1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Moving to a Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RyanSmuz, Apr 24, 2019.

1. RyanSmuz

RyanSmuz TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I was honestly thinking about maybe going the bassbreaker route (the 007). Should I really be concerned with the speaker being a 10 and not a 12?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Route67 and ReverendRevolver like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ha. The way I think of it is, I wouldn’t want to run a lawnmower in my house. For noise reasons of course. The average lawnmower runs at about 90-92dB

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No. Speaker size (within reason) says little about speaker frequency response.

Route67 likes this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

80dB is not super loud but 90dB you are getting there.

Certainly you are getting to the range where if you play for a couple hours your ears are going to be feeling it.

When I saw Gary Clark Jr last month I didn't have great seats.. I pulled out my phone it was 90dB as the baseline level for the show, more like 95-100 dB when they were kicking it up for solos and stuff... they went above 100 a couple times near the end. That was loud enough for my ears to be ringing all the way home and I had trouble sleeping.

So hard to see how 90dB is "home volume levels" when that's the baseline level at a show with a couple thousand people at least in the venue.

Heh.. I have about 50k of motorcycle riding experience.. if you've been riding for years and you're not riding with serious earplugs anytime you go over about 20-25mph you've just got significant hearing loss so your impression of loud is going to be way off. Highway wind noise on a motorcycle is REALLY loud. That is something I just don't get.. I pretty much never went without earplugs after the very first day I went on the highway and went > 55mph.

voodoostation likes this.
  5. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    I think it's a generation thing... over 100k on my bike - no issues here... are you talking to me as I see your lips moving but I'm not sure.

MilwMark likes this.
  6. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Afflicted

a blues jr will be fine.if it were me i would look into vht special 6 and the new 15w supro before making a decision.maybe a vox ac10 too fender has addressed the touchy volume pot issue on the blues jr.good luck!

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

LOL going deaf riding a motorcycle seems like a sad way to go for a guitarist.

If you're riding around town on a Harley maybe not enough high speed stuff to really cause as much damage, and if it's a bike with no bodywork that's the quietest setup in my experience.

The body work on racier bikes makes the wind noise a lot worse... it keeps the wind off your chest but makes it louder up around your helmet. A touring bike has such a large windscreen that it keeps it away from your head more.

I had louder exhausts on some of my bikes.. but on the highway or racetrack you can't hear the exhaust on those bikes.. the wind noise is so much louder that the only thing you hear is wind.

grolan1 likes this.
  8. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

Blues JR is well loved and inexpensive...buy a used one. It benefits from a speaker upgrade and, if you are so inclined, a few simple tonestack mods. Also check out egnater.

9. ajm763

ajm763 TDPRI Member

I used modelers exclusively (home user) until I bought my first amp a couple of years ago. I landed on the H&K Tubemeister 18 head with their 1x12 cabinet. 18-watts scalable down to 5-watts, 1-watt, and speaker off (built-in DI). It takes pedals well and I am very happy with it.

10. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Good choice IMHO. I use mine at the house, the studio and on stage – with a mic for the bigger venues. It has nice, tight cleans and can be overdriven if you like that even at low volume thanks to the master volume. I play very quiet at the house.

11. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

15W Vox Night Train

12. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

Blackstar HT20 MKII

13. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

I decided to go tube amp too, and I’m a home player too. Now I have an AC15 and a Fender 68 CDR. I get my dirt from pedals- an OCD and La Grange.

I’m really digging the 68 and could easily make it my only amp. I use the volume on the guitar and pedals and can play at any volume. I kept thinking I needed a Master Volume amp with multiple channels to play at home. Then decided a nice clean amp plus pedals would work better for me.

If you can go play some amps at the volumes you’ll be playing at home, you’ll discover the one you like.

All amps can get loud. That’s why there are volume knobs.

bftfender likes this.
  14. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

I recently traded my 200w amp for a Peavy Valve King head and 12" Speaker cab. I love it so far. It has a switch on the back of the head that can drop it from 20w, to 5 or even 1. 1W is perfect for home use. You can really get that warm tube sound at "apartment " level volumes.

15. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

Not in my opinion. I'm not familiar with the Bassbreaker, but I have several tens, and they all sound great.

16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Bassbreakers are all different sounding. 007 gets rave reviews. Play a few different things in the 5-15w range, note similarities and differences between makes and power tube sections and the tones. Then decide. When my Supro blues king shows up I'll try to post cell phone video of it if I can capture sound right. I like its sound better than Bjrs, but 15w might be a good size or too much for you. Play stuff to decide, then check reverb and use those prices to haggle locally. Buying used is good, you typically get much off and may luck into better tubes or speakers.

If you want to roll the dice on some 5w stuff, I'd reccomend a valve jr and an ibanez tsa5 to play around with. If you want 1 small amp, probably will be content with the bb007 for awhile before you want to experiment with JJs or EHX el84s and a new speaker. If you want a 15, test a Bjr, a PRRI, an AC15, and a Supro Blues King, and go from there after you test.

17. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

My advice take your favorite guitar hit as many guitar shops as you can or search used Amps, let the right Amp find you. Everyones taste is different and remember if it's a new amp the speaker most likley not broke in.

tfarny likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

If you're only going to be playing at home and you want to go with a tube amp for the "natural breakup" - that's not going to happen at a reasonable volume with a Blues Jr. I would shoot for something smaller in a tube amp (I play at home through a 5 watt champ with a 10" that can get to a sweet spot without being crazy loud). If you're not going for some level of breakup with the amp, then why do you want a tube amp? It's not true that all tube amps are better than all SS amps, not at all.

19. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got one of these and it's pretty darn loud - great amp though. I use my Super Champ XD for home practice and spontaneous jams and such. My HT 20 and AC15 are my gigging amps.

stratoman1 likes this.
  20. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

There's always the THD Univalve head. A 6F6 power tube overdrives pretty easy and a 6L6GA sounds glorious with a closed back 12". It's still a real amp though. They have a built in hotplate, but it sucks. Run it dimed and isolate your speaker. Still, there no such thing as a really quiet driven tube.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.