Movie "Whiplash"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nighthawk, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Has anybody seen this movie yet?

I recommend it highly. Drama over jazz drumming.

Should be an easy best supporting Oscar nod for J.K Simmons. Gripping performances by Simmons and Miles Teller as teacher and student in a relationship that is almost sadistic.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

3. Jackson Jackson

Jackson Jackson Friend of Leo's

The writer in that review should be flat out ignored just for the fact that he claims Buddy Rich was "not a major jazz inspiration."

What a tool bag.

4. micpoc

micpoc Friend of Leo's

Perhaps, but Brody is a MAJOR jazz aficionado who has written on it extensively for years. Truth is, Rich does not enjoy the reputation in the jazz community that some of his peers such as Max Roach, Roy Haynes, Art Blakey, etc. It's somewhat analogous with Maynard Ferguson not enjoying the rep that Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Kenny Dorham, etc.; big with young "jazz lab" students, but not so much among the big name players and critics (though at times I've enjoyed both).

Nevertheless, I'm really looking forward to seeing this. I probably won't get the chance to see it in the theater, but I'll definitely see it on home release.

5. Jackson Jackson

I saw the movie last night, and I must say, I did not like it. J.K Simmons was amazing as usual, but I pretty much disliked everything else about the movie.

Upon re-reading the review posted above, although I still don't like his snarky tone regarding Buddy Rich and a few other things, his review of the film is pretty spot on.

6. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

Didn't see this yet. Want to.

Birdman is also drama (Black Comedy) over Jazz drumming. It worked for Birdman. Quirky and cool and the drumming keeps the viewer on edge.

7. Jackson Jackson

I'm not saying it's not worth seeing, art being subjective and all, and J.K. Simmons really is great, but it really felt forced, rushed, poorly developed and inaccurate to me. Plus I hated the main character and everything he stood for.

8. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Saw the trailer last week, read a review in today's paper. Plan to see the film soon. Then I'll be in a position to express an opinion.

9. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

I thought it was a really good movie! The acting was good and tunes were fantastic. It was close to the way I remember school and some bands and players. The music director reminded me of our choir director, except he was from the south.
    I might just watch it again this weekend!

10. José

José Tele-Afflicted

I saw it 3 weeks ago, not the best movie of the year but a good one.

11. Uncle Joe

I liked the movie. For me the New Yorker piece is spot-on. It's a film about abuse. Worth watching.

12. Uncle Joe

I've been thinking about this film.

**********SPOILER**************

This movie actually glorifies abuse. It's kind of sick really. Had it been husband abusing wife rather than teacher mistreating student the writer and director would be mercilessly criticized for the conclusion.

13. Nighthawk

Nighthawk Friend of Leo's

Well, I've seen "Wild" and "Big Eyes" in addition to this movie and "Whiplash" should still be a contenda but its not. I enjoyed "Big Eyes" and found "Wild? episodic. I still have a few to see.

14. Jackson Jackson

I agree.

15. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I saw it a week ago. I was engrossed, I’m not sure I agree it glorifies abuse. What I got out of it was the student was even sicker than the teacher. I don’t think Fletcher finally created what he was looking for as much as he created/found another probably worse version of himself. Thankfully we’re spared from seeing where that leads.

I don’t think anyone that plays music with others hasn’t felt the frustration that arises from others lack of work or the guilt from doing less than we ourselves should. I was able to identify a little in that regard although I’ve not found that anger works in any situation I’ve been in.

The music was fantastic and the ending completely riveting. I could hardly breathe.

16. The Bone

The Bone Friend of Leo's

Really looked forward to seeing it. Trailers looked great. Saw it. Hated it. Great premise, promising story, poorly executed, particularly the forced Hollywood scenes towards the end of the movie. Thumbs down.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Can you give an example of what you mean?

18. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

I agree that it glorifies abuse in this sense: If all the abuse was "wrong," he wouldn't turn out to be a great drummer. BUT in the end, he turns out to be a great drummer; therefore, all the abuse that got him to that place as a great drummer must have worked, right. Oh, and the conductor/teacher ends up in a good place too; no longer teaching but not living on the streets either, i.e. "punished" as we see characters in fiction who do wrong are traditionally punished; therefore, what the teacher did "wasn't so bad, was it?"

I did like the movie. I thought it was pretty intense. And as a guitar player, I always enjoy watching drummers get beat up. In the end, or because of the ending, I think we get a complicated, conflicted, confused view of the role of abuse in a relationship, whether it's parent-child or spouse-spouse.

19. Marshall_Stack

Marshall_Stack Friend of Leo's

I enjoyed it - but not for the music. It was training for a heavyweight fight.
    I was waiting for him to go into a meat locker and start drumming on cow carcasses. "You're gonna eat lightning and drum thunder!"

He was trying to get the swing - find the pocket - get laid - forget that last one, it was jazz. Playing jazz isn't running a sprint or lifting weights. Please.
    You know what Charlie Parker's best time was in the 100M? 2 cabs and a bus. And a pack of menthols.

But the movie does provide some great taglines - that can be used for many occasions.
    "Not. My. Tempo!" is a good one.
    So is "Dragging? Or rushing?" Repeated over and over.

20. upinthemteles

upinthemteles Tele-Meister

Hilarious movie, a little corny for me to take seriously

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.