1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moving to Phoenix Jan 2016, where should I live?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mlove3, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Coach56

Coach56 One of the Boys

Rattlers are best served as a shish ka bob with Cajun seasoning and white wine.

Scorpions on the other hand are best deep fried and served with a mole sauce and margaritas

Never tried to eat a spider so can't help there

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

I see a lot of guys complaining about Phoenix traffic. I used to hate it, and the roads, too.
    Then I moved away.
    Good God, you don't know how great you have it. Try out a commute that takes 40 min to go less than 6 miles...

3. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Ahwatukee area? Thoughts, experiences, anyone?

4. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

This.

Seattle traffic is about the damn worst traffic for no good reason.

And I've driven through L.A. a few times.

Phoenix highways encase the metro area in a big rectangle, which is super convenient for getting around. Yeah, your commute will take you little while if you're going all the way across town, but I've sat on the I-5 between downtown Seattle and Shoreline for a good hour and a half when it takes 10 minutes if no one is on the road.

5. vcode

vcode Tele-Meister

If we knew what your needs and wants were, we could be more helpful.

6. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Would like to live within 30 minutes of work which is on N Central Ave downtown. Need a safe neighborhood for the wife. I'll be renting for the first year and would like it to be as pleasant as possible while we look for a permanent home. Ahwatukee was recommended by more than one person.

7. malred71

malred71 TDPRI Member

I live in central Phoenix and there are bunches of condos going up around me. At 8 in the morning it takes me 20 mins to get to my shop a few blocks from ASU in downtown. Any other time its 10 mins away all on surface streets. If you can be walking distance to the light rail it will drop you off right at ASU. Parking downtown sucks. On a lighter note the food truck over on 16th st and Van Buren has the best burrito I've ever had.

8. DannyStereo

Better than Filiberto's?

9. malred71

malred71 TDPRI Member

WAY BETTER than Filiberto's. Of course Filiberto's is pretty good sometimes too. They have some good salsas.

10. DannyStereo

Ill have to check it out next time I'm in town

11. piece of ash

piece of ash Friend of Leo's

Tempe... just 2-3 miles south of the campus should do nicely... you will have minimal traffic issues there. North of the campus is older... and hit or miss.

I just came from that exact location 4 years ago. Wish I was still there... Houston is a swamp.

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Downtown PHX is in the process of gentrification. Lots of condos as mentioned by malred71, new and nice, but also historical neighborhoods that might be hit or miss. The wife and I might move down that way eventually, but right now it adds 20 mins to my commute and disrupts the kids' school.

Downtown PHX=not exactly safe, patchy; Tukee= generally safe, very safe in Foothills area. If you're bringing a family, find a place in 'Tukee and push that 30 minute commute. If it's just you and your lady, try downtown--enjoy the scene before you find what floats your boat in this town and mind the 'hood round the block. Budget, again, is key here.

13. vcode

vcode Tele-Meister

Based on this, I would rule out all East-Valley areas such as Apache junction, Fountain Hills, Gilbert and parts of Mesa and Tempe. Ahwatukee is nice enough, but it's a bedroom community and very conservative, even by AZ standards. Strip malls, chain stores and so on. Ahwatukee reminds me of Irvine Ca. sprawling suburbia.

The demo is 50% midwesterners and locals, who are also older. This usually translates into a boring, bland scene for nightlife, music and food. Which may or may not be to your liking, especially coming from Boston.

As others have suggested, there are lots of gentrified areas in PHX proper as well as slightly more outward zones served by the light rail. My guess is that you will find these types of places more to your previous experience.... of course until it hits 115 outside :)

http://www.movoto.com/ahwatukee-az/85044/demographics/

14. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

What about north Phoenix? Scottsdale and Paradise Valley too pricey, I've been told traffic from the north to N Central ave will be lighter.
    I've also been told there are great neighborhoods and 'pockets' north.

Noob needs help!

15. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't know about this. When I was traveling around the country doing IT work, I drove in LA rush hour traffic, NYC rush hour traffic, Boston rush hour traffic (while the Big Dig was still going on) Miami/Dade, Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Seattle and Portland a lot. But nothing, nothing, was as bad as the 4 hours I once spent getting from Glendale to Tempe one evening.

16. DannyStereo

Must've been an accident on the road?

17. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Nope. No accidents. A locale told me it was just Friday evening.

18. DannyStereo

Strange. I've spent a good amount of time in the PHX metro area, in the summer even, and the only time I ever hit that kinda traffic was trying to get downtown for my college graduation (University of Phoenix). And even then it only took me about an hour from Peoria.

Anyway, I experience Tacoma/Seattle traffic far more often, and it's always a creep for no apparent reason.

19. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

One evening, like you said. An anomaly, not the norm. I drove in Phoenix for 13 years.
    There are some places that slow down, but it never comes to a dead stop the way it does here in SoCal where I am now. I work in Newport Beach and live in Tustin, less than 6 miles away. Leaving at 5 it takes 45 minutes. I've also never living anywhere else where you can find yourself in a traffic jam on 6PM on Sunday, but I have here many times. That is just wrong.

20. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

http://www.sigalert.com/

I've been tracking traffic patterns in Phoenix for a couple weeks, seems like most of the traffic around downtown is west and southeast.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.