1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moving to Nashville...now what?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ns10Fan, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Ns10Fan

Ns10Fan Tele-Meister

So, after living in Peoria, IL for the last 5 years, I decided it's time for me to move on...well, that, and the current band isn't doing too much, unfortunately.

So, my brother and I have decided to pack it up and move to Nashville this May. Ought to be interesting. Have only been there on tours, and to record once at Ocean Way, but I know they have Gruhn, Rocketown, and Swett's. Three fine reasons if any. Other than that, I don't know anyone.

I've got a transfer job in already, so work shouldn't be an issue, but I'm hoping to get a foot in somewhere eventually and intern at a studio. Unpaid probably, and long weeks. I'm prepped, as it's one of the few things I am pretty good at. If I can't, then I guess me and my brother will just find another drummer and maybe a singer, and tour the country a bit more. :D

Any suggestions for a new-blood in Nashville?

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Good luck man...

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

Get a black velvet Elvis and burn candles in front of it!

Seriously, stay loose and be ready for any possibility, including no possibilities. Live your life and hope for the best!

Good luck,

Tim

4. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

the lunch buffet at the Sitar would be the best advice I can give, after that Roberts Western Wear for fun... and Best o' Luck!

5. wierdOne

wierdOne Tele-Holic

Practice.

6. emiller45

emiller45 Tele-Holic

There is a saying in Nashville: "When you get to Nashville, the best is only average."

When building a career in Nashville, there is talent, but also perserverence, public relations, networking, etc etc. In short, approach it as a business.

Good luck.

7. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Nashville IS just one big business. Get there, get yourself into a good job, get a good apartment, and make TONS of friends. The best thing you can do is just hang out at as many places as you can and make as many friends as possible. It's all about networking. Don't have idle days. If you have free time, you should be spending it at musical venues, music stores, writers nights, etc. You need to hang out at places like the Bluebird Cafe, the Nashville Palace, the Country Music Hall of Fame Lounge, Tootsies, The Stage, Roberts Western World, The Tin Roof, Country Legends Corner, Fuel, Wild Horse Saloon, Printer's Alley, The Pond, Edgehill Cafe, The Rutledge, and all of those kinds of places.

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I know your not supposed to sell stuff on the TDP, but I m moving to Portland, OR as soon as I sell my house 23 miles from Nashville.

Come buy it and we can both be happy. ;) Seriously, If you need and info on where to live and affordability etc, PM me. I have been here since 02, and time for me to move on.

Nashville, Rocktown for the young at heart, the Ryman of course, 1/2 a dozen great clubs on Broadway downtown for honky tonking and chatting up some players maybe. Printer's alley has the Mercy Lounge, Murfreesboro about 20 mile to the East of NasV in the other direction from me has a nice college downtown with lot of music choices, some a little less country as compared to downtown... Thnin Rocking Blues more...

Ciao, Robt

9. rextasy

rextasy Tele-Afflicted

Yes: Don't wear a cowboy hat; everyone'll think you're a tourist.

Seriously, East Nash is the hip young and cheap place to live. Surrounding counties are good for a smaller-town vibe.

10. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

ditto on the don't wear a hat, and check out The Fiddle and Steel. I know some guys that used to be Nashville players and at one time that was a cool place to hang out.

11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Go to Grimey's Record store, go to that BarBQ place on the same block as Gruhn's and if ya want, go into Gruhn's.

They watch you like a hawk and ya can't pull anything off the wall yourself but it's cool to say you went...

I liked Nashville a lot. Went there to visit an industry guy so we saw a lot of stuff off the beaten path and I liked the vibe.

Say Hi to Jack White !

12. DMace

DMace Friend of Leo's

Nashville is a music business town. There are extremely talented musicians everywhere, and it definitely raises your game, but in the end, it's a biz town. If you have 'product' you could succeed to a degree, if you know how to promote it and are relentless in your networking . But if you're looking for a rewarding music scene, you will be very, very let down. I had a friend years back who was playing to 15 people. Then, someone in the biz saw him and he got a publishing deal. Suddenly, he was playing to a packed house, mostly of 'biz' people. When he lost the deal a year later, he went back to playing to 15 people: same guy, same music. It's that kind of town. :D

13. robt57

Bear in mind that there are hundreds of others willing to play to that same 15 people even at a loss to get the better gig. The good part is the music shows that kind of blind dedication and talent abounds. I have a few friends that came here for music and say the scene was better else where to make money gigging regularly. One friend from Pennsylvania finally got a gig playing with a touring band and quite his job and is on the road now for months. His chops are going to be killer when he gets back here I bet. ;)

14. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Find a nice young girl from the suburbs attening Vanderbilt.

15. robt57

Now that is funny, and a man that thinks on his feet too! :D

16. tele1

tele1 Tele-Meister

Stay away from booze and drugs....

If you follow my advice you will thank me years down the road..........

17. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

skewed minds think a like I suppose:p

18. Ns10Fan

Ns10Fan Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the advice...especially about the suburban girls. :lol:

I guess I'm glad I'm not moving to nashville as a picker...but more a rock and roller. Either way, it should be interesting.

I'm really not moving down there with any delusions of grandeur. I have a job lined up in a kitchen, and that's probably where I'll stay. :rolleyes: I just think that opportunity can knock a little louder in a real city rather than Peoria, IL...which is just a "big small town." If I could play to 15 people regularly, it'll be the same as it is now. At least if I don't succeed, I can see other bands that I like without having to drive 3 hours to Chicago/St. Louis.

I'm heading down there later this month to check out properties, and right now, I'm looking into rental houses around Hendersonville, Goodlettsville, and Madison. Any areas around these I should really avoid? (Realtors are good with words...)

19. robt57

That is exactly how I would describe NashVegas myself, mabye, just maybe a small big town...

Madison and Hendersonville are armpits IMO and have high crime rates, hit the demographics of these areas on the web.
    FWIW Goodletteville is even further from downtown than I am out west of NashV. like 30+ minutes. There are some expensive areas in these towns if yo can afford to get into the 300+ range IMO.

I would suggest you stick with Williamson county, the school system is the tops in the state and that assists the property value stability and value IMO.

20. blue water girl

blue water girl Tele-Afflicted

HENDERSONVILLE

I have lived in Hendersonville for over 30 years. It is a great place to live and raise a family. The crime rate is practically non existent. I have no idea where this information regarding Hendersonville came from, but this is a fantastic town with tons of great stuff to do and we love it. Madison on the other hand is another story, but it is a good distance from Hendersonville, separated by the town of Goodlettsville and the Rivergate area. So please don't be afraid to look for a home in Hendersonville. We have three daughters aged 16-25 that have been raised in this town - most people don't even lock their doors.

Here's a link to hendersonvile crime rates-

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/tn/hendersonville.htm

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.