Moving my ES 335 in a household shipment

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
As mentioned, definitely do not leave the headstock hanging in thin air, on the neck rest. Pad it so it can't whiplash if a forklift drops it ten feet onto cement. (Even that $345 case won't save you if that happens with the headstock floating).

Pack all around the head with anything but bubble wrap. It wlll imprint into the lacquer as quickly as a couple days, and the marks will be there until you do a refin.

I usually leave strings on, and tuned down a bit, so they're still under tension, but not as much. And definitely place a neck shaped piece of cardboard between strings and frets. Strings are harder than frets, and the constant jouncing on the highway will put dents in them pretty quick.

Good point about hand carrying. If you're flying, buy it a seat. I too would rather have the guitar than any insurance money.

Good luck!

johnny7

Tele-Meister
If you are being moved by professional movers who have a national brand, it will be fine on the truck if it is a door to door move. I would caution you that if the movers are going to offload your belongings into storage for a few weeks and then reload it, I would consider a more robust packing solution for the guitar. Rule of thumb would be the more times a box is handled, the more likely there will be damage and/or loss.

If you are doing it yourself, then load it up high so it does not move a lot and remember where you put it. No requirement to loosen strings. Anu other advice would depend on the method of transportation you using to move your belongings.

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
If you are driving just take it with you and store it at your son's house/apartment. If flying, get a business or first-class ticket and you will get priority boarding and handling of you ES335 (where most likely you will be able to have it stored in one of the Cloak Closets onboard the aircraft). Should be able to get a decent airfare if you book a redeye or late evening flight.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
It’s a family thing. Thank you for the condolences. I have faith things will improve.
That’s the spirit! I’ve been doing the square peg/round hole thing in Cali for 54 years. There are worse places, and it’ll be worth it for grandkids. Best of luck with your move!

arlum

Tele-Afflicted
Platinum Supporter
I have a problem with trust. If I were moving .... my instruments would be moved in exactly whatever moves me from here to there. If I arrive alive so do they. If I don't it's all moot.

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
Yes, I’ve done the math sadly but my grandchildren are there and nowhere else. My son needs me so there I go. Against my better judgement. Believe or not, I got a good deal on a house with not so bad taxes.

Well, you are a good Dad/Granddad, this much is true.
And I admire you for putting family first.
I wish you good luck and Godspeed in this move and in your new situation.

California really is a beautiful State.
Too bad the crazies in Sacramento, L.A., and San Francisco want to ruin it.
:(

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I moved coast-to-coast several time. I’ve seen first-hand the damage professional movers can wreck on furniture (and a car!). That’s why I trust no one with moving my guitars. I pack them all into a car and drive them to their new home.

Rockinvet

Friend of Leo's
Well, you are a good Dad/Granddad, this much is true.
And I admire you for putting family first.
I wish you good luck and Godspeed in this move and in your new situation.

California really is a beautiful State.
Too bad the crazies in Sacramento, L.A., and San Francisco want to ruin it.
:(
Thank you my friend. I agree.

Mike H.

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
The moving company transported 17 guitars and 6 amps from California to Tennessee for me a couple of years ago.
All arrived in good condition. Just pack them well, label as "Fragile - Musical Instruments" and you shouldn't have any problem.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Loosen each string two turns of the tuner, and place a cotton cloth between the strings and the frets.

It will travel just fine.

If the guitar has sentimental value, any insurance you have on it for replacement will never reccover the emotional loss. Guitars are easily stolen and sold. I would never trust a moving company with a particularly important guitar.

Martian

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
FWIW I saw an interview with Vince Gill once and he said that if he's not playing his guitars, of which he has many valuable guitars in his collection, he always tunes them down a whole step regardless if they're being moved or simply sitting stagnate.
For many years I’ve done the same. Except, when the humidity is high I’ll also tune down to an open G. In fact, tuning to an open G has, over the years (decades) become a habit. Guitars love it, makes them happy.

erratick

Tele-Holic
Amazed that Virginia tax at lower income levels is higher until you get past 22k-34k and single in California. And Virginia doesn't increase tax after 17k or make an allowance for being married.

Virginia doesn't have more tax for over 300k earners? Virginia Tax code doesn't even go past working poor - the tax table stops before you reach annual income of a full time min wage in VA.

And Virginia's economy is 24th vs. California's 1st in the US. Hmmm.