1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Mouser is absolutely brutal

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by JuneauMike, Mar 4, 2021.

1. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've been online for over an hour and have not been able to find more than two products. This is the most crappy shopping experience ever.

Is there a trick to buying supplies from these clods? A secret website actually built for normal people who are browsing for things they want? I want to punch the screen. Arghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gevalt and Ron C like this.
  2. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's

What is it you're looking for?

I kind of agree, but part of the problem is that they have 10,000 different capacitors which are actually more or less the same. I'm not sticking up for them. Digi-Key more or less has the same thing going on.

3. JuneauMike

I'm looking metal film and carbon film resistors, all 1/4 watt, various values. Capacitors, box and electrolytic, various values, jfets various. So far I've found two resistors and after plodding through filters, Mouser can't find 100 ohm metal films in 1/4 watt, 5% tolerance. It's like playing Go Fish with a total a-hole who doesn't even speak your language.

4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Well, I feel better now knowing that I’m not the only one. I’ve tried to buy from both Digikey and Mouser a bunch of times but their sites and the volume of similar stuff overwhelms me.

My go to for capacitors, resistors, switches, etc is Amplified Parts. Not exactly the bulk pricing of Mouser etc but still quite good, the site is easy to use and shipping costs are very reasonable. Good selection and prices on guitar parts and tools, too.

hepular, Whatizitman and jman72 like this.
  5. no doz

no doz Tele-Meister

posting for tips, i've been delaying building some pedals solely because i have zero clue how to navigate mouser

6. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/

You're welcome.

As for mouser, sometimes you can narrow things down effectively with the search filters, but even then it can be hard to find what you want.

Mousers prices aren't always that great anyway, I prefer Tayda for everything I can get there and then go with someplace like small bear or AES for specialty/obsolete stuff like germanium transistors and high voltage caps.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    hepular, Blue Bill, basher and 3 others like this.
  7. JuneauMike

Holy crap. Bought all my resistors in like 5 minutes.

hepular, Ronzo, pi and 4 others like this.
  8. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Make sure you check out their selection of control knobs and powder coated enclosures too. The enclosures in particular are a screaming deal if you're willing to drill your own.

About the only thing there that I can find cheaper elsewhere are stomp switches, those can be had for a good bit less on Amazon for whatever reason.

JuneauMike likes this.
  9. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Never had an issue, just use the filters. After you use the site a few times you get the hang of it

10. JuneauMike

That was a pleasure. I bought 380 assorted pieces and it was $25. I was looking for one thing, and stumbled across 3 other things that I wanted, which is how I shop for guitar stuff generally. Mouser doesn't really allow for impulse buying, like that. No headaches. Thanks. They are wiped out re: jfets and input jacks, but so is everyone else.

Nickfl and telemnemonics like this.
  11. Armo

Armo Tele-Holic

▲ Couldn't get resistors from Mouser either?

Edit: when posted there was an inappropriate post about suicide above that has since disappeared. No dig at JuneaMike or anyone else intended.

JuneauMike likes this.
  12. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

oi! here's a trick i use. it's not the absolute cheapest way to get everything, and not entirely foolproof (sometimes you have to find the outliers), but it's close.

i use the filters to look for a resistor or capacitor in the package size and ratings i need, then i sort by price ascending. eventually you start to take a mental note of the brands and series you frequent, and that cuts down time too.

in synth land, people usually post BOMs for any projects with the mouser and digikey part numbers. I don't know why guitar DIYers won't make life easy for others. it's just copypasta for most projects, and easy to copypasta stuff into your own projects.

once i find a resistor or capacitor for one value (or get it from a BOM), i copy the manufacturer's part number. usually the value of the component like 104, 223, etc. will be in the part number. instead of going through the whole process of using the filters again, just change the number as needed for the part value. so if these 100n caps have 104 in the part number, and i need 1uF, i just change that bit to 105 and 90% of the time it works like a charm (different manufacturers have different conventions, but it's usually nothing too difficult to figure out) - takes you right to the part page when you type it into the search bar.

semicons and stuff like that there's only a few choices and it's usually down to package, so it's not a big deal. it's really just the passives that can be overwhelming.

but i disagree on the smaller suppliers stuff. mouser is usually the cheapest and the quickest for most things. the only thing that's generally more expensive at mouser is hardware, and usually i take care of that elsewhere. but on the flipside, a lot of that smaller supplier hardware inventory is no-name surplus stuff from china, and a little too unreliable for me.

13. JuneauMike

Good tip. Still, you gotta admit that's a lot of trouble to go through to give someone your money.

(And I'm new to all this so not really experienced enough to know exactly what I'm looking for yet. If I were buying on a weekly basis, it probably would get less frustrating. Eventually.)

loopfinding likes this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

here's a site that has BOMs up for guitar pedals with mouser #'s for future copypasta.

https://www.synthrotek.com/kit-asse...uctions/wired-tube-screamer-clone-no-pop-bom/

a lot of times out of laziness i just use those xicon resistors in there, since the part numbers literally have "100K", "2.2M" etc in the part number.

sometimes it makes more sense to buy the components as well from your hardware supplier. but sometimes they gouge you on them, or they don't have everything you need, or the BOMs are too big, and it may make sense to split orders between hardware at one spot and general components from mouser.

15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I remember that looking for crossover caps. Mouser was the only ones that had what I needed in stock in July. Just did a "Jantzen" search and got zero hits. Did a "Capacitor" search, and after 7 seconds, got 651,389 hits. Tried Z-standard, and after 60 seconds, got "this page not available" and some Chinese symbols. I DDG'd "Jantzen" and first hit was Walmart, and the Z-cap I was looking for. Hard for me to believe Mouser removed all traces of "Jantzen", so I have to believe their internal search engine or database is hosed.

16. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

their minimum order quantities have pretty much ended my relationship with them, that said if you find a project that saves their mouser shopping list it is a near magical experience

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

I have found other sites easier to navigate, but Mouser always had what I wanted.
    A tradeoff, perhaps. More work = preferred result.

18. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I find doing inventory takes forever as I don't have a good storage method yet, and I should after building pedals for a couple years.
    With Mouser, I apply filters one at a time. Sometimes the part that you want in the specific voltage, value and dimensions doesn't exist in their stock but something close does (ie: no 12mm diameter 1000 uF caps in 40 volts, but there is in 50 volts). It's easy to buy the wrong part, but I'd rather use Mouser than Tayda as I've gotten some off value from them in the past. Plus I get a Mouser order in a few days while Tayda takes weeks sometimes.

JuneauMike and loopfinding like this.
  19. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

You really kind of need to know what your looking for in advance. You can easily waste a bunch of time looking for parts that they probably don't have in stock. This is especially true with resistors and capacitors.

20. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.