Moving Bias Adjust Pot

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by blackguard1135, Mar 31, 2009.

1. blackguard1135

blackguard1135 TDPRI Member

Move Bias Adjust Pot?

Would anyone happen to know if moving the bias pot on my amp would make a sonic difference?

This amp has the pot located inside the chassis soldered to the terminal strip.
    It's really a pain to take the chassis out every time I try out a different set of power tubes or a different rectifier.

Not to forget, I don't like being anywhere near the open, exposed voltages inside—even though I use gloves and the usual precautions.

I would like to remove the pot from the strip and mount it so it's accessible through a hole in the chassis—like on a Deluxe reverb.

Thanks, John

2. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Shouldn't affect sound/noise at all if you're careful with where you route the wires.

You can drill the chassis and install meter plugs/jacks on the outside as well.

Only trouble is, when you bias it changes your plate voltages slightly, which in turn requires more slight rebiasing to get things right. You're always going to have to check bias AND plate voltages and adjust again.

3. blackguard1135

blackguard1135 TDPRI Member

Thanks Johnny

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.