Moving big/heavy amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by trxx, Feb 26, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Just checking if any of you have come up with nice or clever ways for moving and loading/unloading big amps and speakers to make it less of a chore.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Furniture dollies/hand trucks are cheaper than roadies. That's about all I got.

3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Yea, I think a wide one with big soft wheels would be nice. Along with a strap of course. I remember back in the day toting heavy amps and cabs across a gravel parking lot, up some stairs into a club. We had more back strength and stubbornness than common sense I guess.

And it seems like a good dolly would have a wide handlebar for helping to prevent the thing from tipping side to side.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    stormsedge likes this.
  4. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Harbor Freight sells all kinds of casters you can attach to the bottom.

5. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

uhpiou.jpg

joe_cpwe, BobbyZ, snottyboy and 2 others like this.
  6. Whatizitman

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Professional grade movers dolly and knowing the tricks of the trade. I worked for a friend that owned a specialty moving company off and on. Dude was a master and showed me all the tricks. Hell I'm 60 and have no problem moving a 100 lbs. 412 so long as no stairs are involved. I Don't Do Stairs!

Jlwctn, Ricky D. and 24 track like this.
  8. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

Yeah buy a hand cart. Depending on the distance of the load in I'll even put my Fender Mustang III V2 on one and wheel it along; and some folks consider that amp to be light. My bottom line is I like to saunter into a gig - not stagger into it. If a load in is particularly arduous then the Mustang will stay home and I'll take a Roland Cube 40XL....the sound guys can mike the damn thing!

9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I've had to, rather than use handles that are placed on the top of the cabinets, I'd bend over and grab the amp or cab in a hug and carry it that way.

aerhed and Whatizitman like this.
  10. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Get someone else to do it. They're called roadies:lol:

My old band got back together 6 years ago. The only gig-worthy amp I had was my 70lb, 2x12 100W combo.
    I had it laying flat in the back of the car. I leaned over to lift it, bending my knees & keeping my back straight, as recommended...
    and tore my calf muscle. It felt like someone had kicked me in the back of my leg, but there was no-one there.
    I was in agony...and still had the gig to play. I then bought a 1x12 Fender combo & a couple of small lightweight amp heads.
    My huge combo has huge castors, but I still have to lift it in & out the car. So I hardly use it now.
    Try some of these:-
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=273915335794

Tim S likes this.
  11. Whatizitman

Yup. Handles on any amp heavier than ~30lbs is useless. Even more so if the amp has extra depth, like a bass amp or PA cab. If it's less than 50lbs, hug it and lift with your legs. If it's heavier, put it on a dolly. It just ain't worth the pain and hassle.

And casters only work on smooth, level ground. And carpet. Otherwise, USELESS. Get a dolly with big..... tires. :twisted:

[​IMG]

Ian T likes this.
  12. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

I disagree. Casters come in all sizes.
    8 inch pneumatic, for example:

caster.jpg

Jlwctn likes this.
  13. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Casters on the flight cases and a folding hand cart/trolley for moving cabs and boxes of leads.

These are so useful. Big wheels better for rough paths and grass if playing in marquees.

68A04003-7E07-488E-8125-B5259DE29B4A.jpeg

Jlwctn and Tim S like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Casters do little to nothing for lifting or moving up/down stairs.

And who would want to mount huge casters to their amp? Regular casters or road case is plenty for basic placement on a stage. Anything bigger would be both an eyesore and unnecessary modification.

In any case, when moving heavy appliances, two wheels is often far more efficient and easy to maneuver than four. Once an amp is on stage, casters are there for placement. It's getting to the stage that is the issue.

15. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Yea, me too. I just did that the other night with a newly acquired (used) Peavey Combo 115. I definitely wouldn't want to do it often though. It is big around and heavy (90 lbs. I think). And lucky me, it didn't have it's original handle, which long since broke. I think I'm going to put a pair of handles on it and maybe some wheels (not casters) if I can figure out a good scheme for it. I'm fine with moving around a 412, but casters suck when there is rough pavement, gravel, or stairs.

rolandson likes this.
  16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

Jlwctn, aerhed, SheldonP and 7 others like this.
  17. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That is genius. I don't imagine it would be great in gravel, but the basic idea is nice. Do you know what it is called?

18. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

Stairs were not part of the original question.
    You objected to small casters, so here's big ones. I'd guess somebody that needed big ones would mount them.
    IME moving equipment from vehicles to stage - wheels are in the way in the vehicle and on stage. They are only handy when moving from point A to point B. They do need to be able to go over door thresholds fairly smoothly. And four wheels are definitely easier to move in tight quarters than two. Have you ever been backed against the wall while trying to turn a hand truck around? It sucks. On a four wheel furniture dolly you simply move to the other side and push in the new direction.

19. wrvond

wrvond Tele-Meister

That is slick!

20. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I keep a 750lb capacity dolly (and my vast heavy load knowledge from my beer delivery days), and a piano dolly. Both are hugely useful for many projects, AND cheaper than back repair.

Ricky D. likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.