Moved the B to the G on the Brent Mason guitar

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
While I admittedly prefer the B pull, last night I decided to once again give the G a whirl. My other guitars are still B pullers.

It took all of about 15 minutes to make the swap and be back in tune. Whichever string is NOT going to be pulled will have to be replaced as it is now too short. RE, if its currently the B, that string is now too short, grab a new one. The G is plenty long. The BM guitar uses locking tuners so that makes this a very quick and easy change. No string wrap or bend at the post to account for.

The intervals are now in a new place, which I already knew. There are some interesting pulls and releases, but not the same as the B phrases.

This time I'm going to give it more time, a couple of months, the last time I did this I spent about 15 min. LOL ! I did this on the Gibson Music City Jr which allowed for swapping the saddles, which is not the same as the new Glaser system .

The Glaser Convertible system is quite good, literally took less than 15 min to take it apart, make the change, put strings back on and be back in tune.

The problem for me is I keep wanting to play the stock B pull phrases which are not there anymore ! They left the building ! :)

VIDEO BELOW

Last edited:

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Ok I realize its only been a short time, but I sat down with the G pull this morning and , OK, its a keeper .

Moving traditional phrases from the B to the G is a bit quirky at first, but its position playing. It requires some NEW fingering which at first feels odd.

Many of the B puller phrases come out of what I call 3rd position, RE the D chord at the 2nd fret. The G pull moves over to what I refer to as the 2nd position, RE "A" Chord at the 2nd fret. Its a change of root chord starting points while also avoiding a string here and there.

One thing is for certain, if we are trying to play stock standard BAR chords, its not going to happen. Just like the B Bender, a good working knowledge of simple root positions up and down the fret board is a must. These are not BAR chord instruments .

The next thing is, its addictive once we play a few positions. we won't put the guitar down.

Last edited:

bobk

Tele-Meister
Ok I realize its only been a short time, but I sat down with the G pull this morning and , OK, its a keeper .

Moving traditional phrases from the B to the G is a bit quirky at first, but its position playing. It requires some NEW fingering which at first feels odd.

Many of the B puller phrases come out of what I call 3rd position, RE the D chord at the 2nd fret. The G pull moves over to what I refer to as the 2nd position, RE "A" Chord at the 2nd fret. Its a change of root chord starting points while also avoiding a string here and there.

One thing is for certain, if we are trying to play stock standard BAR chords, its not going to happen. Just like the B Bender, a good working knowledge of simple root positions up and down the fret board is a must. These are not BAR chord instruments .

The next thing is, its addictive once we play a few positions. we won't put the guitar down.

Later today I'll post an example , right now I require more coffee . I don't think I want a Double Bender but who knows...maybe.
Amazing how easy the switchover was……..I just followed the video……Ez……this is my first bender,I had it as a B for a year,now I’m trying the G……..g makes a little more sense so far..

Smokin OP

Tele-Afflicted
I'm so wanting to send a tele to Joe for a new bender. Thanks for the video!

One question, looks like your bridge & control plate are not gold plated. Is that just the camera & lights playing tricks or did it come like that or did you change it?

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm so wanting to send a tele to Joe for a new bender. Thanks for the video!

One question, looks like your bridge & control plate are not gold plated. Is that just the camera & lights playing tricks or did it come like that or did you change it?

The bridges are not gold plated, just the control assy. And yes , it was the camera angle / light etc...

Call Joe, he is always a good conversationalist !

THX !

tp

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
So I put the Mason guitar back to the B PULL, its not that I don't like the G pull, I do , but I have gigs on the schedule and I want to use the Mason guitar and I am not , for me, ready to show up with a G Bender . I could and I'm sure it would be acceptable but thats not the way I roll ! LOL 😀 I have several years behind me with positions, triads, intervals etc with the B Pull , I 'm pretty fluid on the gigs . I'm not anywhere near that with the G pull , so for me, it would limit my playing and creating on the gig. Instead of just playing , my brain would be trying to convert the B to G and play at the same time ! And that ain't gonna happen, at least for me. Like I said, thats not the way I roll. :(

Maybe its time for a Double or another Tele with the G pull ! Such is life ...

T Prior

Poster Extraordinaire
Thought you just got a Double Bender from Forrest
No not me, I have a single B from Forrest

I did acquire a double from Paul McEwen some time back but I sold it to a friend. I wasn't ready for a double, maybe I'll never be, who knows.

I don't want to become a Jack of all Trades and a Master at none ! I'm already doing that with a D10 Pedal Steel ! :eek: