1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moving To The Dark Side? Two Gibson SGs

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by PumpJockey, May 9, 2015.

1. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I have always been a Fender guy through and through. Even when I began building I did Strats, Teles, P-basses, even a Jagstang.

(OK, I built a chambered LP Jr. out of mahogany and, yes, I would play it when I thought no one was listening, but I thought I could control myself.)

Now I find myself in possession of, not one, but two Gibson SGs. The one on the right is a 2008, the one on the left a 1970.

The 1970 Standard came to me with the neck snapped off at the body and given to me as scrap. (Turns out that is an easier repair than a broken headstock.) The finish is pocked from having been stored in a damp basement and moisture getting under dings in the finish. It is all original, with the tarback pickups, tuners and electronics.

The 2008 Robot Special Ltd. came with a rather poor re-finish in white (the originals came in metallic green!), plus the auto tuners and the auto-tune knob dangling by the ribbon connector, a mixed set of Duncan pickups (a '59 and an Antiquity). It is more fancy, with ebony fretboard, full neck and headstock binding, trapezoid inlays and the locking cable jack.

I have been playing both a lot. I had to remove the auto-tune from the 2008. Even when I could keep the knob in place I didn't like the system. (I understand the current version is much better.) I pulled it, replaced the bridge, tuners and tone knob. I am more comfortable with the traditional tuners and it got rid of the neck dive.

I like the neck on the 2008. It is very big: wide, flat and fat, quite different in feel from the baseball bat necks I put on my Teles. The 1970 was from the era when Gibson necks were at their skinniest. That takes some getting used to. On the other hand, those tarback pups have a great sound. Both guitars sound very good through my muchXS Princeton Reverb build.

The only problem is, I now seem to have a strange desire to play Back In Black, War Pigs and Sunshine of Your Love...

Attached Files:

• sgs.jpg
      sgs.jpg
      File size:
      68.9 KB
      Views:
  2. oatsoda

oatsoda Tele-Holic

Yeah, I think we've all strayed off the straight and narrow path
    at one time in our lives. We'll be here when you get back, and don't worry, we won't think any less of you.

3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Haha! I did the same thing, and now own two SG's as well, a 2008 SG Classic and a 2013 Standard. The '13 Standard is my #1 go-to electric these days. I use it for Americana/rock, country-type stuff. Feel bad for neglecting my Tele, but the SG has just been the one Ive been reaching for for a while now.

Attached Files:

4. nick0

nick0 Tele-Meister

I love Gibsons and Fenders too!!:)

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

SGs were my first guitar love. Picked up an '83 Special brand new and I still have it. Can't beat it for the light weight and sheer rockability.

6. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

Variety, my friends, is the spice of life.

7. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

After owning most popular and semi popular guitars, I've found that the only guitars that give me the sound I've always had in my head, are all mahogany.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. PumpJockey

:)

Who says you can't play Country on an SG? His even has the vibrola!

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

View from my current; reclined, position.

Attached Files:

10. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

I don't know where the dark side is I thought most guitarists own a variation of one of each a Gibson or Gibson style of guitar and something Fender . Or multiple . I love the SG !! I think there is a bit more clarity and bite to an SG as to a Les Paul , but I love both guitars..

11. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

A good SG is a fine instrument,and hard to beat for that Gibby tone.

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hard to beat an all mahogany axe to venture into the dark side ...

but two?! Oh oh.

Anyway, congrats. Wish I had one or those. They make a unique honk that I can't make with my old Yammy SG800.

13. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

There's nothing wrong with belting out a little "War Pigs" every now and then. I'm currently looking for SG #3. Weight matters more to me than the name on the headstock.

14. tlimbert65

tlimbert65 Tele-Afflicted

I love Teles, but have an SG that I love, too. It appeals to me in the same way the Tele does: it's simple and rugged with a nice clear voice. I like how light it is, too. I find myself grabbing the Tele for cleaner sounds, and the SG for more dirty stuff. Works out pretty well. Still, if I could have only one, there's no question it would be the Tele.

15. PumpJockey

The Wife is constantly on me to thin out the herd. If I did it would be to keep (as of today) my home-brew pine body Tele and Strat and the '70 SG. And maybe the Cabronita... and the ES-339... etc.

Oh, never mind.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  16. SpareRibs

SpareRibs Tele-Meister

Darkside

Hello,
    Sorry tried to upload photo unsuccessfully.

17. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

This thread compelled me to count Girlfriend's shoes. I counted two dozen pairs before I gave up. They're in every room of the house. They're even in the spare bedroom I use as my guitar 'n' amp room. There's one of those shoe organizers on the back of the closet door in there. Come to think of it I didn't count those.

I wear L.L. Bean moccasins eight months of the year and an old pair of Swedish combat boots the other four. I have four pairs of shoes if you count last year's smelly old moccasins and the vintage East German Border Patrol jackboots I used for motorcycle boots.

Plan "B": Sawzall in hand cut an access panel in the sheetrock in the garage ceiling. Frame it out nice and paint it to match. Start packing the trusses with guitars.

Plan "C": I have an eleven room farmhouse one hundred miles away from any kind of work. It's packed with old motorcycles, old guitars and vintage electronics salvage. I could store a hundred more guitars in there without perceptibly increasing the clutter.

18. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I like your plan "C"

19. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I know it will ruffle some feathers around here, but one of my two SG's has become my #1 (SG Standard/'61 RI), and my Tele has been collecting dust now for a while because of it. I can get twangy, country sounds out of my SG just as good as any Tele, plus it just does that slight OD/touch of grit sound so much better and sits in the mix much better, the neck is faster and easier to get around on, and just overall sounds better to my ears for the type of stuff I play, which is along the lines of Americana/rock/country type stuff. The SG is where its at for me!

My #2 is an SG Classic, which is a USA made SG with P90's.

20. PumpJockey

I would never touch a hair on the repaired 1970 SG, but I could easily be convinced to put HB-sized P-90s in the 2008. If you want cheap, GFS makes 'em. If you want them to sound good, Rose Pickups makes 'em for not much more $. That's where I'd go to do it, and they would drop right in.

http://www.rosepickups.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3862823

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.