Moving to Richmond--any tips?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by eichaan, Nov 18, 2014.

1. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

So my wife just got an amazing job in Richmond, Virginia which means that we will be leaving NE PA in June and moving south.

Any TDPRIers down there? What is the music scene like? Are there any blues jams going on? How about the guitar stores? In general, how do you like living there?

I look forward to making some new guitar friends starting this summer!

2. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Don't do it?

Say "No" to smoking?

I got nuthin' else...

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It's a nice city, not too big. I would expect the musical scene is more vibrant than where you are. I have quite a few musical friends around Richmond fine players all. They seem to be playing quite a bit. Do you know where you want to live? Powhatan is nice, still quite rural.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Saying that living in Richmond is some sort of affiliation with smoking would be like saying that living in Toronto means you approve of crack-smoking mayors…
    I’m no expert on Richmond – but my wife was born there and still has family there. Plenty to enjoy.
    On one visit, I went to a guitar store called Guitar Works – nice place. It’s in an area called Carytown which was fun to check out. I’ve seen more than a few Virginians on TDPRI and they’ll probably be able to point you at a whole lot of things. If you've settled on a particular area, let me know and I'll get my wife and in-laws to make some more specific recommendations.

5. JCW1024

JCW1024 Tele-Meister

Well, just to start, Guitar Center and Sam Ash are right next to each other on Broad Street, about 10 miles west of downtown. There are tons of places that have music all around, and larger venues/historic theaters for national acts (one of which is aptly called "The National"). VCU, an urban university on the edge of the Fan District (one of Virginia's greatest neighborhoods), has a top-ranked art school, which helps drive a creative scene around the area. More restaurants than you can shake a stick at. Many established breweries, most of which seem to consistently have music/food trucks, with more popping up all the time.

6. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

Charlottesville is not too far away and is a great small town to live or hang out in. I've seen a couple music shows there in some cool venues.

As far as smoking goes, I lived in Lexington, KY for 7 years and couldn't believe the amount of cigarette smoking. I have a sense that the tobacco producing states are more heavily populated w/ smokers compared to other places around the US. But I bet there's data available on the inter-webs that that can confirm or disprove that.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to live in Charlottesville and would go down to Richmond for concerts and to see friends. I love the countryside around there. You're spitting distance from Colonial Williamsberg and the Chesapeake Bay and a little farther in the other direction is the Blue Ridge Mountains.

At the time there was a lot of rockabilly. Probably more Americana now, but no shortage of Telecasters.

That's what I know. I'd love to get back there some time for a visit. I have a lot of good memories of Virginia. I hope it all works out for you.

8. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Well you are going to have to get used to good weather, nice people, and southern charm. I think you should pass...........

Enjoy, it is a great city, we have an office there and I love to visit.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...with apologies to the OP, but at least you shouldn't feel like everyone in Richmond will be offering your kids a cigarette...

statistics can "prove" anything... but at least according to Gallup poll, your experience is partly right but falls apart after a little bit, unless Michigan magically became a tobacco producing state (it's in the top ten states for smoking); here's a link: http://www.gallup.com/poll/167771/smoking-rate-lowest-utah-highest-kentucky.aspx or the map version from medical daily:
    http://www.medicaldaily.com/cigarette-smoking-rates-state-are-there-lot-smokers-near-you-284010
    which you can compare to the top tobacco producing states:
    http://www.statista.com/statistics/192022/top-10-tobacco-producing-us-states/
    my only experience is that no one in my wife's family smokes. None. Most of them live in the Richmond area. Based on my data, Virigina is a non-smoking state.

10. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

Thanks for the replies, everybody! I am excited to learn more about my future home.

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Learn a few positive things to say about NASCAR.

12. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

13. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Its a pretty cool city -good size, Richmond Braves baseball team, fairly close to the outer banks beaches in North Carolina, good music scene. Friends lived there in college and every time I visited, I liked it.

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Well, the Track is way over in the NE quandrant, and the City goes on as usual whether or not racing is underway, I find.

I think the Carytown area, and that corridor extending towards downtown is cool; a lot of activity around there most anytime.

If you have any whitewater skills or inclination, think about getting a couple boats and play on the James River in all the whitewater features as it runs west to east just south of the central downtown area.

As for the weather, it is going to be much hotter, muggier in the summer than you're used to. Richmond is really the epicenter of the "too humid to be perfect in winter, too humid to be perfect in summer" phenomenon. The opposite of San Diego if you will. But neither season is very long, and dry air pushes in often enough - you just have to plan your activities around the weatherman a little.

Some would say The South begins with Fredericksburg, others say Ashland, but definitely by Richmond you are out of the DC thing and you will see "Southern" things happen you may have to get used to. I'm not going to elaborate; I just want you to be forewarned a little.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  15. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I've lived here all my life except when I was in the Air Force. We've had so damn many "come heres" that the town's demographics are changing rapidly. Other than that, Richmond's damn near the perfect place to live.

We're two hours from the ocean. We're two hours from the mountains. If you really must go, we're two hours from the big city. That's DC. Not Washington--that's a state; it's DC. We have a little bit of everything here.

We no longer have the Richmond Braves, Atlanta's AAA club; they moved to Gwinnett in 2008. We now have the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the AA club for the SF Giants. We have racin' on the only 3/4-mile track in NASCAR. We have the last race before the Chase, so there's excitement and intrigue in the air. We have the Redskins' training camp here in July and August.

The music scene here is pretty vibrant. Lots of venues, lots of open mic nights, etc, and lots of really talented musicians. We have GC and Sam Ash right next door to one another. Guitar Works is in Carytown, and there are a couple of other mom/pop music stores around town, but not too many. We have the Richmond Folk Festival every October--fun times for everyone!

We have Carytown (Richmond's Greenwich Village, IMO), the Fan, Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom, and more Civil War history than you can shake a stick at. The church where Patrick Henry gave his "give me liberty or give me death" speech still stands and is used weekly. The James River runs right through the heart of the city and there are some class IV rapids when the water's up. Richmond lies right on the falls of the James; east of the fall line we have tides on the river.

We have a right-to-work law, which means you don't have to join a union to get a job. Unions are not very prevalent here. Funny--people in SC, GA. AL, MS, and LA think we're yankees. We most assuredly are not! I guess they've forgotten that Richmond was the capital of the Confederacy.

Anything north of Fredricksburg is considered yankeeland to us. That's how far the DC urban sprawl extends.

We don't have a whole lot of traffic by big-city standards, but we do have some traffic jams on occasion.

Bottom line for me: the more I travel around the world, the more I like it right here.

16. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Actually the current team is the Richmond Flying Squirrels, a SF Giants double A team. They've been great, I think the consensus is that we don't really miss the old Triple A Richmond Braves. We just wish we had a new baseball park.

17. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I'm about an hour away and go there regularly for overnight visits. I hit the guitar shops, thrift stores and the restaurants. I'd move there if I could get a job!

18. eichaan

eichaan Tele-Holic

Thanks so much for the additional info, especially Boris and tfsails. I appreciate it! Maybe I'll be able to meet up with tfsails and jwp333 when I get to town in the summer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.