Mowing the lawn - peace of mind

11 Gauge

Doctor of Teleocity
I've always hated mowing the lawn, for various reasons.

Probably the biggest reason is that I find no joy in doing something that has to constantly, periodically be done all over again. All I can think when I'm done cutting the grass is that in a week (in the middle of summer in Maryland, anyway) I'll have to do it all over again.

The second biggest reason I hate mowing the lawn is because I have seasonal allergies. So the grass itself doesn't bother me, but all the trees pollenating from April to June are really hard on my system.

The third biggest reason I hated cutting the lawn was because one bordering portion contained the stumps of over a half dozen trees that were cut down. I ended up destroying two blades running over the stumps. I then discovered that I hated repairing a lawnmower as much as I hated mowing the lawn.

The final reason I hated mowing the lawn, and ended up having to get someone else to do it, is because I developed bad arthritis, primarily in my feet, hands, and wrists. It literally became a pain to mow the lawn.

...I'm also now remembering that at one time, my lawn had developed a sinkhole about 18" in diameter, and about 3' deep. The bigger issue was the actual original hole at the top was only about 2" wide (it must have been like 'convex at the top', inside, if that makes sense), so I never knew it was there. It wasn't until I stepped over it with the lawnmower in front that one of my legs went down up to about the knee. If I had fallen backwards instead of forwards, I probably would have mowed off my leg at the kneecap.

msalama

Tele-Afflicted
cold can of lager is postponed until tomorrow
...except that it wasn't. Fetched the wife from work today and while driving home, just mentioned that no-one seems to have any desire for a cold one... or was I perhaps mistaken? To which she responded that yeah, I bloody well am after such a horrible week at work, so what I need to do is get my a** and the car in gear immediately and let's go buy a coupla 6-packs right now! OK, fine by me... :D

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
86AIZJtc0ddUTm7PBh1qWfj2SXfoKni2FOILKpNvxoFFTugdwhP0JbCuybtrze8ZHoDxbba0clUfAyToLyoFli6rv0kY8nzMcDnCpTt4iyp3-4kw6EH_CIXUONeIK_suf3SphksKDg=s1600

Fuelish

Tele-Afflicted
foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
Ah ya... been so hot recently, I have not mowed to keep grass from looking burnt.
Cold one.

Well don't get the keeping up with Joneses. Some of my neighbors do the golf angled cut. Too much work.

lol
My neighbor did that a few times after his wife bought him some mower attachment.....he decided it's too much like work and too danged hot here in TN to bother cutting grass any longer length of time than you must

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
I like mowing, I throw in some earbuds and listen to podcasts or music. It gives me a sense of satisfaction to have it done nicely. My wife thinks I'm nuts and my neighbors think I'm a hillbilly (they use mowing services). It takes me a couple hours to mow and trim, I use a self propelled walk-behind mower. Much of my day is spent at a desk so it provides some outdoor physical activity.

Last year we were gone for a couple weeks and I hired a neighbor kid to mow. He did OK but the lines were crooked, it drove me crazy for a couple weeks until I re-established the patterns. My wife said something about OCD at the time but I don't think so...I just like to see it done right. Beer anytime in the summer is great!

Last edited:

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
I despise mowing grass, particularly with a push mower although the self-propelled makes it more tolerable. I have a zero turn that eats drive belts every four or five hours if you run it too much so I brought it to our suburban home from the farm. ZTR makes quick work of our .2 acre yard and the belt doesn't break more than once per year so that's worked well so far. My left neighbor lets his go a little and I follow his lead on when to mow. My right neighbor thinks that yard maintenance is his duty to the universe but he mows the peninsula between us so I think he's all right.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't enjoy the mowing but I like the look of it, when the work is done. If it then rains, on my handiwork? So much the better.

'No Mow May' was a worthwhile initiative. It would be improved, if folks planted insect friendly shrubs and trees, in their gardens, whilst not using chemicals, or so many chemicals, for starters.

My garden is a scruffy wildlife oasis. I'm surrounded by intensively farmed pasture and arable fields, where spraying crops is part of the business, as currently configured. Maximising that Barley crop, for the Malt Whisky trade. The contrast, between my yard and the cereal acres, is huge-parched soils, little insect life, no resident birds. the answer to the 'mysterious bee decline' is obvious- at least, around here. There are seven or eight species of bee, living on my doorstep.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
We have been taking care of our lawn for many, many years. This may shock some of you, but we vacuum, sweep, and mop the floors, clean the bathrooms and even wash our clothes when they get dirty.

flathd

Poster Extraordinaire
I don't mind mowing the front yard, it's level. (push mower) It's the hill that tortures my feet and ankles walking at the steep angle. Also the wasps that stung my already sore ankles at the bottom of the hill. It's been dry so I watered the brown patch in front for 2 hours last night and used 220 gallons of water, according to the HUN (High use notification) from city.

I enjoy lawn mowing and vacuuming
No hobbies, eh?
Be sure to use ear protection.
And mute that soothing sound? Only thing worse is the neighbors and their gas powered leaf blowers.