1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moving your amp in the room. New found love. Some 68 Custom Princeton content

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Axegrinder77, Oct 31, 2019.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Moved it out from right behind me on the b stage, to across the room near our drummer. 68 custom PR.

Went unmiked in rehearsal tonight. Just barely loud enough on 4, where I like it (od, distortion and fuzz user).

The amp sounded so different over there. It worked out tonight. I love that amp. I might try turning up to 5 or 6 next week and "riding" the the volume knob on the guitar. Maybe I'll love it even more?!

Please share your love of rediscovering your amp by repositioning, or your love of the CPR, or lower wattage amps in general.

There, it's wide open!

Axe

Deathray likes this.
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I have a few amps that I loved the sound of after repositioning them from the store to my house. But the opposite has happened too, thus the stories that dealers have "trick" rooms that make equipment sound better than it really is. Similar to those mirrors in women's clothing stores.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Deathray and drlucky like this.
  3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Afflicted

One of my amps is a red stripe Bandit. It's too heavy to move around much, but no matter where I stand it sounds great. It is good to rediscover your own gear.

4. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was pondering amp position the other day and wondering what it would be like (if even practical) to set up with two amps stationed away from each other and on an A/B switch. New to this, wondering if it would benefit the presentation or just my own ear?

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Now add in a tilt factor and/or elevation and that takes
    it to another level also.
    (Not to mention facing backward and a tad louder)

stormsedge and AndyPanda like this.
  6. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've been a convert to facing my amp at the back wall for many years. Small amps--especially--benefit from this. Less speaker beaming and much better bass response from smaller speakers. It really evens out the sound of your guitar on the stage and in the room; this is critical when you're not DI'd or mic'd into the FOH. Do this in the corner of a room and really be amazed.

7. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Saw a guy play at a local bar recently with his amp facing backwards. The amp was open backed and sounded really good. Never tried it myself.

8. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Since I got my 68 custom PR I don't want to use any other amp. On a tour with limited gear space in Montana last summer I used a pedalboard and a zt lunchbox instead; I regretted that for the whole trip. I generally tip the PR up, mic it and put it in front of me. That way I hear basically what the audience hears, dont Mess up the mix and keep the stage volume down.

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I'm new to guitar but long time musician (sax, flute, keyboards etc.) and I've never understood the practice of having an amp behind you aimed at the back of your knees. I've always used an amp like I'd use a vocal monitor - in front of me or to the side of me and angled to aim at my ears so I can hear what I'm playing. I guess guitar amp is a whole different beast since you're dealing with finding the right balance of volume and breakup.

I did a show a few years ago where Neal Schon was playing right after us (award ceremony for Gregg Rolie) and his "rig" was setup next to where I was setting up. His "rig" was an old Deluxe, set up to the front/side of where Neal would stand and angled back to aim at him. He also had a tube screamer - a Deluxe and a tube screamer - he sounded great. I've always tried to talk our guitarist into moving his amp in front/side and aimed towards him so the stage volume doesn't need to be so loud that we have to wear earplugs. No luck with that so far :cool:

uriah1 likes this.
  10. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

I've had my 68 PRRI a lil over a month haven't really played a gig. We did have a jam session party for the other guitarist, outside on his patio. I ended up playing around 6-7 backing off the reverb, and bass, man, it was killer tone. I have a board with some nice OD's, they never came on, I did hit the RC Booster for solos, I could back off the volume and clean it up some, just the right amount of hair. I'm sold on it as my fav, if I want cleaner, I'll throw a mic on it. Watching the vids later, I was cutting through, not so much louder, just "there." I added tilt back legs to it since.

11. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

It's funny, I bought a tilt back amp stand, but I prefer the amp flat on the floor. Seemed to reduce the piercing treble. Could just be the way that room is.

teledude66 likes this.
  12. teledude66

teledude66 Friend of Leo's

in the case of the backyard jam, it was hitting me in the calves so I really didn't get a feel for it, I mean I could tell I liked it, but wasn't sure how other people were being affected, so its purely for monitoring in my case. I don't really get the ice pick on this amp, my Classic 30 however was a different case altogether.

13. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

While I agree an amp's sound changes to our ears by simply repositioning it, sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse but unless the audience is standing where you are they are going to hear what you're hiding from.

My opinion is if the amp doesn't sound good straight on then moving around to find "your" sweet spot isn't improving anything.

AndyPanda likes this.
  14. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Holic

I agree completely. This is why I feel the amp should be positioned like a monitor (in front or to the side aimed at your ears) so you are hearing the same sound the mic on the speaker is picking up - let the PA system deliver the sound to the audience.

Les H likes this.
  15. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I also agree.

I always mic up. I've played in stage areas so small I couldn't even face my amp towards me or the audience. I put my trust in the PA and monitors and experimenting with mic placement is just as "effective" as moving the amp around.

AndyPanda likes this.
  16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

With the speaker "on axis", that is when you look at the center of the speaker right at the cone, you'll hear the brightest sound with a lot of high frequencies. As you move to positions away from the on axis position the sound changes. Moving the amp within a room causes the sound to reflect off of difference surfaces.

Playing with a amp tilted back let's you hear a pretty accurate representation of the amp. That's what the audience sitting in front of your amp is hearing. When the amp is pointed to the back of your knees you're hearing less of the volume and less of the highs. The audience still is hearing the full volume and high end.

To control volume at gigs and to hear what I really sounded like, I used my super reverb's tilt back legs to point it up at me. I never tried having it in front but I've heard of others doing it.

AndyPanda likes this.
  17. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

CPR @ 3-4 in the corner, and it always sounds good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.