Moving: What To Do With Guitar Magazines??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by detour, Feb 4, 2015.

1. detour

detour TDPRI Member

So, I am moving from my apartment of 16 years... living in NYC most of my life has curbed, what I assume to be, my natural hoarding instinct; with one exception - Guitar Player Magazines. Way back in the pre-internet day I was proud of the little reference library I had assembled starting in college in the mid '80's. They deserved the valuable shelf space they occupied! Fast forward and I have amassed approximately 28 years of predominantly, Guitar Player Magazines (with a few years of Acoustic Guitar and Premiere Guitar thrown in).

So I ask: what to do? I can not bring myself to simply toss them out, leave them on the curb to be picked through and pitied. Donate them? To whom? Sell them? Not on on CL. And I am not an eBay seller, though I have toyed with the idea, grouping by year for a buck or two apiece. I have actually spent a ridiculous amount of time preparing for that option by scanning the covers, taking a group photo and bundling them (by year). My fear is that I will never get to it, and they will sit in boxes taking up valuable real estate (my new place has a small storage cage in the basement).

Thought? Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

They bring nothing on ebay- I tried the same thing.

Maybe you could give them away? Thats what I did.

3. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Libraries.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I'd gathered a pile of guitar mags over the years - going back as far as the early-mid 80's and had kept many of them in a cupboard for all this time - only ones which had at least one article that I wanted to keep. But that took up a substantial amount of space as you can imagine.

Looking ahead to later this year when I hope to be buying a boat and living on it, this was one of the many things I've been going through recently and I decided to go through each mag and just rip out the articles I wanted to keep and put them in a cardboard storage container. I went from having several shelves stacked with the mags down to 1 mag sized container which takes up hardly any space and the added benefit is that I now don't have to scan through a whole magazine to find the article I want. Anything that's in the box is there for a reason whether it be something related to a particular guitarist, a guitar or amp review, technique, etc.

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I found that our local library offers digital back copies of the popular UK guitarist magazine for FREE going back a few years and gets all the new issues too!! (As well as hundreds of other magazines of cooking, photography,movies, etc.). Works with the Zineo app.

After finding that I could scratch the old issue itch, I had no problem letting my collection go. I gave them to a kid just getting deep into guitars.

6. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

[​IMG]

Or you could stealthily drop them around doctor's waiting rooms. God knows they'd be an improvement over Reader's Digest April 1983

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

If you've got them catalogued and pictured.
    Put em on auction or your local Craigslist.
    I sold a few wine boxes full for over $100 each.
    Mine dated back to early 70s issues, when Gtr player was a good read.

9. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

I've just had a clear out because drawers were buckling under the weight of magazines. I too came to the conclusion that the only way to get rid of them was a trip down to the local recycling centre:)

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

detour I am about to move, same as you, and have a really good collection of guitar magazines.
    Some of them have great interviews with people such as George Harrison, Tommy Emmanuel, Brian May ,Chet Atkins et.al. What to do?
    Maybe keep a select few or give them to a young, talented aspiring guitarist you may know.
    I know, that as a young person, I appreciated anything I got from an old luthier.
    Either that, or a library, but please explain that such magazines contain knowledge that will last. JMHO

11. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Maybe a vets office or a pet hospital. Typically I see cosmo or woman's day. I took a few stacks (10 or so in each) to the local pet hospitals.

Carl

12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sold 4 decades worth of VG, GP, GW, magazines to Half Price Books for about
    $45, about a year ago.
    I had about 2 dozen big boxes to schlep.
    Definitely not worth it.
    I did enjoy, and revisit the magazines often during my years of hoarding them.
    I don't regret keeping them, or selling them.
    After awhile, they become a fire hazard.
    Now on the rare occasions I buy them, I just pass them on to friends, or "round file" them.

13. JackStraw

JackStraw Friend of Leo's

Definitely this!

14. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

LOL just imagine a kid waiting at the doctor's office thinking "Hmmm..."

[​IMG]

or...

[​IMG]

:twisted:

15. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

AirBag

ur post makes my... WEEK!!

16. detour

detour TDPRI Member

Some great ideas! thanks. keep them coming.
    I would like to donate them to a good cause, particularly a motivated kid. NYC isn't the most communal place in the word. maybe after I move (next week!) I can look further in that direction. my thinking for the moment is that they are basically "move" ready, and I'll be living with boxes for the foreseeable future, so what's a few more...

17. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Such an amazing collection and you've taken great care of them. Maybe check with Musicians Institute or some place similar. Seems like this would be a great resource for students.

18. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo TDPRI Member

Sold my collection of Guitar Player and Guitar World magazines dating from the early 70's on Craigslist for $230-sounds like I was unbelieveably fortunate...

There are two kinds of music in my world-Country AND Western.

19. christhee68

christhee68 Friend of Leo's

[​IMG]

20. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Gave mine (30 yrs. of GP) to a friend who teaches guitar for a living. He keeps 'em on hand for students to use or for reference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.