Mow your own lawn

Papanate

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Even if you think you might enjoy doing it, would you really want to be out there in 90+ degrees and 90 percent humidity
When I first moved to North Carolina 19 years ago - I tried mowing my lawn in the summer - I have about 1 acre with hills and so forth - I'd get about 1 stripe down and have to go sit in the garage with a cold water for ten minutes - after a few years I acclimated - I can do the whole yard with a Self Propelled Honda - 45 minutes - I'm drenched in sweat but don't notice it - and then I do the Beds and Weed Trimming - overall it's about 1 1/2 Hours start to finish - the Heat and the Humidity don't bother me at all.

bluesfordan

Friend of Leo's
I had to capitulate and go with a lawn service after I lost an eye to failed glaucoma surgery. I just can't push the lawnmower in a straight line to save my life. Lost my livelihood too, as I used to be a landscaper.

Geo

Poster Extraordinaire
I mow once a week, trim the shrubs and do edging. It's the most exercise I get. It helps my joints a lot and keeps
my weight reasonable. I probably sweat off a pound or so each time during spring and summer months. (temp was 90
yesterday) I should be okay for at least another 5 years.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I have to keep from giving in to a I DON'T WANT TO sign in my head.
You know I never used to have any of that. When I was a hound hunter, and the dogs treed, I just headed towards them. Now I'd send a cellphone with the lead dog. I'd want him to send me back a pic of the varmint before I headed out, they might be false treed.

drumtime

Tele-Afflicted
I don't have the income to pay anybody, and it would be hard to get a kid to come all the way out here. We have about an acre around the house that we consider "yard" and mostly needs mowing. Between the two of us and a riding mower, we stay ahead of it OK. Both officially in our 70s now, so who knows how much longer...

Then there's the 50+ acres that surround the "yard." My wife just lined up a guy to cut it for hay, even though it's pretty weedy. Better him than me.

howardlo

Tele-Afflicted
Always have mowed my own lawn and at nearly 75 still do. Also still shovel my own snow.

I walk my dogs every morning year ‘round (and have for the past 14 years since I retired) and the one thing I notice is that for the most part the younger the home owner, the less likely that they will shovel snow often, if at all.

Same seems to go for mowing lawns before they get really tall.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
*Something that's probably a bit controversial, is I've considered hiring a cleaning service to run through my place on a schedule. I'll admit that it's for no other reason than I dislike cleaning. I still do it, but I don't like it. My sister has a 'cleaning lady', and calls this "buying your time back".

I'd say that phrase applies to yard service as well.

"buying your time back" is how I feel about the lawn service.

I actually had a retired woman who cleaned my house for about a year. She was bored and liked the extra cash. It was worth it as well. I would come home and the house would be clean, straight and smelled great. She also changed the sheets, and would wash clothes as well. It was great. Eventually I'll try to find someone to do that as well.

TokyoPortrait

Friend of Leo's
Hi.

Folk don’t really have lawns here. Combo of no space, culture and climate, I guess?

It gets very hot and humid in summer here (people think you’re exaggerating when you tell them how fast stuff grows), and while the winters aren’t that cold (from my point of view), the range in difference between winter and summer is pretty big. I think that might not favour many grasses.

We have a lawn though. Takes about an hour to cut it. Imported US lawnmower from Costco. Lawnmowers are rare and expensive here (although recently I’ve seen more reasonably priced ones from Yamaha). Most people, if they have any grass at all, use a kind of metal bladed weed eater thing for the small amount they have. Or hand trimmers!

Twice I’ve gotten heat stroke while mowing my lawn. Not fun.

Thankfully don’t have to mow it too often, as it’s some kind of ‘survives in summer as more like slow growing ground cover, goes dormant and brown in winter’ kind of species, a ‘can cope with the temperature range across the seasons’ variety. Seems to be the common type here. There is faster growing grass mixed in here and there though, most where I’ve gotten rid of the garden.

Weeding on the other hand, needs to be done about every two hours during summer…

My lawn, recently, before I cut it. You can get a hint of the still dormant and newer ‘evergreen’ I’ve mixed in.

8B55FDB5-AB50-41C2-AE7C-D40CA54BC83A.jpeg

Empty section, near my train station. That weedy mess is yet to take off.

3EA75281-A9CB-4566-B362-10D4E06143E2.jpeg

Pax/
Dean

Painter644

Tele-Meister
Two knee replacements (after ten arthroscopies), three lumbar fusions, two b-lateral foot surgeries, four rotator cuff surgeries, both hands and wrists, and one total hip. Damn right I’m cutting my own lawn, hills and all! Okay, I do have a sweet Honda self-propelled, walk-behind. The gas trimmer is a little heavy though, but much better than the corded electric it replaced… Before I retired I paid a guy, but since, I mean, what else do I have to do? Am I going to hide in my house while a crew buzzes through it? Nah!

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
As a kid growing up in Tulsa, I used to Challenge my neighbor kid from across the street to "Drag Race" our gas engine reel type lawn mowers. His dad owned a bicycle shop and my dad an automotive repair business. We always competed in my front yard. I let him win ever-so-often just to keep him interested. I got my yard done in half the time with half the effort and it took him a couple of years to catch on to my dastardly scheme.

I still mow and edge my own lawn front and back and still have all my original body parts (except for two fingers lost in a jointer years ago) but I'm 80 years and counting.

I have all kinds of mowers edgers and weed eaters that I buy and refurbish or maintain that take up space. I've considered finding a youngster in my neighborhood or adjacent to give all of my equipment to in exchange for having him/or her do my yard until I move or "move-on". They could start their own Yard Care Business and use the tools that I could help maintain.

Speaking greens - I'm watching the PGA Golf finals in my hometown.

Lost_N_Austin

Last edited: