Moving big/heavy amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

At 69, I get someone younger and stronger to move stuff for me when at all possible. I converted my Pro Reverb to head & speaker cabinet to make it easier to move.

Jlwctn and uriah1 like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What cab is that? I know the Phil Jones bass amp BG-800 has tilt back wheels, too. (84lbs)

[​IMG]

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

when we did load outs at the concerts there were always 4 guys on the ramp at one time pushing the gear into the semis , heavey gear like for Cirque de solier used a forlift and a spotter at all times , these 2 would communicate explicitly as they were in control , load ins were the same 4 people on the ramp 2 to push the gear to its marshalling and set crews to install

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

That one is a Peavey Blues Classic, with a 15. It lives at home, in my basement
    For gigging for me, it's either my Fender Mustang III or my DV Mark FGC121

wrvond and Tony Forman like this.
  5. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

work out more!

SacDAve and BobbyZ like this.
  6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I was in the moving business for a long time.

Wheels help a lot on a flat run. A properly designed two wheel dolly with stair glides help on steps going down. Up the steps, it's the same way they built the pyramids.

Jlwctn likes this.
  7. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Casters, then more casters. Good ones.

Jlwctn likes this.
  8. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

I have a light weight aluminum hand cart, purchased at a surplus equipment store.

Useful for hauling cabs, furniture, firewood and garbage cans down a 800' gravel driveway. Bungee cords are used to secure the load.

The best hand cart, weighs only a few lbs.

YMMV

9. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

All my amps are on furniture dollies.
    I had a water line break in the middle of the night in my last house years ago.

The entire house had at least 1” of water on all floors. These dollies saved my amp collection.

Plus they are cheap, stable, can be cut for a custom fit, move easily, and you can set your amp directly on the floor when jamming at higher volumes without messing with casters.

FB8E9877-530B-44CF-96D8-B55FAC0870CB.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Jlwctn, stormsedge and uriah1 like this.
  10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

11. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Correction: It's a 1996 Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 and a 65 Deluxe Reverb 1x12 that I purchases new January 2014 so I assume it's a reissue.

12. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

I've been dealing with having to move all gear for my gigs longer than I can remember, usually doing a solo. PA has been downsized to one or two Bose L1 Compact(s), a hard-shell large suitcase that has my mixer, guitar synth, mics, cables and harmonizer, and a long hard-shell case that carries mic stand, musuc stand base, drum throne base and extension tubes for the Boses. A Bose goes on my foldable hand truck, and my amp goes on top (usually my VibroDeluxe Reverb, but sometimes my 1968 Twin Reverb), then the computer case holding the laptop strapped around the handle and hanging in front of the amp (helps to hold the amp in place). All this takes three trips with my guitar going in with the tall case.

13. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Moving equipment IS my workout!:D

BobbyZ likes this.
  14. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Rather than overthinking it, this weekend I used the old hard wheeled dolly that I already have for moving a 412 to go play with a drummer friend and back home. It worked fine. Didn't need a strap. Lifting the cab and sliding it on it's back into the bed of my truck was easy enough. Using the dolly was considerably less of a pain than using my back, as I have done so many times in the past with 412 cabs, 212 combos, bass amps, p.a. speakers, etc. I figure that anytime I am going to deal with something big and heavy, I am going to be playing with someone who can grab one of the handles to get it up any stairs, so there really is no need for a fancier dolly. I am perfectly capable of manhandling it, but why be dumb about it? And I have already been there done that with the downsized amp thing. But I do prefer the sound of bigger cabs with more speakers and enough volume to hang with a hard hitting drummer when needed without assistance of a p.a. Miking a small amp just doesn't sound the same, missing the grunt and punch.

Jlwctn and Whatizitman like this.
  15. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

Do yourself a big favor and get the tool now, and get used to using it, pain free.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Jlwctn and BobbyZ like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.