scratching the amp - lets you handle the amp that critical few inches in & out of the vehicle worry-free. Back braces can sound silly, but they can mean the difference between getting it out safely or pulling a muscle before the gig. Or just ask a willing good neighbor to help out for a few seconds.

Not too many options come to mind worth considering that are simultaneously simultaneously lighter, as powerful or as good for tone - unless you're willing to downsize.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Perhaps buy a lightweight amp that delivers that you can slap in the back of your
car with one arm.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Unpopular suggestion:

Modify the vehicle to make it more accomidating for the amplifier. Bumper lip covers help avoid scratching the vehicle, wrap it in a U haul moving blanket to avoid scratching the amp - lets you handle the amp that critical few inches in & out of the vehicle worry-free. Back braces can sound silly, but they can mean the difference between getting it out safely or pulling a muscle before the gig. Or just ask a willing good neighbor to help out for a few seconds.

Not too many options come to mind worth considering that are simultaneously simultaneously lighter, as powerful or as good for tone - unless you're willing to downsize.
I'm not getting rid of my 5.7 coupe in the near future. Solution has to fit it - not vice versa. As for modifying it - that's a hard pass.

IMG_20200229_082555.jpg

Perhaps buy a lightweight amp that delivers that you can slap in the back of your
car with one arm.
There isn't one. An AC4 is the right size/weight/sounding but too low powered. I considered turning one into an AC15 - that's how Paul Rivera created the Superchamp, fitting a Deluxe output into a Champ with 10" speaker but s/h still Au$400 for the 12" version. I'd have to gut it and fit larger transformers. Cabinet's pressboard and the chassis is the back panel - I don't know if it'd support the transformers. I've got a line on a s/h Blue so I'd like a 12" capable unit.
I would suggest a Winfield Cyclone which is very similar to an early AC 15. It should be considerably lighter than 50 pounds, and is full of Voxiness.
Interesting - but I doubt he'd sell a 240 volt unit and I want a 12AX7 topboost, not EF86. Landed in Australia I don't see it costing less than $2 or $3000. I don't want to spend that sort of bucks.

I can do it myself, having resurrected a 68 drip edge Vibrochamp from a shell with transformers and a gutted tagboard and built 3 5E3s.

I have the correct voltage primary and secondary power and push-pull transformers here plus marine ply, switches, pots, standoffs etc.

Last edited:

Snfoilhat

Tele-Afflicted
@Dacious I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together. If you have the parts and the know-how to copy or adapt one of the many amps that are derived from the original Vox, then I can't see what any of the boutique builders who do the same has to offer you other than convenience.

I just started working on fitting something close to the Matchless Lightning (looks like the AC-15 top boost only minus built in effects) into a Vibro-Champ chassis. Retreading the path that lead to the Super Champ, though with a Vox as the source material instead of a Fender. That's going to be tight and require some compromises (like no tube rectifier and probably no filter choke).

If you allow yourself just a little more space I think you could fit the whole thing and come out with a package about the size and weight (plus a couple pounds for larger transformers) of the Princeton Reverb reissue w/ the single 12". Sounds like a great design challenge and a cool amp to end up with. Good luck!

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Well wish you luck if do the build.
Couple more not sure if they are voltage compatible down there are the Goodsell and actually a classic 30. It has 4el84 and loads of overhead

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Well wish you luck if do the build.
Couple more not sure if they are voltage compatible down there are the Goodsell and actually a classic 30. It has 4el84 and loads of overhead
I'd never put a Classic 30 in the sane boat as a Vox - ditto Blues Jnr. There have been Goidsels here as well as Friedmans and Morgans. uber expensive and rare. Mostly their models are Marshally, not Voxy.

Last edited:

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I'd never put a Classic 30 in the sane boat as a Vox - ditto Blues Jnr. There have been Goidsels here as well as Frieamans. uber expensive and rare.
Just thought I would throw in a powerful portable. Maybe pedal it to get that top boost going on. Morgan’s are the vox killers but pricey as is the dr z

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
IMG_20220715_170429.jpg

Cutting and evening-up the ply for the sides. I have a bigass bit of Masonite I'm going to rebate into the ply for the baffle. I have templates for the control panel to do top rear mounting with a 9" chassis. The Plessey12" alnico speaker will do for a start.
IMG_20220715_170437.jpg

Found a bit of old pigskin coloured tolex.
IMG_20220715_170440.jpg

Last edited:

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
@Dacious I'm looking forward to seeing what you put together. If you have the parts and the know-how to copy or adapt one of the many amps that are derived from the original Vox, then I can't see what any of the boutique builders who do the same has to offer you other than convenience.

I just started working on fitting something close to the Matchless Lightning (looks like the AC-15 top boost only minus built in effects) into a Vibro-Champ chassis. Retreading the path that lead to the Super Champ, though with a Vox as the source material instead of a Fender. That's going to be tight and require some compromises (like no tube rectifier and probably no filter choke).

If you allow yourself just a little more space I think you could fit the whole thing and come out with a package about the size and weight (plus a couple pounds for larger transformers) of the Princeton Reverb reissue w/ the single 12". Sounds like a great design challenge and a cool amp to end up with. Good luck!
That's the plan. The ply sides I cut come up a bit wider than a Tweed Deluxe. They're being slotted into 1.5 X 1" DAR rebated for them. Then once glue dries I'm going to trim and round over the corners flush.

It's going to have a single input, five controls on top and six Noval sockets underneath. The speaker will be offset to the non-transformer side. Control panel cutout will be smaller than a AC15 but bigger than a Tweed Deluxe.

I'm confident I can get my transformers and a small 5-10 Henry choke in - power is a stand-up A&R that's got a small footprint. It'll project forward into space. The back will only have IEC power socket and some speaker jacks with a lineout plus a fuse socket.

GlideOn-Designs

Tele-Meister
I'm not getting rid of my 5.7 coupe in the near future. Solution has to fit it - not vice versa. As for modifying it - that's a hard pass.

View attachment 1004634

There isn't one. An AC4 is the right size/weight/sounding but too low powered. I considered turning one into an AC15 - that's how Paul Rivera created the Superchamp, fitting a Deluxe output into a Champ with 10" speaker

Pull out when needed, tuck in when done.

Have one in my Accord.

No modification necessary(?), at least not to the engine...

tfarny

Poster Extraordinaire
Why not build a new cabinet out of 3/4 pine or 1/2 BB ply? I'd bet you can get the width down by a few inches at least, and the overall weight down probably 8-10 lb or so. If it can't be made smaller maybe a head + cab is your friend.

I wouldn't build a whole new amp from scratch just to get something smaller unless you want to do it anyhow, in which case, good luck!

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
Why not build a new cabinet out of 3/4 pine or 1/2 BB ply? I'd bet you can get the width down by a few inches at least, and the overall weight down probably 8-10 lb or so. If it can't be made smaller maybe a head + cab is your friend.

I wouldn't build a whole new amp from scratch just to get something smaller unless you want to do it anyhow, in which case, good luck!
Problem with the AC15C1 is the chassis is full width in the cabinet. Even the HW ones are still 48 lb with a ply cabinet. They're narrower but taller.

By condensing the whole amp and losing a channel and trem and some components I can get the chassis size down, then offset the speaker like a Fender Deluxe to make it smaller. It's going in a Hammond chassis that will be wired PTP as it's a simple circuit. This is a little wider than a Tweed Deluxe.

I have the cabinet just about ready to glue. It's going to be about 3"narrower and 2" shorter. The baffle is rebated into the front , so it will be glued in one hit.
IMG_20220718_165322.jpg

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
What are those corner blocks you are using?
It's 40x18mm DAR pine I think..here it's rounded with my end trimmer. I've added top brace mount for chassis and bottom brace for the lower back panel.

IMG_20220730_164039.jpg

I'm smoothing off and sanding the corners.
IMG_20220730_164032.jpg

I'm now working out if I can use a cathodyne split tail phase inverter after a cathode follower EQ recovery. Means both sides of V2 would be cathode-follower stages. But it means I only need 2 12AX7s.