Moving up from being a band member to being the leader?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by DADGAD, Jun 18, 2021.

1. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

Peter Gabriel was the original frontman for Genesis. When Peter left the band, Genesis did quite well when the drummer, Phil Collins, took the lead singer spot. Has this happened with any other bands?

Four years ago at church, I was a guitarist. But I was offered the music director slot when the last leader left to join the Marines. It has worked out well.

Now with my classic rock band, the lead singer/acoustic guitar just sold his house and is moving out of state. The other members and I want to keep the band together. It looks like I may have to move up to the front man slot. I hesitate to lead because I enjoy just playing guitar with exceptional musicians. I get to let down my hair and just rock out without being responsible for holding it all together. I think it will be much more work.

Any suggestions for making the transition? Stories, wisdom and experiences are much appreciated.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Be prepared to no longer spend time loving music but instead mostly;
    schmoozing,
    making posters,
    following where new music events are opening up,
    contacting club managers via phone/email/FB message,
    recontacting club managers via phone/email/FB message,
    coming up with set lists,
    organizing rehearsals,
    reminding slacker musicians that may or may not show up for rehearsal to be there,
    finding replacements for musicians that cant make a gig,
    suggesting new songs,
    telling people they can't sing that song well enough,
    going to the bank ahead of time to get cash for your musicians when the venue is paying by check,
    etc etc etc

DADGAD and nojazzhere like this.
  3. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Jerry Cantrell of Alice in Chains took lead vocals for a while after Layne Staley's death. AiC was always Jerry's band, though, and he sang on their releases when Layne was still alive too. I love him and personally would've been fine with him permanently assuming lead vocals. It just has to be really difficult to sing and play lead guitar.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
    DADGAD likes this.
  4. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Pat Metheny

DADGAD likes this.
  5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

That's a bit different though;

AiC always had Jerry singing and it interacted very well with Laynes voice. Layne has that distinctive alternative type voice, whereas Jerry had a more normal sound, which worked out great for all the harmonizing and trading off.
    I agree that once layne died jerry could have just handled vocal duties.

6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Front man and band leader are two different things, apart from the ego of course. A band leader is a manager first and foremost. The band leader hires and fires and keeps everyone on task. This isn’t necessarily autocratic. The best way to get band mates to buy in is to hear them out and allow them to have at least some say on execution. You can delegate tasks. In fact you should because this also encourages your band mates to buy in, but ultimately, the leader is responsible. Be sure you understand the job and are willing to take on the responsibility before you take it on.

DADGAD likes this.
  7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

That's the truth of it in a nutshell. My rule of thumb has always been that if the band needs a leader I'm in the wrong band and I'm playing with the wrong pickers. A band is a lot like a marriage. If all parties have the same tastes, goals and expectations then you're going to make it. If not then a so called "leader" isn't going to be able to fix that to any ones satisfaction. I don't lead and I don't follow. I just look for folks who are going in my direction until they aren't and then it's time to move on.

DADGAD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.